• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Graphical downgrades (The Division), unfinished games (MGS5), pay to win mechanics (Shadow of war), unkept promises (No Man´s Sky) or wisful thinking. There are plenty of reason a game could count as a disappointment.
Which games made you disappointed after they got released and why?

EDIT: Not this gen only, but tell us about your biggest gaming disappoinments EVER!

My personal list:

3. Final Fantasy XV - It felt unfinished, uninspired, rushed and shattered when i finally got to play it. Still thinking it´s the worst FF ever.
2. Anthem - Was really hoping/living in denial that it would be/have a great single player/solo experience. I was so wrong and 15 hours with the game i don´t want to remember its existence.
1. Mass Effect Andromeda - Loved the original trilogy which made me a big Bioware fan. ME:A was even the main reason i bought a new PC. Then we all know what happened. It´s not a BAD game per se. It´s just not the game it should have been.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why but I remember being really excited for Ni No Kuni and then finding it pretty bland.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Andromeda and NMS are the two most recent ones for me. Maybe I should stop buying space-themed games.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Mass Effect: Andromeda officially derailed my fullspeed hype train. I can still get really excited about upcoming games but nothing close to what I used to.

Other major disappointments include FFXV and MGS5. I could probably think of more and theres a decent chance I will update the list as I do but those are the major off the top of my head ones.

Edit 1: Oh, how could I forget considering I waited in line at the midnight launch for 4 hours - Fallout 4, oh my God that game disappointed me. I've come to like it a little more over the years but I've never been able to like it enough to finish. FO76 can also fall here as well, I didn't have high hopes but what I did have were double tapped and buried in the back yard next to my expectations for the upcoming BethSoft RPG's.
Also, Total War: Rome II, one of the most infamously bad, fucked, wtfbbqhappened launches I've ever been a part of.

Edit 2: Ada bought it up and I completely forgot, Destiny 2 - they got me again after being underwhelmed with D1 and I was so mad at myself for falling for it. At least I had no expectations for Anthem to shatter. While we're talking about D games, how about how much of a letdown launch Diablo 3 was? That was another fun launch to be apart of; fricking Error 37. *grumble, grumble*

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
  • Spider-Man. It's a good game but Miles away from being GOTY material
  • Sonic Forces. Modern Sonic games always offer something unique, that mix of speed + platforming + rhythm that you can't get on any other game. Forces plays like a clone of these games.
  • The Surge. Thankfully I got this one with PS+, but holy shit how did this game get released. It's bad, worse than LotF which was already mediocre imo.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is probably the most disappointed I've been in a game I can remember. With all the love it was getting, I was expecting my favorite zelda game at least if not one of my favorite games, and instead, i got an okay game and my least favorite 3d zelda.

Turns out a lot of the changes that people loved from the old formula were either things i didnt like or contributed to things i didnt like about the game.

Glad that people enjoy it, and I dont consider it bad, I just didnt end up very impressed with it unfortunately.

Another one was probably zero time dilemma. Coming off of VLR and 999, I expected greatness, and it was... kind of meh. Some of the characters didnt really feel like they acted the same way as they had in the past and ZTD didnt really tie up things narratively as well as i was hoping. What's unfortunate is that halfway through ZTD, I was gelling with it and really expecting it to answer my expectations. The ending did not...

Last edited:

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
GTA IV

The hype was surreal but all I got was an ok game with a shallow boring world and horrible controls. The story and characters was still cool tho.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
MGS5 - unfinished and severely lacking in the story I expect from Kojima games.
FF15 - mmo quests and not much else. Again thread bare story in a large barren world.
Destiny 2 - can't believe I got fooled twice. Awful game with its only redeeming factor being the gunplay.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Mario Tennis Aces. When they teased the single player mode I thought it might have been something inspired from the brilliant GBC game but nope, it was just totally barebone with the same few challenges in a shallow mode that could barely even be called a campaign.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I bought MGSV day 1 and I gradually realized it was not worth the ~3 year wait period.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
MGS4 is the game that taught me to never get sucked into the hype. Game was a letdown of epic proportions and since then I've always been at most, cautiously optimistic.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The Surge. Thankfully I got this one with PS+, but holy shit how did this game get released. It's bad, worse than LotF which was already mediocre imo.
I have always wanted a sci-fi souls game since ever and now that I finally got to try the Surge on PS+ I cant believe how average it is, at least I did not buy it thankfully. Combat does not feel great.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the wild
I was so ready for a new zelda after years of hype, + that Switch presentation trailer just kept me on the edge of my seat

But boy the final game was just so.... Underwelming :\ mostly due to the lack of story music and meaty dungeons and shrines being ..just too short simple and easy

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Of this gen?

Red Dead Redemption 2. Not only is the huge world mostly empty, it's also very uneventful all around. That plus the fact that you can't just fast travel anywhere you like in an instant or the bad gun gameplay, made the whole experience not worth the money I spent. Fun fact, I immediately sold the game on ebay within 5 hours of buying it without any loss whatsoever. Kinda happy about it to this day.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild. Have no real desire to replay it, and a large part of that is because of the lack of memorable dungeons and enemy variety.

I didn't really like Skyward Sword because I felt like it was too linear and focused too much on dungeons. On the flip side, I felt like Breath of the Wild was too open and didn't focus on dungeons enough. Hopefully the next game pulls a goldilocks and the 3 pairs and get's it just right.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Breath of the Wild. Everyone loved it and I'm a huge Zelda fan so I got myself a copy ASAP, but the dungeons/bosses just left me disappointed and I wasn't having fun in the open world.

Can totally see what others liked about it though, just wasn't a game for me.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Red dead redemption 2

I never buy games at launch so usually I know what I'm getting into. I know many people love rdr2 and that's cool but the way reviews ignored some huge flaws in the game or glosssdd over them was a surprise

Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda hurt me. It's not the worst game ever, and I did have some fun with it.

It just comes off as watered-down, also-ran version of Mass Effect, in pretty much every aspect of the game. Not at all what I expected from Bioware. And I was SO excited for it.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Monster Hunter World was a massive disappointment for me. I knew deep down I wouldn't like it but I bought into the hype anyway and bought it, and sure enough I just couldnt enjoy it.

BotW was also a disappointment but that was more because I bought into the hype so much that I purchased a Switch at launch solely to play it. I still got a solid 20 hours of fun before I lost interest, but it being(effectively) a $330 game made me pretty sad until Mario Odyssey came around.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The Last of Us.

Still a good game with solid writing and production values but I was just expecting more based on what I heard. If I'd gone into it blind I probably would have liked it more.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
RDR2
Controls and combat a bit to clunky for modern days and the new feed / warm RPG mechanics were rather annoying than adding depth for me.

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Final fantasy 13. I cant get hyped for any game anymore because of this trash piece of shit. I was hyped as hell for this game. Never could I have known it would be the most boring game I have ever played.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
  • Spider-Man (PS4) - The game is a huge collectaon, with decent fighting mechanics and story. The swinging and the graphics are standouts, but as an overall experience, it is extremely generic and feels years old.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - I really dislike the combat, and just feel it is tedious to do. The UI is an absolute disaster and stupidly ugly. I wasn't gripped by the story either.
  • Metro: Exodus - It feels like the story is nearly nonexistent when it should be the main focus of the game. It has this weird semi-open world areas that are boring to be in and the crafting is just annoying. By the end, I was excited for it to end so I didn't have to put any more time into it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Street Fighter V
Metal Gear Solid 2 -biggest gaming let down of my life.
Crackdown 3
Sekiro
Breath of the Wild - I went back to this and enjoyed it more than the first time but the weapon breaking an inventory system bullshit can't be overlooked. Those two things are so bad it really taints a game that has a lot of remarkable aspects.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Dark souls 2 was incredibly disappointing to me because I got into it late so did not hear many criticisms about it so I expected a worthy sequel to DS1 one of my favorite games ever made.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock Infinite. My hype was out of control. The initial reveal left my mind swimming in possibilities. I quite enjoyed the final game... But so much wasted potential...

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
LoS2. It pushed me to not preorder as many games. It just felt like such a mess and the ending was just dumb. The city also looked terrible.

Feb 12, 2019
I wouldn't call Torment: Tides of Numenera an outright bad game, but in terms of trying to recapture the magic of Planescape it misses the mark on just about every level. It feels like the developers and writers went down a checklist of things people liked about PS:T (Weird, alienating setting? Verbose dialogue? Philosophical quandaries?) but never quite understood why Planescape had any of those things. Instead, it's a lot of purple prose, Clarke's third law being thrown around with abandon, and a philosophical "big question" that might as well be "what is the point of existence?"

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
NFS Payback; devs had a great base to continue from NFS 2015, they instead dropped everything that was good on NFS15' and tried to make a game out of the recent Fast & Furious movies.

Tomb Raider 2013; people praised this game so much, but it was just a borefest. The game gets decent in its final third, but even then I can't forget those dumb puzzles and how Lara character was dumbed down.

Sniper Elite 3; SEv2 was a great game that knew exactly what it was. Its large, but closed levels worked well, and it felt viable to mix stealth with a 'guns blazing' approach. SE3 levels are really badly made, stealth felt bad, mission design was horrible. Fortunately sniping enemies still felt good.

DOOM (2016); another praised game that bored me to death. Level design was horrible, the game was repetitive (who the fuck thought that repeating the 'pick the colored keys formula' to advance was a good idea?) and who the hell had the idea of an upgrade tree on Doom? Shooting and killing demons felt satisfying, but once you see the same animation for the 300th time it loses some of the appeal, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, Outward, expected an rpg with survival mechanics but it feel like a survival game with rpg mechanics instead.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Oh right, I forgot to mention Dark Souls 2 as well. I got it at launch and was just left with this empty, hollow feeling (the bad kind) that this should have been so much better.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 is probably the biggest one in recent years. I thought almost everything about it was a step down from DS1 after being so hyped for it.

FF13 and 15 I was both wary of but gave in due to hype, hated both games in the end. They just don't have what I want from the series.

Monster Hunter World also disappointed me, I didn't like a lot of the changes or gear designs or new monsters coming off the previous entries. I bounced off it pretty quick.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TLOU is the big one for me. Naughty Dog games always put spectacle above actual gameplay, which is fine and a nice change from the games I normally play, but the stuff on display in TLOU just didn't grab me.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, while BOTW wasn't the best thing since sliced bread I wouldn't say I was overhyped for it.

Open world games bore me to tears usually, I'm happy with it and I'm still playing the game on and off but there's no 'I have to play it' feeling and there never was.

I was a whole state away from my Switch shortly after its launch too so I just didn't have any BOTW for a period. Going back to a game after a hiatus is sometimes good and bad.

A new Nintendo console is never hyped up by itself or the community like say the PS4 was around these parts; where people just accepted the early months were not going to be filled with bangers.

Instead, it was pleasing to see a game made into a flagship title for a new console the same way every other big launch title had been before every time a new system came out.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This gen?

Wolfenstein 2 TNC
The Last Guardian
Nier: Automata
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Nioh
Batman Arkham Knight

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V and Deus Ex: Invisible War were probably my biggest gaming disappointments of all time.

I will also admit that Sekiro was somewhat disappointing, however the degree of disappointment is obviously MUCH smaller for it. I really missed the variety of builds and playstyles, the obscure story and lore, and the sense of escalating scale and other-worldliness that FROM's other titles all had. Plus it just kicked me in the balls so much that by the end I was just kind of exhausted by its difficulty rather than proud of what I had conquered. Lastly, it also had a lot of unconsidered carry-overs from other games, like the checkpoint system, the limitless fast-travel, and the Spirit Emblems just being Bloodborne's (not-very-good) ammo system. It didn't feel like the game's overall design was as cohesive or carefully designed as Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but more like a weird middle ground that wasn't a complete reinvention nor another entry in a series.

Again, still a good game, but it's easily my least favorite of theirs, and that includes Dark Souls II.