• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, Scorch N' Torch is obviously incredible by virtue of being part of Tropical Freeze's soundtrack. Naming specific tracks is just needlessly redundant ;)
Touche Andre! PS thank you for that amazing David Wise interview.

Everyone who appreciates the DKC soundtracks should check this out, it's really fascinating.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
David Wise hype thread? I approve! It doesn't get more jolly than when he busts out the melodica, haha!

'8-Bit Music Theory' has a nice analysis of David Wise's compositional style.

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
SNES Donkey Kong music always hits me right in the feels. Some of my favorite games of all time. The memories I get from these games are great. Wish I could go back in time and enjoy them as they were new again.

I would looooooooove for a DK4 in the same style of these games.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
The music form the series is so great I've seen these sentiments hundreds of time between ERA and the old forum and I still don't get tired of us coming together to admire the OSTs.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017

Aquatic Ambience, Hot Head Bop, Mining Melancholy, Swamp, Stickerbrush, Enchanted Wood, and In a Snowbound Land on Piano.

Mining Melancholy on vocals setting at 7:17 is so perfect.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever an official vinyl release to this?

Definitely my favorite.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The DKC OSTs were godly.
Also, the GBA version of DKC 3 had a new soundtrack by no other than David Wise.

I've always wondered what the reason for this was. That second track is a bop.

If they ever do a remake of the trilogy, I hope they incorporate both soundtracks into the game. It shouldn't be hard given that almost every track repeats at some point. Just swap out a repeat for a GBA version.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DKC2 and Tropical Freeze might be my favorite soundtracks in all of gaming overall. I listen to both every time I read a book or meditate.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I've always wondered what the reason for this was. That second track is a bop.

We actually asked David Wise that very question in the interview posted a bit above :) (as I recall, it was due to the GBA sound hardware not being able to do the original OST justice, but he offers a much more nuanced explanation in the video)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
We actually asked David Wise that very question in the interview posted a bit above :) (as I recall, it was due to the GBA sound hardware not being able to do the original OST justice, but he offers a much more nuanced explanation in the video)

Hah, well the funny part about that is that there are a number of tracks I wish were in the higher quality available on SNES.

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
I totally agree. This serie, FF series and Xenoblade series are my top 3 of the best music on video games

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Wise perform at Magfest last month made the event for me. Them doing DK Island Swing was a real standout.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Alright, Era. 68 messages and not a single one talking about the best theme of all time.

There's something so pure about this tune, it makes you feel safe and at home.

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
Any time I listen to DKC music or Sonic 3 music it tranports me right back to being a kid. I remember pausing and leaving Stickerbush Symphony on in the background for ages just to listen to it.
Same! I loved the series and the soundtracks and still enjoy listening to them from time to time.
It's amazing how David Wise was able to capture so many emotions with so limited options, compared to what's possible these days.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
The DKC OSTs were godly.
Also, the GBA version of DKC 3 had a new soundtrack by no other than David Wise.

OMG DKC 3 is my favorite DK, but I had no idea the GBA version had another soundtrack. David Wise is great, but hearing new music in stages so deeply carved into my memory is making my brain reject this. Like eating beef that taste like ice cream

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Doesn't matter if it's on the Switch or the next console - I need a Donkey Kong Country in the exact same vein as DKC 1-3 SNES - moody, sometimes dark, matching ost, funny in the Rare way and full of shadows an animal buddies. And King K Rool and friends.

At this point it's basically my dream game that will probably never come to be.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Doesn't matter if it's on the Switch or the next console - I need a Donkey Kong Country in the exact same vein as DKC 1-3 SNES - moody, sometimes dark, matching ost, funny in the Rare way and full of shadows an animal buddies. And King K Rool and friends.

At this point it's basically my dream game that will probably never come to be.

I won't lose hope for a new classic DKC game.. FF7 Remake was something unreal also and we will get it in 2 months.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
David Wise the GOAT! Hot Head Bop and Mining Melancholy are two of my favorites. I still remember playing the originals with my brothers and us becoming aware of how good video game music could be.

Dan Rykert's alt-account identified.

Edit: These are great though.

People have been praising these soundtracks for 20 years, I wish giantbomb people would stop trying to attach it to some dumb dan ryckert meme.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go as far as to say they have THE best soundtracks in all of gaming. They're god tier.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

I hope one day the Wise One blesses us with a remix of this that isn't held back by the GBA, this is a top tier DKC track.
Funny how the waterfall theme might be the best of both DKC3 soundtracks.

Where the hell is Returns, y'all?

Returns original tracks may lack compared to the remixed DKC1 themes, but I'll stand by this being some kind of glorious Metroid Prime and DKC crossover theme, that Kenji Yamamoto influence.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw David Wise performing live at Magfest this year. Dude is amazing.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Maybe not too surprisingly but the stuff I'm most fond of is the stuff that sounds like it could have been off an MMEB album circa 1973

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Are you talking only at GB? Because that definitely wasn't the case everywhere
Yeah, sorry I was talking specifically at Giant Bomb. I recall Dan trying to play tracks from TF during their GotY podcasts and everyone reacting very lukewarm and treating his love of the music like a joke.

There was definitely a weird sense of disconnect because there was loads of praise for it among players and critics alike. IIRC Brad expressed a preference for Kirkhope's sound which I can respect at least, but it felt a lot like the folks there considered liking DKC's music ridiculous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Realtalk: David Wise does a better Kenji Yamamoto than Kenji Yamamoto does David Wise.
Here's DKC3 GBA's Waterfall, a song with a more than passing resemblance to Green Brinstar from Super Metroid:

And here's what Yamamoto & co. (basically the Metroid Prime composition staff, because this game was by Retro) came up with for DKC Returns:

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One day we r gonna get thread whiners because of all the praise Donkey Kong music gets XD.

The music in this series is some of the most ridiculously created stuff in games. The fact the original trilogy soundtrack was even made is mind boggling because of the way it was approached

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017

Some of my favorite music. David Wise is a genius. Amiss Abyss has a melancholic feel for me that just really sounds beautiful. I...don't know how he does it or how to describe the feeling. Incredible.

YEEEEEEESSSS!!!!! I feel like Amiss Abyss tends to not get mentioned often in these soundtrack threads. It's the pinnacle of David Wise music. Personally I see it on the same level as Stickerbush Symphony, and above Aquatic Ambience. The way it gives the feeling of happiness and sadness at the same time is incredible. The over-water version, Deep Keep, does this even more. Tropical Freeze has such an amazing soundtrack, but these two definitely are the top for me.