• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 17, 2018
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus Bought it day one. Was so intensely hyped for it.

But, I think it is a genuinely dreadful game. MG is a guaranteed rent for me from now on.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Fallout 4 and NMS were both outside of my usual purview but I thought I'd check them out due to hype. Spent less than a few hours on each. Luckily got a refund on NMS.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Zekda Twilight Princess, it was an ugly bore with some decent dungeons but super easy combat and underwhelming midi music.those bug sections were the worst

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1. Anthem. Pre-ordered. Played through all of the demos and trial. Upon release, I never bothered actually playing the game because of how much I had grown to dislike it. Don't feel inclined to buy BioWare games anymore. Just not a good dev.

2. ME: Andromeda. I had played the 10 trial and thought to myself I would like it. The early parts felt reminiscent of the OG Mass Effect. Thing is, I never landed on the actual planets in the trial where the real gameplay is. Got to that part in the actual game and it was downhill from there. First regret from buying a BioWare game.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Halo 5 (the campaign, anyway), Wolfenstein 2, Sonic Forces, probably more... DMC5 a bit?
I'm surprised some people are listing Nier: Automata as a disappointment! :O

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV and Persona 5.

Street Fighter V, I suppose.

Maybe 5 is just a shit number? Even DMCV has some small issues, but really it's still a damn good game. I feel much, much, much better towards it compared MGSV and Persona5.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon so far. I'm about 10 hours in and I'm pretty bored so far. Hoping it picks up a bit.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Limiting my list to this gen, let's see..

Destiny
Final Fantasy XV
God of War
Halo 5
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nier: Automata
No Man's Sky
Persona 5
Quantum Break
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Witcher 3
The Witness

That's it, I think?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Devil May Cry 2- All of the trailers and promo material did its job and had me SUPER HYPED when i was a kid. When I got it and played it, I tried really hard to lie to myself thinking that this game was great at the time. In retrospect, it was a pretty bland disappointment for sure.

Watchdogs- I was actually pretty excited for how this game was going to change up the open world genre. In retrospect, it felt pretty mediocre and wasn't as great as it was hyped up to be. It's a decent and playable game, but just didn't match up to the hype that it got.

Outside of these games, Every other game has met my expectations i'd say.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Lot of potential here, but it seemed to me to be designed in such a way where it wants to discourage the player from having fun.

Nier: Automata - Honestly, I found this just plain dull. The gameplay wasn't particularly fun and the multiple needed playthroughs is a big no from me. Maybe I missed some big payoff, but I couldn't repeat the A pathway a second time. That's absurd.

Final Fantasy XV - Do I seriously have to watch an entire movie to make sense of this game before playing?

Horizon Zero Dawn - This one was probably on me more than the game itself. Releasing so close to BOTW; it never stood a chance. Impossible to play without comparing the two and unfortunately, this (admittedly well done) game just couldn't compete.

Wolfenstein 2: TNC - Terrible, terrible gameplay. It's redeemed almost by its brilliant story and characters, but the gameplay was real bad.

Doom (2016) - Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive. Run around, end up in an arena, strafe around and take out monsters. Rinse and repeat.

Everyone's Gone to the Rapture - SNOOZE. The story was not interesting and the movement speed made this feel like such a chore.

Persona 5 - I hear this gets rectified later in the game, but the artificial (yeah yeah, it's a game - everything's artificial) lengthening of the dungeons based on stamina sucked. There was no reason I couldn't power through a dungeon in one go, other than the devs don't want me to.

Fallout 4 - They improved combat, which I appreciated. However... the sense of discovery and stumbling onto quests, etc... was totally gone. That's why I play Bethesda RPGs and this did not have that.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Dragon Age Inquisition
ME:Andromeda
*Zelda BOTW
*MGSV
*FFXV

*Those last 3 I found myself forcing me to like them; tried several times but nope. They all had its moments but I lost interest fast.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Persona 5 was it for me. I really liked the game, don't get me wrong, but by the end I just felt numb. It was far far too long, and I felt I just didn't care about the characters. They had no time to breathe goddammit! They just kept reiterating through texts for hours and hours. Why couldn't they go on more vacations? Just cut a dungeon and give me some time to chill with them. Its odd that it was my GOTY but there something about it I just couldn't really enjoy.

It doesn't help that Persona 4 is my GOAT, and its a definite let down in comparison. I think only the music really surpassed 4, at least for me. I thought I would like the custom designed dungeons, but I ended up being ready to lay down and die at the length of some of them. I longed for randomly generated dungeons, floor by floor inanity. Also, the creepy juxtaposition of the first chapter, vs they way they treated Ann thereafter really bummed me out. Still buying the inevitable fancier updated edition, but maybe on a portable.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Mario tennis aces: I was craving for a tennis game for some reason when this came out and while it's not bad and the gameplay itself is great, there wasn't much to the game.

RDR2: I really wanted to get into it because I love the some aspects to it but the gameplay was way too clunky and slow for me to get into. It's a shame because walking around in 1st person in a western setting was so cool. Just wish it didn't play like butt.

Dark souls 3: a pretty big disappointment compared to DS2. Felt a bit too similar DS1 at some point and pvp/covenants were really disappointing. I love BB but I wish DS3 didn't keep trying to follow the trend of making bosses super aggressive. Just follow the rpg aspects and fun covenants of DS2 instead.

Sekiro: The 2nd and 3rd playthrough was pretty fun but I found my first playthrough a bit tedious with how punishing it can be and the exploration being unrewarding for the most part. Then the game felt too simple during the 4th playthrough since there isn't a whole lot of depth.

Mar 19, 2019
Dark souls 3: a pretty big disappointment compared to DS2.
Not putting Dark Souls 2 at the bottom of the barrel is a pretty hot take, my man. Very spicy; I like it. I don't agree, but I like it.

Zekda Twilight Princess, it was an ugly bore with some decent dungeons but super easy combat and underwhelming midi music.those bug sections were the worst
I feel like people only like Twilight Princess because of the 3edgy5me aesthetic. That's one of the things that pulled me out of it; I need some whimsy in my Zelda games. Also, all the staples of a good Zelda game were there, but like, none of them felt developed upon. This is a good take I wasn't expecting to see.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Not putting Dark Souls 2 at the bottom of the barrel is a pretty hot take, my man. Very spicy; I like it. I don't agree, but I like it.

I feel like people only like Twilight Princess because of the 3edgy5me aesthetic. That's one of the things that pulled me out of it; I need some whimsy in my Zelda games. Also, all the staples of a good Zelda game were there, but like, none of them felt developed upon. This is a good take I wasn't expecting to see.
Agree very much, whimsical Zelda is the best and honestly TP was the game that made me see it, im glad the series has been finding a balance, but firmly on the cartoony side.

On the other hand i loved Dark Souls 3 😃 best Souls

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 was one of my favorite games ever made so it was a massive bummer when I finally convinced myself that I didn't think I liked P5 at all. Although I do still wanna try and give it another shot eventually

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
FF13
God of War '18
Witcher 3

The latter 2 i just could not get into at all, approx 4 or 5 hours in.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us
RDR
God of War (2018)

All of them perfectly decent games, but I'd struggle to complement them any further than that.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I feel like people only like Twilight Princess because of the 3edgy5me aesthetic.
Correct, although it's important to remember the time in which it was released. This was the age of The Black Parade and The Nightmare Before Christmas merch taking over Hot Topic. It was the perfect time to send Zelda down the grim-dark path and it definitely payed off.

I'm not going to repeat my reasons for disappointment as I've talked about them ad-nauseum here, but Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is my biggest gaming disappointment ever.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's interesting that there's a lot of people here who loved Persona 4 and felt let down by 5. It might be because I played P5 a couple of years after it came out, but I didn't have any grandiose expectations for it. I expected something at least in the ballpark of quality compared to P4, but almost everything about 5 I liked better than 4 - characters, soundtrack, story, themes, gameplay, presentation, etc. It's easily my favorite game of the last generation.

Then again I never considered P4 a holy grail or anything, just a very solid RPG with a mix of dungeon crawling and life sim elements. Despite being "only" 70 hours, I was pretty worn out after I beat P4, ready to move on. I put 100 hours into P5 and immediately started NG+ upon finishing it.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
GTA 4/5
God of War
Spider-Man
RDR

I honestly think that big budget open world games just aren't really for me at this point haha

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Spore (2008) - For a game with so much initial promise, the end product felt super shallow. No matter how crazy you designed your creature, replaying the game was nearly exactly the same every time, and your choices didn't really seem to matter.

SimCity (2013) - Even once you got past the launch disaster (not being able to handle server load; lost progress; disabling Cheetah speed), you were left with a game that felt incredibly constrained, something designed to run on lowest common denominator hardware that didn't even seem to need the much-touted cloud processing. Left longtime fans of the series feeling burned. Seemed to have sacrificed the single player experience to support an online experience (which was still fairly limited). Then of course Cities Skylines came along and ate their lunch, so the franchise is probably dead at this point.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
It's interesting that there's a lot of people here who loved Persona 4 and felt let down by 5. It might be because I played P5 a couple of years after it came out, but I didn't have any grandiose expectations for it. I expected something at least in the ballpark of quality compared to P4, but almost everything about 5 I liked better than 4 - characters, soundtrack, story, themes, gameplay, presentation, etc. It's easily my favorite game of the last generation.

Then again I never considered P4 a holy grail or anything, just a very solid RPG with a mix of dungeon crawling and life sim elements. Despite being "only" 70 hours, I was pretty worn out after I beat P4, ready to move on. I put 100 hours into P5 and immediately started NG+ upon finishing it.

I especially don't get the complaints about the length of dungeons in P5. The loss of portability might be making the levels feel longer, but at least they look like real places. The dungeons in P4 are just the same corridor copy/paste over and over.

Mar 19, 2019
Agree very much, whimsical Zelda is the best and honestly TP was the game that made me see it, im glad the series has been finding a balance, but firmly on the cartoony side.

I mean, Spirit Tracks is best Zelda, so you can see where I fall in regards to the series's aesthetic.

On the other hand i loved Dark Souls 3 😃 best Souls
This is true. Dark Souls 2 is usually panned as the worst Soulsborne around, and though I'm 2hipster4thepopularopinion I ended up agreeing; seeing someone call DS3 a disappointment compared to it is a take I didn't expect to see. I'll respect the audacity, but I cannot agree. DS3 is probably my favorite Souls, too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I especially don't get the complaints about the length of dungeons in P5. The loss of portability might be making the levels feel longer, but at least they look like real places. The dungeons in P4 are just the same corridor copy/paste over and over.

Yeah, dungeon crawling was easily my least favorite part of P4. I just wanted to rush through them to get back to the Social Link stuff. I actually looked forward to the dungeons in 5. The only ones that felt a little long were 5 and 7, but just as I felt them getting too long, they ended, so I can't complain too much.

A big difference is also the opening. I don't even really remember how P4 opened, but I will never forget how P5 opened. That was a game that grabbed my attention immediately and made me go "okay, now I have to play this and see how we get here."

Then again I never played P4G, only vanilla P4. That might be part of the disparity.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Nintendo published games. They all get treated like they're super high quality worth your $60 gaming experiences. In my experience, some are, but most are not.

Kalamoj

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Dragon Age Origins - it was hyped as a BG successor, the actual game is a bland borefest
Brütal Legend - the demo worth a case study for false advertisement

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon age Inquisition: Just awful mmo stuff. So traumatized I was about this that it was the last bioware game I ever bought

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't very into either The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2, but I had a feeling going in I wouldn't like them so they weren't massive disappointments. I really admire their storytelling and artistry but I couldn't stand playing either of them, though I did brute force myself through RDR2.

Mario Odyssey was a pretty big disappointment for me. It's still a great game, but the lack of actual platforming coupled with being saddled as the followup to the absolutely brilliant 3D World didn't leave it with much of a chance for me.

I wasn't too into Devil May Cry 5, and it doesn't help that it was sandwiched in between RE2 and Sekiro, which are two of my favorite games this gen.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
Yoshi's Story back in 1998. I loved Yoshi's Island, and based on screenshots you'd think you'd be getting Yoshi's Island II. My parents wouldn't buy games for me, so I had to save my own money for them, which was a big deal since kids don't exactly make a ton of money. So you can imagine how disappointed I was when I bought the game on it's release date only to get the ending in maybe 45 mins or so.

It wasn't just the the structure of progression that bothered me though. Yoshi's Island just had larger levels, and much better design, art and music. It was just a step down from Yoshi's Island in every way for me. I think it was the first time I was truly disappointed in a game, and had the whole "buyer's remorse" and whatnot.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
BoTW. I bought Switch because of it, expected it to be GOAT based on reviews and impression but really disappointed with open world game structure

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Mafia 3 - Mafia 1,2 among my fav games ever. Mafia 3? Despite giving it several chances... I couldn't. The open world is utterly boring and the game's mission variety is non existant.

ME Andromeda - Only got myself to blame, I guess, after ME3. But seriously, not even a bad game... hell, it's even good for the most. But as a Mass Effect? It's dreadful.

Fallout 76 - I mean, Fallout 4 with co-op? Sounds great! Shame that its everything but. One of, if not the most janky, poorly designed, soulless AAA games I ever tried.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
The Wircher 3 was just boring to me and so after the 15hr mark I just uninstalled it.
Will also add Dark Souls 3,played for an hour and hated it,combat was clunky,menu system was a pain and the graphics were nothing to shout about.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
The original Destiny. I was so hyped at the beginning with the trailers and the developer interviews, but when the BETA was live i played a couple missions i was like wow, this is really it isn't it.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
RDR 2

Reviewers went completely nuts with the hype, no mention of any flaws whatsoever

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bayonetta 2: bayonetta 1 was the reason i bought a wiiu (together with smash) just to play this game. Bayo 2 is the reason why i'm not gonna do the same for the switch.