• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which soundtrack do you prefer?

• SNES

Votes: 230 88.5%
  • GBA

Votes: 30 11.5%

• Total voters

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore this game. Honestly I don't think I can pick a favorite between the first three (I'm including DKC1, I know a lot of people knock it, but I still have a lot of fun playing it and there's a certain charm to its simplicity). I love the way DKC3 uses the world map and makes it a part of the gameplay loop.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
DKC3 has arguably the best overworld map of a SNES platformer. It's basically the continuation/evolution of a Super Mario World-style map with more exploration and secrets to discover.

It's a shame that basically amounts to a collectathon (the "secrets" are basically just Simon Says Caves) instead of offering more meaningful rewards, like... dunno, actual secret levels, but I guess Krematoa sort of makes up for that.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely better than the original. Not quite as good as DKC2. It's a fantastic platformer with solid level design, and deserves more love than it gets.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
DKC3 has arguably the best overworld map of a SNES platformer. It's basically the continuation/evolution of a Super Mario World-style map with more exploration and secrets to discover.

It's a shame that basically amounts to a collectathon (the "secrets" are basically just Simon Says Caves) instead of offering more meaningful rewards, like... dunno, actual secret levels, but I guess Krematoa sort of makes up for that.

Yeah, I keep feeling like a Mario game with a DKC3-style map would be revelatory. Secret exits and levels all around and a rich map to dive into.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I keep feeling like a Mario game with a DKC3-style map would be revelatory. Secret exits and levels all around and a rich map to dive into.

it's a shame that recent Mario games (haven't played Odyssey yet, I don't have a Switch) basically iterate on the SMB3 style instead of... well, going all out on exploration. Reminds me when SMG2 ditched the hub-based Observatory for a more linear level selection - I'm sure many people appreciated the more streamlined, no-frills experience but I like exploration and I don't think it's the antithesis to tight platforming. I liked the hubs (even though the Observatory was no Peach Castle in terms of layout and rewards) and I like to get lost in them and see if there's a reward for that. DKC3 sort of scratched that itch back in the day, SM64 and Banjo-Kazooie did it even better!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
it's a shame that recent Mario games (haven't played Odyssey yet, I don't have a Switch) basically iterate on the SMB3 style instead of... well, going all out on exploration. Reminds me when SMG2 ditched the hub-based Observatory for a more linear level selection - I'm sure many people appreciated the more streamlined, no-frills experience but I like exploration and I don't think it's the antithesis to tight platforming. I liked the hubs (even though the Observatory was no Peach Castle in terms of layout and rewards) and I like to get lost in them and see if there's a reward for that. DKC3 sort of scratched that itch back in the day, SM64 and Banjo-Kazooie did it even better!

I think you should play Odyssey then?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I remember having to decide between DKC2 and DKC3 at a KB Toys growing up. I'd already rented and played DKC2 a ton, so I opted for the game that I hadn't already played, figuring that progress was a one-way street.

I'm not sure DKC3 is actually the better game of the two, but I sure did love it. I played it all the way to 103% completion, even including those bastard Simon Says sequences. I remember really struggling with the last few; looking it up on Youtube, the final cave requires a 9-button sequence, which is just on the border of typical human short term memory capabilities. Not sure I could still do that! I also loved the creative multi-phase boss fights - see for instance the secret extra boss:

The person playing makes it look simple, but I remember it taking many tries to get the timing right (and to learn how to dodge some of the later tricks, like the lightning zaps and the moving floor).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Almost missed a DKC3 appreciation, the horror

Great game that has a mighty combo of being in the shadow of DKC2 and being a very late life release for the SNES, wrapped up in being the one where DK and Rambi and traded out for Kiddy and Ellie.
(and anyone who knows my thoughts on this game knows I go to bat for that elephant on the regular)

Like most third entries in platforming trilogies (and really this is arguably the precursor to all those Sony series going this route) it relies a lot on gimmicks to try and give extra spice to an already well worn platforming formula perfected by its predecessor. Still as far as gimmicky third games go, this one still keeps the core gameplay in mind which means it's still a damn good time, a number of stage gimmicks are neat as well.

Looking at the game for its time, it's quite a creative take on what was a well worn genre of hop and bop platformers with the emphasis on giving the overworld more purpose (funny how the DKC4 in spirit of Yooka-Laylee 2 carried this on to great effect) and toying with some varied level gimmicks.

Love the visuals in this game, dig the earthy vibe of Kong Kanada and the nature vs mechanical theme that's touched upon somewhat but admittedly not too strongly.
It may be a B team game, but it's a strong B team.

Fisher's/Novakovic's soundtrack is one that leans into that earthy vibe I mentioned, like her work on DKC1 it prioritises atmosphere and isn't immediately as striking, but sticking with it leads to another great DKC OST.
Cascade Capers is a jam, and what little Wise contributes involves that bop of a file select. Game also has my favourite version of bonus room blitz once you pass the 10 seconds of chimp noises and drum banging.
DKC3 GBA is arguably a higher highs, lower lows OST outing, once again cascade capers comes up tops but over time I've really grown to like the very contrasting to the original themes combo of the treetops and cliff stages.

So anyway, let me tell you the good word about bobbing barrel brawl...

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like it as much as 1 or 2, but it is still a good game. For me, 1 and 2 are both a 10/10, while this one is more of an 8.5/10.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I've never played this game, but I am aware the sound of FF games on GBA are not as good as the SNES originals.

As is usually the case from that era, the music from the original games is always best. Something is always lost after porting due to the differing sound chips.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have always said this is my favourite DKC game. I love every game in the series, but this one has always felt like the developers had a lot of fun doing it.

While I don't love the Kiddy Kong character, his gameplay and the contrast between him and Dixie Kong works for me.

There are so many zany ideas implemented that I think work really well. The gimmicks in place make it feel fresh and aren't cumbersome.

I think being released so close to the N64 gave the developers freedom to do whatever they wanted and I think that made the most interesting game in the series.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Amazing game. My brother and I beat the crap out of it and had a great time. It reminded me of Super Mario World with its overworld exploration and secrets to discover (circling around the rocks to unlock a new place was really cool!).

I've beaten the trilogy but I'd like to say in order of preference: DKC1 > DKC3 > DKC2. 2 is still a good game but I guess I didn't fall in love with it like a lot of other people have.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just dropped by my WiiU VC version (because lol switch)
Using the water skip for slick saves in lightning lookout is a good feeling.

Random gifs time!

tumblr_p3c66kBhJG1v6pzwto1_400.gifv

7Fnvt.gif

wgf37Q4.gif

You know I can't hate Kiddy Kong because some of his animations are so full of character, even the way he hangs from ropes looks kinda hilarious.
I rock my Dixie and Kiddy avatar in smash online with PRIDE
....shame I can't actually play as Dixie.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's so much I love about this game. While yes there are some level gimmicks that end up dragging the game down (I'm looking at you Murky Mill), it's overall a fantastic game. I don't see how someone can look at a game with stages like Lightning Lookout, Swoopy Salvo, Krack-Shot Kroc, the entirety of the Mekano world, etc, etc, and call it bad.

It also baffles me that it took until 2019's Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for a game to feel like it meaningfully iterated on DKC3's overworld.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Mekanos I saw your username floating around a few times and I wondered whether you were a DKC3 fan... guess this answers my question!

I played a lot of all three games as a kid, but the only one I ever owned was DKC3. It was a bit wild actually, I had owned a N64 for a long time already, and really liked DK64, but everyone in my town was still on the Super Nintendo era, and I bought a SNES with DKC3 just to be able to play through it myself. One of my favorite games ever although I completely understand why people would prefer Diddy to Kiddy as Dixie's partner.

I love the art style, and as people have said, the overworld was really nice to explore, it's cool how you get new tools to progressively expand the area you are able to explore, culminating in the helicopter and the end.

I totally agree with everything you said here. SM64 is still my favorite Mario game (and one of my all-time favorites) partly because Galaxy and Odyssey lacked anything comparable to Peach's castle. The feeling of opening up new and secret parts of the castle was amazing. I am afraid Odyssey will disappoint you in that regard - the levels are chosen through a level select screen, very similar to Galaxy 2.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just dropped by my WiiU VC version (because lol switch)
Using the water skip for slick saves in lightning lookout is a good feeling.

Random gifs time!

tumblr_p3c66kBhJG1v6pzwto1_400.gifv

7Fnvt.gif

wgf37Q4.gif

You know I can't hate Kiddy Kong because some of his animations are so full of character, even the way he hangs from ropes looks kinda hilarious.
I rock my Dixie and Kiddy avatar in smash online with PRIDE
....shame I can't actually play as Dixie.

God I love how DKC3 looks. They really nailed the natural aesthetic with this one.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I totally agree with everything you said here. SM64 is still my favorite Mario game (and one of my all-time favorites) partly because Galaxy and Odyssey lacked anything comparable to Peach's castle. The feeling of opening up new and secret parts of the castle was amazing.

Hell yeah! It's a shame there's that divide in the Mario fanbase between those who favor exploration (a la 3D collectathons) vs those who want exclusively a platformer with minimal amount of filler.

I'm right in the middle and I think there's place for both - though I know 3D collectathons can very easily become bloated/slogs/unexciting (e.g. DK64), it's a delicate balance between having a world that feels large as to favor exploration, but not as large as to have ridiculous amount of filler instead of meaningful content.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
great game...

I'm bummed that I was scarred away back in the day by this monstrosity
Kiddy_Kong_running_DKC3_artwork.jpg

cause really the structure of the game is really cool and very different from the first two

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
First time I've ever played DKC 3 was on the GBA remake and I loved the new soundtrack they got over the SNES one. I think David Wise returned for it and it really gives it the Country feel it needed.

That's the opening level. For me my dream is that they port over the SNES to switch with the GBA soundtrack. Also the new world Pacifica was fun.

The ideal would probably pick and choose. That track is great, but the GBA version has some real stinkers too.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Beautiful visuals, a fantastic overworld, some challenging special courses, and that awesome saw level in the woods.

Incredible game that gets way too much hate. One of the best platformers ever.

It's on the same level as 2 and TF and also MUCH better than DKC1 (a mediocre game).

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The ideal would probably pick and choose. That track is great, but the GBA version has some real stinkers too.

Worth noting also I think that a few of the Pacifica levels feel like they were designed specifically with the new sountrack in mind:

It's really tough to imagine this level with the jovial SNES version of Stilt Village.

The moodier SNES Treetop Tumble might be out of place here, although perhaps with darker colors it could work.

Man, Pacifica was pretty great. I love when classic games get new content like this, feels like you discover some lost levels of a bygone era. This was the last time Rare got to make new DKC content, so it's pretty bittersweet. (They had a choice on whether they would do a DKC4 for the DS or a Diddy Kong Racing port... sadly, I think they chose wrong on that one.)

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Worth noting also I think that a few of the Pacifica levels feel like they were designed specifically with the new sountrack in mind:

It's really tough to imagine this level with the jovial SNES version of Stilt Village.

that one really feels like a precursor to DKCR's Tidal Terror, though I know Rare had nothing to do with DKCR. Maybe someone at Retro played the GBA version of 3 and probably got inspired by it, even at a subconscious level? Who knows :P

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Stormy Seas is one of my favourite stages in DKC3 and it's locked to GBA land, a simple but effective "choose your path" stage.
Sunken Spruce can be a bit messy but I'm a big fan of flooding the redwood stage theme.

I'd forgotten some of these, Ripcurl Reef was like "what if Squawks animal Antics but underwater?", the absolute villains, I love it.
Still kinda puzzled that they named the last pipe stage there "Surfs up", I guess you can ride a steel keg through the last half but....nah

When the heck do we get a Crash and Spyro esque labour of love remastered trilogy complete with cut content? WHEN?!

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
When the heck do we get a Crash and Spyro esque labour of love remastered trilogy complete with cut content? WHEN?!

I'm mixed on this because I think the original SNES trilogy is still perfectly playable and its visuals are a great time capsule of mid-90s computer generated graphics, but if done well a remade trilogy could be absolutely gorgeous. It'd be fun to see K. Rool's modern design implemented as well with all the costumes.

that one really feels like a precursor to DKCR's Tidal Terror, though I know Rare had nothing to do with DKCR. Maybe someone at Retro played the GBA version of 3 and probably got inspired by it, even at a subconscious level? Who knows :P

I believe an employee at Retro stated in preparation for DKCR their staff played both the Country and Land titles so it's not that unthinkable. I just wish other developers would be more explicit in referencing the game!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You know, when the Krakatoa erupted a few weeks back, all I could think of was the Krematoa music playing.

Yeah, I'm a bad person

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed reading through all the posts ITT a ton. I first played the trilogy a few years back, at the time of the Wii U VC release. I only had the Land games as a kid, N64 was my first console. I was already a DKC fan from the modern games and it was great to play the originals (and the excellent spiritual successor in Impossible Lair more recently). We did use save states here and there. I see discussion of 100+%ing the original games, I know there were collectibles in 2 and 3 that I want to go back and replay the levels to get, but, is there an incentive to replay levels in 1? What are the criteria for 100% in the first game? Looking forward to replaying them, I listen to the music all the time and it's such a pleasure.

I suppose the closest we got aesthetically in recent years was Mario 3DW, but it didn't have any of the secret-discovering aspect. And then on the flipside, some of the NSMB games have excellent secret exits but lack the aesthetic intrigue of world maps like in the DKC games. Impossible Lair is really the tops in this regard. Though I think the signpost secrets are a bit on the too-obscure side - at least they're not required to beat the game, though!

Almost missed a DKC3 appreciation, the horror

Great game that has a mighty combo of being in the shadow of DKC2 and being a very late life release for the SNES, wrapped up in being the one where DK and Rambi and traded out for Kiddy and Ellie.
(and anyone who knows my thoughts on this game knows I go to bat for that elephant on the regular)

Like most third entries in platforming trilogies (and really this is arguably the precursor to all those Sony series going this route) it relies a lot on gimmicks to try and give extra spice to an already well worn platforming formula perfected by its predecessor. Still as far as gimmicky third games go, this one still keeps the core gameplay in mind which means it's still a damn good time, a number of stage gimmicks are neat as well.

Looking at the game for its time, it's quite a creative take on what was a well worn genre of hop and bop platformers with the emphasis on giving the overworld more purpose (funny how the DKC4 in spirit of Yooka-Laylee 2 carried this on to great effect) and toying with some varied level gimmicks.

Love the visuals in this game, dig the earthy vibe of Kong Kanada and the nature vs mechanical theme that's touched upon somewhat but admittedly not too strongly.
It may be a B team game, but it's a strong B team.

Fisher's/Novakovic's soundtrack is one that leans into that earthy vibe I mentioned, like her work on DKC1 it prioritises atmosphere and isn't immediately as striking, but sticking with it leads to another great DKC OST.
Cascade Capers is a jam, and what little Wise contributes involves that bop of a file select. Game also has my favourite version of bonus room blitz once you pass the 10 seconds of chimp noises and drum banging.
DKC3 GBA is arguably a higher highs, lower lows OST outing, once again cascade capers comes up tops but over time I've really grown to like the very contrasting to the original themes combo of the treetops and cliff stages.

So anyway, let me tell you the good word about bobbing barrel brawl...

Shout out to my friend the owl for an awesome retrospective post as usual. Reading your post out me right back into the wonderous world of the game.

A very underrated element, for sure. It would have been great for either of the DKCR entries so far to pick up on it.

It was done so well in Impossible Lair, I'm hoping an eventual next DKC game can offer its own spin on the concept - and more Animal Friends!

The moodier SNES Treetop Tumble might be out of place here, although perhaps with darker colors it could work.

Man, Pacifica was pretty great. I love when classic games get new content like this, feels like you discover some lost levels of a bygone era. This was the last time Rare got to make new DKC content, so it's pretty bittersweet. (They had a choice on whether they would do a DKC4 for the DS or a Diddy Kong Racing port... sadly, I think they chose wrong on that one.)
[/QUOTE

Wow, I didn't know any of this. Thanks for sharing. Alternate timeline DS DKC is fun to think of. I kinda think it would've been underappreciated though, no matter how it turned out...suppose we can say the same for TF, though, sadly.

I'm mixed on this because I think the original SNES trilogy is still perfectly playable and its visuals are a great time capsule of mid-90s computer generated graphics, but if done well a remade trilogy could be absolutely gorgeous. It'd be fun to see K. Rool's modern design implemented as well with all the costumes.

I believe an employee at Retro stated in preparation for DKCR their staff played both the Country and Land titles so it's not that unthinkable. I just wish other developers would be more explicit in referencing the game!

Which other devs have been influenced by the games but only implicitly? Sincerely asking, I love the DKC games and want to try out any quality game like them.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Now that the game is on NSO, I'd like to give this thread a nice bump. Anybody playing it for the first time?

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The world map is super mysterious. It felt boundless to me as a kid, and unlocking the gyrocopter was a mindblowing experience.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The world map is super mysterious. It felt boundless to me as a kid, and unlocking the gyrocopter was a mindblowing experience.
Yes, the Northern Kremisphere is so good. My dream DKC4 would've taken the concept one step further with towns where you could talk to NPC. Basically sidescrolling spaces with no enemies, but where you can find secrets and NPCs. The purpose would be immersive world-building.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It's my second favorite DKC game after 2. It's an incredible title that does just about everything right aside Kiddie Kong lol.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

DKC 3 has a very unique vibe to it. I love how it starts out with all the country backwoods environments and slowly shifts to more mechanical/industrial. Such an awesome game with great atmosphere and one of the best & underappreciated overworlds.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly how it felt to me too. I remember how utterly fascinating the game was at launch for me and my brother, such a different setting and overall vibe, so many cool secrets and a world that felt just that tad more cohesive in comparison to the previous games. To us Krematoa really seemed like a awesome evolution to Lost World as a secret world type of deal. Awesome game.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Now that the game is on NSO, I'd like to give this thread a nice bump. Anybody playing it for the first time?
Me! Kinda? My twin brother had it as a kid. I played maybe two levels but I played DKC 1 and especially 2 a lot. Other than the opening level (world?), this will be a brand new game for me. I probably played five minutes of it. I replayed DKC 1 and 2 in SNES Online on Switch, so I have to play this one.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Dat feeling when you accidentally find the warp barrel in the first forest level and arrive at the goal with no DK Coin or Bonus Coins, hoisting a sad droopy this-level-is-not-truly-complete flag

ForlornFate

Jun 12, 2019
DKC 3 is such a wonderful game. It bums me out that people usually dismiss it too quickly in favor of 2. I think it has so much charm and personality. More people should give it a shot!

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the exploration aspect of the map.

Also... Fischer deserves some recognition; she sounds like a disciple of David Wise or someone who really wanted to write songs in a similar way that kept the dark tone and the atmosphere. All the opposite to the clown that composed for DKC Returns... I hated his happy songs and generic style with all my heart.
Not so hot take: Fischer was better than Wise in DKC1

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
The world map in 3 stoked my imagination so much as a kid. Trying to get the gyrocopter and just exploring - the circling and hitting the rock to get the secret area, everything was so great. I loved this game so much and still do.

Oct 25, 2017

Somehow this might be my first time hearing about Pacifica. I assume it's GBA only? So it's tied up in ancient hardware with serious framerate issues? :(

Also, Rare skipping an opportunity to do a DKC4 for DS in favour of a port makes me think they were either directed by Nintendo or they just didn't feel they had the right personnel to pull off an original game at that point. Why would you choose to do a port unless they were directed in some way?

And you're a DKC feen?? So much so that you're one of those who can't abide DKCR and TF or..?

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
2 > 3 > 1 IMO.

First game was revolutionary at the time, but after 2 sequels it looks so bland and its missing so much fun content like collectibles and Lost World.