• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
My Secret Lab chair (and my old DXRacer) is extremely comfortable and gives me proper back support that I was missing when using cheaper office chairs. And the recline and rock ability is too good to give up.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love when people are like "lol just get a used Aeron they're all over Craigslist for $300"

Ive been watching off and on for a while, there are currently 2 in my area, $1100 and $900. There are also two no-name ripoffs for a little under $300.

I have no love for gaming chairs and in the past have just sit-tested every chair I can find in stores locally. Current one is about 15 years old and wearing out and considering a secret labs as at lot of theirs are very low on the "cool gamer culture" design.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
How is the Staples one that we had a topic about a while back? Can any recent buyers give their experience?

There's the hyken which is popular and what you see recommended. There's also the dexley which is newer. It would be wise to go to a staples and try sitting in them. The hyken seems ideal for people up to 5'10" the dexley if you're bigger.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I used to use a Herman Miller in the office but bought the black leather secret lab chair when work from home happened. I prefer the secret lab chair I can sit in it longer and it's just more comfortable.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
used Aeron or Used humanscale freedom? I like the look of the freedom a little more. Also if I occasionally sit with one leg crossed under me on the chair, will that be better with a particular seat type? (aeron mesh with hard frame seems it'd be less comfortable for that). Yes I know its not very ergonomic but that'll take a while to train out of me

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's great. You can tilt the back independently about 75 degrees and then the seat can be unlocked to tilt back another ~10 degrees, so you can lay almost flat in it. I'm off work about 30 minutes before my wife during the week, so when my day ends, sometimes I'll just fully recline it, kick my feet up on the window sill and take a quick nap. That's where the pillow comes in really handy.

I'm also of the opinion that I think it looks nice, and the colors are rather understated (I'm 46, and am not into crazy RGB/gamer stuff). She bought me the gray/cyan one since we have a rug in the room that has similar colors and I use an XB1 controller that is the gray/light blue colorway, so like The Dude's rug, it really ties the room together. :D

just ordered, thanks dude đź‘Ť

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Jul 1, 2020
The Herman Miller x Logitech chair looks neat but it costs more than every other desk chair I've ever owned combined which says more about the quality of the chairs I owned in the past. I would definitely want to sit in it before I dropped that kind of cash on it though.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Corsair gaming chair in May and it's been great, head cushion, lumbar support, adjustable arms. Way better than my last 3, though not my favourite, that my ass destroyed long ago.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Staples one that we had a topic about a while back? Can any recent buyers give their experience?

I had the hyken mesh chair for a few years and loved it and just recently got the dex let one as an upgrade.

Ideally I wanted to pull the trigger and get a humanscale freedom chair with a headrest, but I just couldn't justify the cost right now with the pandemic and stuff.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Steelcase leap here and I love it. Had a secret lab omega and it was good, but does not compare in terms of support.

Yeah, "gaming chairs" have gotten better and are better than your average cheap office chair, but they don't stand up to higher end chairs that have been designed through years of research.

If you can afford it, there is absolutely no reason to buy a "gaming chair" over something from herman miller or steelcase. If you prefer that gamer aesthetic then some back pain is the least of your worries.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I love when people are like "lol just get a used Aeron they're all over Craigslist for $300"

Ive been watching off and on for a while, there are currently 2 in my area, $1100 and $900. There are also two no-name ripoffs for a little under $300.

I have no love for gaming chairs and in the past have just sit-tested every chair I can find in stores locally. Current one is about 15 years old and wearing out and considering a secret labs as at lot of theirs are very low on the "cool gamer culture" design.

See if there are any shops that specifically sell office equipment in your area. I'm lucky enough that I live close to one that has used high end chairs in stock pretty regularly and they also deliver.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's my body type but I have both a Herman Miller and a Steelcase that sit in a corner of my basement because I don't find either one comfortable. I love my $180 "gaming" chair I got from Costco though. I also have a $300 office chair at my place of employment that I find far more comfortable then the Herman Miller and Steelcase.
Also might have to do with what kind of comfort you might have been looking for. The herman Miller chair is not designed to make you feel "I'm sinking into the chair" kind of comfortable, it's more about how you'll feel pretty much the same from the first moment you sat on it to a very long sitting session. It also keeps your posture up right so it's one of the only chairs I can sit in all day without having my lower back hurt.

Not saying your opinion is wrong as maybe something about the herman miller chairs are not right for you, but I'm just throwing that out there because I see people saying Herman Miller chairs are not that particularly comfortable the first time they sit in it for a short period of time then change their minds after owning it for awhile.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're not investing in a chair so much as investing in your own body's comfort and longevity. Poor ergonomics and posture can have long lasting negative effects on your body. Chronic back pain is no joke and I'd gladly shell out an extra $100-200 to avoid that. Also the high end office chairs are durable and last 10-15 years or more and the lack of needing to be replaced every few years offsets the large asking price.
I can see that, but for me personally I don't have any back or posture issues to really need to pay that much more for a desk chair. Plus it's just not in my budget.

I have one of those older mesh chairs from Office Depot that's lasted since 2014 but the armrests are made with the fake leather materials that's broken off over the past year or so. When I do upgrade it probably won't be more than a few hundred dollars.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I sit on an old wooden crate with a cusion on top and maintain great posture... I would not take a gaming/gamers chair if I was given one for free, mainly because they look like shit.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
When I started working from home about 3-4 years ago I splurged and bought a Secret Lab Titan model. It's still rocking and comfy to this day. No problems with the central cylinder like in most office chairs that go out in about a year and get super wobbly. This thing is a fucking tank and I love it. Mine has orange trim on the sides but otherwise looks like this.

SecretLab-Titan-Chair.jpg

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
The thing about chairs fashioned after racing seats is they actually give the spine too much support, especially to the sides. This makes total sense in race cars, because you know, G forces are pulling you in every direction when you drive a car very fast. It is, however, super bad for sitting at desks at rest for prolonged hours. It can really fuck up your back in the long run. You need to be able to move your back around, and use your back muscles to give support to your spine.

Never go for racing chairs. The thing to look for is mesh backs and for the love of god no side bumps. You may think you want that support, but you actually don't.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If you're going to try and eke out nuance and distinction between these 2 chairs while simultaneously saying with a straight face that these

What the...? the Aeron and Leap are nothing like each other except they look like office chairs at a glance.
They both have very different sitting profiles and fit different people. It's pretty obvious you've never tried both.

The way I like to sit and shift positions throughout my day was uncomfortable on the Aeron due to the hard rim it uses.
With the Leap I can comfortably shift a leg under another on the seat.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I bought a "gaming chair" in April, unknown brand, and it's mostly the same as any other one. Just much much cheaper. I'd love an office chair, but here they go way too expensive, like three times what I paid for the "racing" one. I know they're worth but you know what? I'm perfectly happy with what I have. It's really comfy, much more than I expected. It's just fugly, but eh

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I know next to nothing about chairs. In my 20s and 30s I went through a few chairs that I bought from big box stores like staples. They were all pretty trash. They felt flimsy and hard, no matter what I paid for them.

The last time I bought an office chair, I contacted the supplier from work. They gave me a catalogue and I ended up buying the chair that I use at work. I find it very comfortable. Felt like since I didn't know anything about chairs, I could screw up less if I went with the government's supplier.

It looks a bit like those popular steelcase leaps, and I've been using it for about 10 years now and it is still going strong.

It looks like this: https://ergocentric.com/product/geocentric-tall-back/

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah, I don't get it. I just get whatever Costco has when my main one is getting old, and that's like a 10 year cadence.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
If you look around you can usually find quality ergonomic chairs with mesh backs that aren't as expensive as a Herman Miller and aren't branded like Milhouse's dad's bed. Stuff that's made for bulk buying for modern offices and stuff, usually doesn't have a brand name attached but the reviews can point you in the right direction.

I found a basic mesh-backed office chair with great lumbar support on amazon that has lasted me half a decade and hasn't had any sagging or give. No name brand, but really well made and cost like $250.

stuff like this is miles better than highly marketed chairs (gamer or otherwise)

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really dont mind my gaming chair. As a tall boy it's very hard to find ergonomic chairs that actually fit my frame properly, especially because I prefer a high back, and from what i've experienced, the higher end chairs with actual head rests usually land in between my shoulder blades, or at best on my neck, but never on my actual head.

Plus at home I love being able to tilt the chair almost all the way back so I can put my legs up, when I'm just watching videos. plus, yes, the '4d' armrests are actually useful because I have my keyboard on a tray below the desk top and my mouse on the desk top, so I nede to have them at different levels sometimes.

definitely not the comfiest chair in the world, but has its uses.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a WorkPro(R) Quantum 9000 Series Mesh back chair off Amazon back in May. Mesh has held up well, and it's been very comfy. Especially over the summer. Even has padded armrests even if they don't time travel.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I really dont mind my gaming chair. As a tall boy it's very hard to find ergonomic chairs that actually fit my frame properly, especially because I prefer a high back, and from what i've experienced, the higher end chairs with actual head rests usually land in between my shoulder blades, or at best on my neck, but never on my actual head.

Plus at home I love being able to tilt the chair almost all the way back so I can put my legs up, when I'm just watching videos. plus, yes, the '4d' armrests are actually useful because I have my keyboard on a tray below the desk top and my mouse on the desk top, so I nede to have them at different levels sometimes.

definitely not the comfiest chair in the world, but has its uses.

The Secret Lab Titan was made for tall boys like you and me. I'm 6 foot and it's made for 5'11" on up.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What the...? the Aeron and Leap are nothing like each other except they look like office chairs at a glance.
They both have very different sitting profiles and fit different people. It's pretty obvious you've never tried both.

The way I like to sit and shift positions throughout my day was uncomfortable on the Aeron due to the hard rim it uses.
With the Leap I can comfortably shift a leg under another on the seat.

quietly scratches aeron off my list

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The Secret Lab Titan was made for tall boys like you and me. I'm 6 foot and it's made for 5'11" on up.
Nice. I feel like I wouldnt like... side-grade from my current gaming chair to another gaming chair until this one falls apart. My ideal woiuld be to find a mesh chair that has all the same functionality, because I'm damn sweaty. Its also why I'm hesitant to go for fabric over pleather, even if it's less hot I'll sweat anyway and it's not as easy to clean.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you like putting your leg up from time to time, don't get the Aeron. That rim on the mesh's edge of the seat is not flexible.
I used an Aeron for years at work, but purchased a 2 year old Leap v2 for home. I love it.

do you know if the human scale freedom should be ok for that? Leap is also on my shortlist

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Yeah, there's no way I'm buying a chair for 1k. I wouldn't even go over $200 for a chair.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Gaming chairs beat any office chairs. Never had like this amount of back pain relived before . Office chairs give me all sorts of pain though.

I do wonder if it has to do with my height and how big I am (not weight wise but yeah)

(I don't suggest getting a secret lab or whatever though cause it's all the same)

:Tip - Turning the lumbar support upside down may feel better for some

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'm at the start of year three on a Secretlab Titan, and while the comfort/support has been alright, the thing is falling the hell apart. Both arms are squeaky nightmares, the material of the armrests has started splitting in half around the sides, and the chair has started to lower itself faster than it did at first, needing to rise it back up almost daily. I need to see if it's still covered by any warranty. Definitely regret not going with a cheaper Ikea chair or something, or alternatively going with a more expensive actually-nice office chair.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I just recently spent like $500 on a Secret Lab Titan chair and it just seemed to be the best fit for what I was looking for, regardless of the labeling as a "gaming chair."

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get a used Aeron in january, way before the boom/sell out period, and all I could find in NY were shady sites and listings and the 2 I managed to find were dirty as all hell and had defects everywhere. I'll just never trust some craigslist posts that have 8000 listings with different variations of the same pictures.
Settled on a cloth chair and will be getting a brand new Aeron at some point.
I've got an Aeron and I'm happy with it, but I wish I could have gotten one with additional bells and whistles like better arm rests and the high end lumbar support.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Leap V2 would be my personal choice even if it cost more. Beware of places like Madison seating and other "refurb" vendors that in some cases replace seat cushions and fabrics with shoddy material. I'd look for a used chair from someone over one of those.
Can't speak on the Aeron but I got a steel case leap v2 for around your price and really like it.
Looks like I'm pulling the trigger and grabbing a Leap tomorrow night.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I started with a faux leather chair that was alright.

Once that start to break down, I gave it to a friend and got a generic mesh chair from Staples. I really liked this chair in spite of the mess material being kind of rough. The lean limiter broke so I had to replace it.

I purchased a pre-owned Leap chair and it was pretty good except for long sessions. I found my tail bone would start to really hurt after an extended session. Other than that, it was great. I really liked all the adjustable stuff but I did miss the mesh.

After using the Leap for years, I decided to go back to mesh by getting a HM Aeron Remastered. I can see why some don't like this chair. It makes you sit a certain way to maintain your posture. If you like to sit with one leg under the other, this is not for you. As for me, I love it. Extended sessions are no longer a problem. The mesh is smooth and seems to get softer over time. The armrests feel *so* good. This is easily the best chair I've ever owned. I'm 5'7" and I have the B size. I work from home permanently now so I'm in this thing A LOT. Work, gaming, whatever, I'm always comfortable. Never had a chair that supports my back when leaning back and forward.

I will never own a "gaming" chair.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I've had a GT Omega Racing chair for 4 years, and I've been working from home in it for the past 9 months. I've had no complaints. It's comfortable for long stretches and I don't suffer from back pain of any kind.

I don't know what the consensus is but from a few anecdotes in this thread and beyond, mileage seems to vary a little more than what GamersNexus gives credit for.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've used DXRacer, Secret Lab, and now I use a Herman Miller Aeron, amongst a handful of cheap Staples chairs. Honestly, haven't found any of them to be comfortable. Maybe my body is defective.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I know next to nothing about chairs. In my 20s and 30s I went through a few chairs that I bought from big box stores like staples. They were all pretty trash. They felt flimsy and hard, no matter what I paid for them.

The last time I bought an office chair, I contacted the supplier from work. They gave me a catalogue and I ended up buying the chair that I use at work. I find it very comfortable. Felt like since I didn't know anything about chairs, I could screw up less if I went with the government's supplier.

It looks a bit like those popular steelcase leaps, and I've been using it for about 10 years now and it is still going strong.

It looks like this: https://ergocentric.com/product/geocentric-tall-back/

Yes, exactly. There's a lot of tier 2 office chairs that are good too, and a bit cheaper. I mentioned Allsteel in my post about my chair, Iove my Relate and it was only $160, an Aeron from the same place would have cost me like $350. Although if I had known I'd be working a whole year from home (and not just one day a week and the occasional holiday/sick day) I might have spent the extra on a Steelcase.

The biggest problems I see with the gaming chairs are typically weird back support, and insufficient or no elbow support (especially the IKEA Markus, I can't see how anyone can insist that is a good chair that knows anything about ergonomics).

You guys using these garbage chairs for hours at a time will quite likely pay the price in ergo damage some day. I had tendonitis in my 20s and still have to be careful with my wrists - when you spend all day at work on a desk / keyboard, and then go home and game too - very dangerous. I guess if all you do is game for an hour or two a day and never computer otherwise, you'll probably be fine. Anyone using PCs for extended hours really needs to look into getting a chair with good ergonomics - that means adjustable arms that can support good ergo for your arms/wrists (up /down/ left / right / forward / backward) and decent back support. Anyone doing more than a couple of hours a day should really invest in a good ergonomic chair.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I had the hyken mesh chair for a few years and loved it and just recently got the dex let one as an upgrade.

Ideally I wanted to pull the trigger and get a humanscale freedom chair with a headrest, but I just couldn't justify the cost right now with the pandemic and stuff.
I bought a Hyken about a year and half ago after so many here recommended it and I still absolutely love it and have had zero issues.

Thanks guys!

Regret getting it tbh.

13766665.jpg

How tall are you btw? I'm only 5'9 and heard it isn't good for taller peeps.