• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
yeah buy a herman miller aeron on craigslist. i used one at work for five years, and bought one when we started WFH

gaming chairs are the worst

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've googled a bunch of chairs mentioned in this thread and I have second hand embarrassment for y'all. I don't mean to be a dick but "gamer" branding is so painfully cringe and tacky.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love my Secret Lab chair 🤷🏻‍♂️

This me. Shopped around. Tried a bunch of office chairs. Love my chair. It's super comfortable and has been a life saver for working from home.

I've googled a bunch of chairs mentioned in this thread and I have second hand embarrassment for y'all. I don't mean to be a dick but "gamer" branding is so painfully cringe and tacky.

If stuff other people buy for their homes is making you embarassed, that's a you problem and you have failed at your stated goal of not being a dick with your silly post.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Love my Secret Lab chair 🤷🏻‍♂️
Same here. My wife bought me a gray cloth Omega with the cyan accents for Christmas last year, and I've been using it all through quarantine/COVID and I would never go back to the Aeron I was using before. That thing never fit me right, no matter how much I adjusted it, and I used it for a good 8 years, so I tried. LOL

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Same here. My wife bought me a gray cloth Omega with the cyan accents for Christmas last year, and I've been using it all through quarantine/COVID and I would never go back to the Aeron I was using before. That thing never fit me right, no matter how much I adjusted it.

I think I'm gonna get one of these. How is the recline feature?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one I recently bought. The MyoChair. I'm a PC gamer, though. I love this fucking thing. It's not perfect, but I ain't paying more than like $250 on a goddamn chair.
This looks legit. Also agreed, paying hundreds of dollars for a desk chair doesn't make sense to me. I may get this in the coming weeks after looking at more reviews, thanks.

Also yeah gaming chairs are also kinda wack lol, if someone is rocking one then you do you.

Oct 25, 2017
I looked into what the difference was between Logitech's Herman Miller chair and a normal one, other than the colors. As far as I can tell, the difference is one of posture - the Logitech version is designed for sitting more upright, while the normal version of the chair is designed for leaning back a little into the chair. It has some extra padding allowing for that upright posture. The theory is while playing tournament games people aren't sitting in the relaxed position recommended for regular office seating.
this is basically why I have a secretlab for gaming and an aeron for work. I lean back while working and sit upright while gaming. Regret neither purchase, but if I was only going to buy 1 itd be the secret lab still.

for those looking for cheaper Aerons, I got one off of this site under scratch and dent status for $360: https://www.madisonseating.com/

doesnt look like they have any atm listed in that condition. It also took like 3 months to get it and by the time I did they had to ask if I was willing to accepot a different color to get it sooner. Either way worth looking into if you are hunting for an aeron.

and for everyone saying "buy an aeron on craiiglist" I assume you live in magical wonderland.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest reason to not buy a gaming chair is because they're the ugliest fucking things in the world, and make your home substantially tackier by their presence. Just get a nice office chair

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm gonna get one of these. How is the recline feature?
It's great. You can tilt the back independently about 75 degrees and then the seat can be unlocked to tilt back another ~10 degrees, so you can lay almost flat in it. I'm off work about 30 minutes before my wife during the week, so when my day ends, sometimes I'll just fully recline it, kick my feet up on the window sill and take a quick nap. That's where the pillow comes in really handy.

I'm also of the opinion that I think it looks nice, and the colors are rather understated (I'm 46, and am not into crazy RGB/gamer stuff). She bought me the gray/cyan one since we have a rug in the room that has similar colors and I use an XB1 controller that is the gray/light blue colorway, so like The Dude's rug, it really ties the room together. :D

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Got myself a Steelcase Gesture a month or so ago. Best chair I've ever used, and I've been through Aerons (at work), an IKEA Markus (hated it), and the Staples Hyken (loved it, but it busted after like five years of use).
I've been using the Gesture for almost 4 years now - it's amazing. Finally developing a slight squeak - it's still under warranty! Will have to call them for service. It's way way better than an Aeron, but to be fair that's a really old chair by HM. Their competitor to the Gesture is the HM Embody which I almost bought, really glad I tried them both out in store, the Gesture is better although I would have been pretty happy with either.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Secret Lab the other day, but decided on asking for a refund as it is still in "Pre-Order" until early February. If they honor it great, but I have heard enough from other owners (both good and bad) that if they don't refund me I won't feel absolutely terrible compared to some of these other "gaming chairs".

At 35 I am sure I need to start taking ergonomics into consideration more and more. Not only for my age, but especially due to my lung disease that gives me a barrel chest and the fact I can get my back pretty sore if I am coughing a lot. There are just so many choices out there and my budget is around 500 dollars thanks to money I got at Xmas and the possible stimulus check. Unfortunately there are no HM or Steelcase chairs in my area. I am looking at the IKEA Markus though as well as the Staples Hyken Mesh.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried out the WorkPro Quantum 9000? It looks like the Aeron, but it's a lot cheaper. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow.

Oct 28, 2017
Also agreed, paying hundreds of dollars for a desk chair doesn't make sense to me.
You're not investing in a chair so much as investing in your own body's comfort and longevity. Poor ergonomics and posture can have long lasting negative effects on your body. Chronic back pain is no joke and I'd gladly shell out an extra $100-200 to avoid that. Also the high end office chairs are durable and last 10-15 years or more and the lack of needing to be replaced every few years offsets the large asking price.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Almost bought a Secret Labs chair. Can't remember why I backed out. I think I was worried about it being too big or something. I ended up getting a quantum 9000 from Office Depot

www.officedepot.com

WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Ergonomic MeshMesh Mid Back Chair BlackBlack BIFMA Compliant - Office Depot

As your productivity heats up you can stay cool on this WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Mesh Mid Back Chair. The adjustable office chairs mesh back and seat help promote airflow to keep you comfortable when answering e mails meeting with co workers and handling day to day duties. The lumbar on the...

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that ErgoChair 2 has me interested. Not a bad price for what appears to be a good chair.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Different priorities n' all - but I'm someone who has spent a lot of time at my desk both at work and at home, (before pandemic), so have always insisted on a good chair especially at work (when they're paying).

For my home setup, after years of getting slowly more expensive chairs in the hope they're better and last longer, I finally caved and spent nearly £1000 on a Herman Miller.

Why?

Despite all the recommendations for good, cheaper chairs (2-300), they've all eventually fallen apart on me. Every single one.

I knew from experience at work that the Herman Millers were built like tanks, have long warranties, good service and a large market for aftermarket service too.

I'd have saved a fair bit of money if I had just bought the Herman Miller many years ago.

Additionally - sitting in chairs for such long periods of time is bad. If you're going to do it, it should be a good one.

It does seem like a lot of money, £1000 for an office chair (doesn't have to be that much though - could shave a few hundred off). But not once have I regretted it, it's something I'll probably have for another 10 years.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know why people in this thread are mocking the gaming chairs, nothing screams "I'm edgy hardcore gamer, shit so cash" quite like those chairs and then best thing is that no matter what brand you get the look is the same. You must have to love it, do you even lift bros? Pfff casuals.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a Vertagear PL6000 for a couple years now. I replaced it a couple weeks ago with a Logitech/Herman Miller chair. It's night and day difference.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'd never buy a gaming chair, but soon I'm going to need a new office chair, but its hard to tell which ones are good just looking online.

I like the one I have because it has a nice tall back I can rest my head on. Its also cloth which I notice most aren't these days. But my chair is over 15 years old and literally falling apart, so I need to do something soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
See one for 300 in a city near me. Would a Size C be fine for some who's 5'7?
biCk79J.jpg
that would likely be too large.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Almost bought a Secret Labs chair. Can't remember why I backed out. I think I was worried about it being too big or something. I ended up getting a quantum 9000 from Office Depot

www.officedepot.com

WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Ergonomic MeshMesh Mid Back Chair BlackBlack BIFMA Compliant - Office Depot

As your productivity heats up you can stay cool on this WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Mesh Mid Back Chair. The adjustable office chairs mesh back and seat help promote airflow to keep you comfortable when answering e mails meeting with co workers and handling day to day duties. The lumbar on the...

I'm going to buy this chair tomorrow, but I would like your thoughts on it first. How has it been for you so far? Any build quality issues? Is it similar to an Aeron?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of buying the ErgoChair 2 lately since I haven't been able to find any Herman Miller chairs locally. Anyone here have any impressions? I'm particularly curious if the bottom is any good? I find my mesh bottom on my current chair quite nice since it doesn't get very hot. Mainly looking to upgrade though since I'm interested in the lumbar support and the headrest seems useful if I want to recline my chair.

Currently have the Work Pro 1000

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
With chronic back pain I'm extremely satisfied with mine. Especially now with extended playing session and work from home I'm basically in that chair at least 12 hours per day every single day, Next one would be a Herman Miller but that's out of my budget right now.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I also echo the comments on the Aeron from GamersNexus - re it feeling a little underwhelming when you first get in it.

When I first tried the Aeron at work having heard so much about them, I was like "is that it?" - but it's only after adjusting it and then using it for a while that you feel the real benefit of it.

That is - it enforces a good posture that leaves you feeling less fatigued over time. It's not a chair you can get and lounge 'comfortably' back on, it's designed to keep you in a comfortable position for long periods of time. It relieves stress on certain parts of your body so you're not aching after a day in it, etc.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought a Secret Lab chair after some of my coworkers sold me on the idea and it's kinda disappointing for the price, before that I had a Staples Hyken Technical Mesh and it honestly did a perfect job even if it didn't have has many features as the Secret Lab one, sure I can now tilt at the perfect angle but there's no way I'm ever buying a "gamer" chair ever again. I might try the Aeron in a year or two if I can get a decent price on the Secret Lab.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to buy this chair tomorrow, but I would like your thoughts on it first. How has it been for you so far? Any build quality issues? Is it similar to an Aeron?
No build quality problems so far, but I've only had it for less than a year. This was also the first time I spent quite a bit on a chair as my previous one was a Renberget from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/renberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-50332238/) and the Quantum was an incredible upgrade over it lol.

Can't comment on comparisons to an Aeron but I always heard that the Quantum 9000 was one of the better, cheaper alternatives.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm actually about to get a new chair but I'm having trouble deciding between a Herman Miller Aeron or Embody. What are the primary differences between the two outside of how they look?

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
No build quality problems so far, but I've only had it for less than a year. This was also the first time I spent quite a bit on a chair as my previous one was a Renberget from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/renberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-50332238/) and the Quantum was an incredible upgrade over it lol.

Can't comment on comparisons to an Aeron but I always heard that the Quantum 9000 was one of the better, cheaper alternatives.

Thanks! I'm upgrading from an old executive chair that a buddy gave me. I guess if I don't like it I can always return it.

Everyone, it seems that this site is selling Aeron's for nearly %50 off. I've never used them or heard of them, but if you wanted a new Aeron for cheap here's your chance I guess.

Search results

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't even buy gaming chairs because of how fucking obnoxious "gaming" products look.

This. I just don't understand the asthetic. I purchased a nice leather "office" chair for my desk 15 years ago and outside of the armrests wearing and needing to replace a wheel it's still holding up just fine. And it doesn't look ridiculous. And it's far more comfortable than the "gaming" chair I tried.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
The biggest problem with gaming chairs in my opinion is that they don't offer many ways of configuring them. If you end up buying one, be sure to test it out first to see if it's a good and comfortable fit. I'm very happy with my NobleChairs Icon. In terms of comfort, it beats my $1000+ Okamura Baron (mesh back/seat) that I use at work. I also tried the Hero and Epic and a lot of other brands in shops but most of them weren't a good match (either uncomfortably hard or forcing a wrong posture).

My only complaint with the Icon is that it gets a bit sweaty if I don't use AC in summer, which would be much less of a problem with a mesh chair...

Oct 29, 2017
You know the Aeron design must be great because even the knock-offs are often damn good chairs just by copying the shape and use of mesh.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
There's also 2nd tier brand office chairs. I got an Allsteel Relate from an office renovation place for ~$160 and it is great (via a CL ad). Aeron would have been like $350 from the same folks.

Still way better than Staples chairs or "gaming" chairs.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking hate it that after years of anticipation, I finally pull the trigger on a remastered Aeron and find that the size B one is too small for me and C is too big. B was technically very comfortable but my knees stuck out pretty far from the seating part which I doubt is gonna be a good thing in the long run and C just straight up cut the circulation to my legs. At least I got it new so I can just return it, waiting for the good people there to come get it back.

I really wish someone sold Steelcase stuff in Finland. I guess I'll try an Embody next and hope it's better.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
But there are gaming chairs with cushioned armrests. I'm looking at 3 of them on amazon right now.
I've yet to see one which doesn't roll your shoulders forward though.
They're ergonomic nightmares and will fuck you up.
You're playing video games, not strapped into the back of your mom's car driving a race car. You don't need a bucket seat for gaming.

I don't particularly like sitting in an Aeron (had one at work) but I will say that a) they last goddamn forever and b) maintain their resale value. I had to sell some office furniture a while back and I had to make sure there wasn't an Aeron in the picture or I'd get barraged by people asking about the damn chair.

But yeah, just don't assume it's the perfect chair for you without trying one. We mainly had them for directors at the company and a few of them surreptitiously swapped them out for much cheaper Costco chairs since they preferred them (as did I, managed to get one for home).
The thing with the Aeron is that there are two models: the original and the remastered, and they have a number of different options - so not all Aerons are the same.
There are three sizes of Aeron too (there are dots under the top lip at the back indicating which) and the wrong size will be uncomfortable.
Seat width is also tied to chair size, and some might find them a bit narrow - especially if you are shorter and thicker.
The seat design does prevent you from sitting badly; e.g. crossing your legs, which was easier to do with the Embody.

It's definitely not the best chair for everyone; but very good for most if you're using the correct size, and adjust it correctly.
Read the instructions or watch a video guide. I say this because Linus Tech Tips "reviewed" the Logitech × Herman Miller Embody and did not even understand what each of the controls on the chair did, so it was not adjusted correctly.

After adding a headrest, I certainly prefer the Aeron Remastered to the Embody.
The arm rests are a big step up too - though I wish they could be adjusted a little bit higher for some tasks.

Tried the Embody for 30 days and the "pixel" support was tough for my back. Also, the seat made my hips kind of fucked.

swapped for a Steelcass Leap and I have never been happier.My back feels better and my hips have never felt better, and my tailbone is in great shape.

i don't think Embody was a bad chair, just not right for me.
I really don't like the design of the Embody's back.
As you adjust the lumbar support, it also changes the curve of the back, and my lower back/shoulders needed two opposite ends of the adjustment, so it never felt right.
I don't like that there was no headrest either - though that was an intentional design decision from Herman Miller.
It just happens that third-parties (Atlas) make some really good headsets that fit the Aeron.

I do wish that Steelcase had better worldwide availability though.
I simply could not get a Leap 2 with the options I wanted here, and prices were much higher than HM chairs.
I'm not sure that I would want to go back to a padded seat/back again though, after mesh, and nowhere selling the Leap 2 had a good return policy.

I looked into what the difference was between Logitech's Herman Miller chair and a normal one, other than the colors. As far as I can tell, the difference is one of posture - the Logitech version is designed for sitting more upright, while the normal version of the chair is designed for leaning back a little into the chair. It has some extra padding allowing for that upright posture. The theory is while playing tournament games people aren't sitting in the relaxed position recommended for regular office seating.
Is the back adjustment actually different? The standard Embody doesn't even have a true "upright" position.
The Aeron's default is more upright, and has a forward tilt option for the seat (some remastered versions do at least).

We have the aeron chairs in my work office. Never got the perfect fit because we do shifts so someone is always messing up adjustments i've made. May look into trying to get a refurb or used version for home. I definitely need to work on my posture and those chairs can definitely be good for it.
If I had to share a chair like that over shifts, I would take a marker to it and mark out which position was correct for me after adjusting it.

I'm actually about to get a new chair but I'm having trouble deciding between a Herman Miller Aeron or Embody. What are the primary differences between the two outside of how they look?
Try them if you can. I had an Embody for 12 years and prefer the Aeron Remastered.

I fucking hate it that after years of anticipation, I finally pull the trigger on a remastered Aeron and find that the size B one is too small for me and C is too big. B was technically very comfortable but my knees stuck out pretty far from the seating part which I doubt is gonna be a good thing in the long run and C just straight up cut the circulation to my legs. At least I got it new so I can just return it, waiting for the good people there to come get it back.

I really wish someone sold Steelcase stuff in Finland. I guess I'll try an Embody next and hope it's better.
You're supposed to have 2–3 fingers of space behind your knees when a seat is adjusted/sized properly.
The Embody seat can be adjusted to fit, but it's a bit of a flimsy mechanism.
The Aeron Remastered has a different curve to the seat which tries to minimize pressure points at the front compared to the original.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Secret Lab is the only type of gaming chair I will ever buy. Others are pieces of shit that aren't remotely comfortable.