• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't get how that is even possible with how tight nintendo handles first party stuff. They are just fine with shield getting exclusive enhanced wii ports, only for china?

Nintendo couldn't legally operate directly in the Chinese market at the time the ports started. Nvidia could.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Of all the deals they made, it was to have enhanced wii ports exclusive to china...right when they had the switch coming out?
At a time where Nvidia was pushing for market penetration in China and Nintendo was fresh off the Wii U? I don't see what's so ridiculous about that.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Okay....but why? Does china and/or nvidia have dirt on nintendo?
Nintendo? LOL. There's a reason why people used to compare Nintendo's old President, Hiroshi Yamauchi, to a yakuza crime boss.

Honestly, I don't think NCL thinks releasing these games on the Switch is a priority at all.

Nintendo could have the most robust retro service or catalog of all the platform holders. They just don't care about it right now. NES ROMs in 2019 as a selling point for NSO? Come the heck on lol.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
At a time where Nvidia was pushing for market penetration in China and Nintendo was fresh off the Wii U? I don't see what's so ridiculous about that.
Well its a little ridiculous because the switch is 2.5 years in now and is just getting bottom of the barrel nes shovelware for its retroware.

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are saying "It's not Nintendo porting those games, it's Nvidia". Yeah Nintendo has nothing to do with those games, it's not like they are their own IPs and games. If Nintendo cared they could port them to the Switch too, this "it's Nvidia porting them not Nintendo" is bullshit, especially since we know how protective of their games Nintendo is.
Marvel has the Spider-Man IP rights but couldn't use him in movies until the Sony-Marvel deal. It's the same here. Nvidia is porting and has the rights to port. Nintendo holds the IP rights. Nvidia has the right to port some WII games(as far as we understand, maybe they have to GC or others console) and it's their work, not Nintendo.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Well its a little ridiculous because the switch is 2.5 years in now and is just getting bottom of the barrel nes shovelware for its retroware.
I don't really see what that has to do with Nvidia porting Wii games to the Shield in order to garner a foothold in the Chinese gaming market. At this point, I can't imagine there's a large team at Lightspeed working on it.
I get wanting more of Nintendo's back catalog on Switch. I do. But this deal isn't preventing that.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt Nintendo cares if this would sell half a million in the US today when they can hold it back to boost hardware sales at an opportune time later.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These Nvidia SHIELD ports of Nintendo games is one of the most bizarre occurrences in gaming I can think off recently, especially so because these games aren't on the Switch for some completely odd reason.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia is making their hardware. Likely part of the deal
I think people a speculating too much on this. Like NVIDIA gave Nintendo some huge discount on Tegra orders based on Wii games coming out on the Shield and only in China.

I'm sure there is something, but I don't' think it's anything substantial, especially as Nintendo sells millions of units of the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
NSO is a SAAS that Nintendo wants for the future. They probably doesn't want to lose all the bullets they can add to spark interest to the public in continuing subscribed to their service. Maybe they will add SNES on Switch lifetime, maybe N64 on Switch 2 lifetime. What we know is that no matter the fanbase outcry/protest, they're not going to change their stance right now.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Since this is basically an android version of the game... I'm surprised that those Nintendo games haven't leaked? Or maybe they have? I never looked into that stuff.
The issue is the online DRM they're using in these games which apparently is really hard if not impossible to crack as they're constantly talking to a server to verify the game's authenticity. And you also need a Chinese payment method to buy them, even if you import a Chinese Nvidia Shield TV.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
NSO is a SAAS that Nintendo wants for the future. They probably doesn't want to lose all the bullets they can add to spark interest to the public in continuing subscribed to their service. Maybe they will add SNES on Switch lifetime, maybe N64 on Switch 2 lifetime. What we know is that no matter the fanbase outcry/protest, they're not going to change their stance right now.
I mean it's unbelievable that they finally have a system absolutely meant for a universal retro machine, and literally are doing the opposite with it.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The whole value prop with SaaS is giving me access to tons of content, which I pay for monthly, yet Nintendo wants to drip-feed NES ROMS. It's baffling.

And I like the NES. But it's not a competitive offering for today's marketplace.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
From what I remember, DF analyzed this and they say they're emulation, not actual native ports. I'd be much more interested in the latter

Nov 1, 2017
The shield stuff was a joint thing between Nvidia, Nintendo, and iQiyi. If Nintendo wanted to do a HD port of Donkey Kong Country Returns in NA/EU/JPY regions it would probably be a completely separate thing as far as the corporate side is concerned.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If I understand correctly those wii games are running on an emulator, so they are not ports. Which means there is a wii emulator out there that can run perfectly on the switch. Yet we are getting nes games.
Yay!!!

Nov 18, 2017
That a Mario Galaxy HD port (emulation, whatever) exists but not on Switch makes my blood boil for some reason.

Nintendo - what are you doing?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's unbelievable that they finally have a system absolutely meant for a universal retro machine, and literally are doing the opposite with it.
The whole value prop with SaaS is giving me access to tons of content, which I pay for monthly, yet Nintendo wants to drip-feed NES ROMS. It's baffling.

And I like the NES. But it's not a competitive offering for today's marketplace.
Absolutely! I would really like to NSO be basically all Virtual Service games+ new games, maybe even unreleased games here. But Nintendo wants NES and it's sticking with NES. It's frustrating that even 3DS was better in that regard

The shield stuff was a joint thing between Nvidia, Nintendo, and iQiyi. If Nintendo wanted to do a HD port of Donkey Kong Country Returns in NA/EU/JPY regions it would probably be a completely separate thing as far as the corporate side is concerned.
I also think that would be the case. And if Nintendo ported these games, they probably would do a HD remaster like TP and charge $60 for them

If I understand correctly those wii games are running on an emulator, so they are not ports. Which means there is a wii emulator out there that can run perfectly on the switch. Yet we are getting nes games.
Yay!!!
The Dolphin has been there for years. And has an Android build too. This either an internal emulator or a custom build Dolphin.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They should either do native ports or just give us these emulated (they are emulated, right?) ports. I even prefer DKCR to DKTF by a huge margin.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nintendo is the only game company that always manages to "upset" me with these terrible decisions one after another over the years. They are the Disney of videogames and yet so little of their back catalog is made available on Switch.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand it. These games would sell gangbusters on Switch and make them a lot of money. Nintendo has made a lot of mind-boggling decisions this gen.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo loves to sit on Money, I don't get how all those Shield ports aren't carried to Switch, it shouldn't be much of a job since the two things are basically identical in architecture.

Contracts, most likely. Nvidia may have rights over those versions.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Another Wii game that is ported to Shield with upgrades Nintendo did themselves. Only to still be not released on Switch even though its the same internals.

They could be releasing this alongside Mario Galaxy on the Switch as ports and it would probably sell well.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Yah, weird argument. Nintendo fully owns the rights to these games lol. They can do whatever they want. They may not be able to use to Nvidia ports as is.

But they can port these games themselves or hire a studio to do it.

Nintendo is extremely protective of their IP--look at how they go after fan projects and ROM sites. To say Nvidia is preventing them from porting these games to the Switch is silly.

They aren't, but those specific ports might be out of question since they could contain third-party code.