• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which soundtrack do you prefer?

• SNES

Votes: 230 88.5%
  • GBA

Votes: 30 11.5%

• Total voters

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
DKC3 is a weird game, being both better and worse than DKC2. The evolution of the world map combined with some RPG-lite mechanics was extremely clever, and the game probably had the best and most rewarding secrets of the series.

But it's also a step back in some key ways: Level design, music, and art style. The levels, by and large, just aren't as fun to traverse as the previous two, with the level gimmicks often growing tiresome well before the level's over (see: avoiding Rats in the mills or most of the tree stages). The music, while good, falls short of the benchmark set by DKC2, and that goes hand in hand with the more cartoonish visuals (which in hindsight, does act as a sort of bridge to the more stylized DKCR series).

I've replayed the game quite a few times, so it's by no means bad. It just felt oddly uneven and didn't really push boundaries outside of the really cool map.

Oh yeah, and Kiddy sucks.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say the DKC2 comparisons are unfair because, you know, direct sequel, but I think "not being as good as the literal best 2D platformer of all time, when made by a separate and less experienced team" isn't a black mark on its quality.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
DKC3 is legendary I loved that game atmosphere it's so damn weird but has this very unique charm the level design is really cool and diverse but what takes the cake is the overworld holy shit it was awesome, finding hidden caves and stuff.
The only thing don't like about this game is fucking Kiddie Kong, Dixie was my go too 100%

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Kaptain is obviously the best but I've always had a soft spot for Baron K. Roolenstein:

Baron_K_Roolenstein_Spirit.png

The Frankenstein neck bolts are a nice touch. It's a shame it didn't get a Spirit Battle in Smash like Kaptain did.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Outside of a few tracks (what was Wise thinking with the new treetops music?) I generally prefer the GBA soundtrack and wish there was a way to play the GBA version without the washed out colors

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i might be the only person in the world who had 1 and 3 but never played 2.
i loved 3 so much when it came out.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Why does DKC3 GBA have a different soundtrack anyway? Seems kind of disrespectful in a way.

We actually asked this in our interview with David Wise for DKC's 25th! I don't have the exact timestamp (probably in the 2nd half?), but as I recall, it was simply because DKC's bass-heavy soundtrack didn't translate well to the GBA hardware

Edit: Found it! 26:52

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We actually asked this in our interview with David Wise for DKC's 25th! I don't have the exact timestamp (probably in the 2nd half?), but as I recall, it was simply because DKC's bass-heavy soundtrack didn't translate well to the GBA hardware

I guess that's fair, I'm just surprised they couldn't be adapted in a more faithful way. Now you have this awkward definitive version debate.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Outside of a few tracks (what was Wise thinking with the new treetops music?) I generally prefer the GBA soundtrack and wish there was a way to play the GBA version without the washed out colors

Like I said, I wish there was a definitive DKC3 version with the Pacifica levels, proper SNES visuals/sound effects, and the option to choose either of the GBA or SNES music on a level-by-level basis. Way too much effort for the least beloved of a SNES trilogy though.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The original will always be the best one of the classic Trilogy for me, but this one's as good as the second - in other words, amazing!

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I guess that's fair, I'm just surprised they couldn't be adapted in a more faithful way. Now you have this awkward definitive version debate.

Just in case you missed my edit, the question is asked at 26:52. He says he tried to accommodate the original soundtrack for a couple of weeks, but wasn't able to make it work.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I never could finish the 3rd. I don't like the new characters and the way they handle and I find the level design meh. But I loved everything in 1 and 2.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure if i played it today i could cold appreciate it per the first two but when i got it for xmas in '96 everything about it felt so... i dunno... cheap

i guess not having a cohesive theme and lack of diddy *and* DK really took me out of it. kind of baffling they went in that direction

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
i'm sure if i played it today i could cold appreciate it per the first two but when i got it for xmas in '96 everything about it felt so... i dunno... cheap

i guess not having a cohesive theme and lack of diddy *and* DK really took me out of it. kind of baffling they went in that direction

They wanted Dixie to be the star and not be overshadowed by other characters.

As for a theme, I'd say there's a consistent nature vs. technology theme, given the mills and factories, and the fact that DK and Diddy are kidnapped to power a giant robot (with the K. Rool costume being that of a scientist).

It's not as in-your-face as the pirate theme of DKC2 but it's definitely present.

Oh and also banana bird gods.

maxresdefault.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did I dream or did someone make a romhack that patches in some of Wise's better compositions from the GBA release?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
As for a theme, I'd say there's a consistent nature vs. technology theme, given the mills and factories, and the fact that DK and Diddy are kidnapped to power a giant robot (with the K. Rool costume being that of a scientist).

yeah that was kinda sorta my takeaway but (and accounting for that i was 13 years old) it all came across as generic platforming land

didn't have a problem with dixie maining even in the 90s boy's toys mindset but her with a baby was kinda iff

but when the inevitable dkc compilation comes out i wouldn't be surprised if i rant about how i really missed the mark on it, i dunno. currently whats going on with me playing castlevania bloodlines right now i'm just like wtf how did i shrug this off back in the day

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The music in the GBA port is worse, but the new levels still make it the better choice.
I played and beat the SNES original. I didn't love the soundtrack but there are a couple of gems in there and I thought it worked overall. I feel like the game gets ignored too often or is too harshly criticized.

This is the first time I've ever seen someone call the new GBA soundtrack worse.

I've long had the GBA port on my bucket list solely for the universal praise for the new soundtrack. The rest of the thread seems to echo this but seeing as how you're a Rare fan, I'd love to hear your take?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I played and beat the SNES original. I didn't love the soundtrack but there are a couple of gems in there and I thought it worked overall. I feel like the game gets ignored too often or is too harshly criticized.

This is the first time I've ever seen someone call the new GBA soundtrack worse.

I've long had the GBA port on my bucket list solely for the universal praise for the new soundtrack. The rest of the thread seems to echo this but seeing as how you're a Rare fan, I'd love to hear your take?

IMHO, save for a couple of *really great* tracks, it's not one of The Wise One's greatest works.

Highlights being Stilt Village, Mill Fever, Cascade Capers and Water World (even though I love both versions, GBA and SNES, of those two last themes). Maybe even Enchanted Riverbank if I'm feeling generous.

Debatable whether they're better than the originals or not (it's up to you): Pokey Pipes, Rockface Rumble, Nuts and Bolts, Cavern Caprice, Jungle Jitter

NOPE: Frosty Frolics, Treetop Tumble (though this one's not a bad song, it just doesn't fit the levels IMHO), Northern Kremisphere

Though, I gotta be honest: it's absolutely criminal that the only version of the GBA soundtrack we have is that tinny-ass, compressed-to-hell-and-back handheld version. Should've been remastered long time ago to let the compositions shine. Closest thing we have is this couple of videos:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
There is no bad DKC game. 3 has a fantastic atmosphere and some of the track are very underrated . I really enjoyed my time with it and intend to replay it soon.

First Time I completed the game I did not know you could roll on water so the water sections were difficult for me

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
3 has always been my personal favorite of the classic DKCs, even going back to the nineties when I first played them. Like, the character designs are fucking weird and some of the gimmicks are long in tooth but I just love the overall ambience, the stark differences between Dixie and Kiddy's gameplay, and the adventurous feeling that the overworld gives to the formula. I generally feel it's one of the more underrated major Nintendo releases.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
IMHO, save for a couple of *really great* tracks, it's not one of The Wise One's greatest works.

Highlights being Stilt Village, Mill Fever, Cascade Capers and Water World (even though I love both versions, GBA and SNES, of those two last themes). Maybe even Enchanted Riverbank if I'm feeling generous.

Debatable whether they're better than the originals or not (it's up to you): Pokey Pipes, Rockface Rumble, Nuts and Bolts, Cavern Caprice, Jungle Jitter

NOPE: Frosty Frolics, Treetop Tumble (though this one's not a bad song, it just doesn't fit the levels IMHO), Northern Kremisphere

Though, I gotta be honest: it's absolutely criminal that the only version of the GBA soundtrack we have is that tinny-ass, compressed-to-hell-and-back handheld version. Should've been remastered long time ago to let the compositions shine. Closest thing we have is this couple of videos:

Good post that mirrors my thoughts on the soundtrack pretty much. Enchanted Riverbank is nice but you're rarely going to hear it given that it only plays underwater...and in 2 out of the 3 river levels, you do not want to be underwater.

Though for me GBA Rockface Rumble is way below the SNES one... SNES Rockface Rumble is I think one of the original trilogy's best compositions, it perfectly invokes the sense of awe and wonder you get from climbing those mountains.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I have a love hate relationship with the GBA soundtrack. There's a lot of good in there, but on the other hand there are some serious stinkers. And in a lot of cases it felt like Wise was deliberately playing against the original soundtrack, sometimes to its outright musical detriment (hello, GBA soundfont yodeling).

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have a love hate relationship with the GBA soundtrack. There's a lot of good in there, but on the other hand there are some serious stinkers. And in a lot of cases it felt like Wise was deliberately playing against the original soundtrack, sometimes to its outright musical detriment (hello, GBA soundfont yodeling).

The map music I feel is the greatest betrayal of the original. The SNES DKC3 had three different map themes that all embodied their different areas perfectly (overworld, individual worlds, and Krematoa). It's completely flattened with the generic happy sounding music in the GBA version, which especially takes away the sense of menace and intrigue in Krematoa.

It's weird when you compare tracks like Cascade Capers and Pokey Pipes which, in both SNES and GBA, pretty much invoke the same sort of feeling.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Though for me GBA Rockface Rumble is way below the SNES one... SNES Rockface Rumble is I think one of the original trilogy's best compositions, it perfectly invokes the sense of awe and wonder you get from climbing those mountains.

the OG Rockface Rumble is amazing - it complements the background perfectly imho and I love how it literally reprises the Mining Melancholy theme from DKC2 to great effect.

I initially hated the GBA Rockface Rumble but I warmed up considerably to it. It's an earworm and I randomly think about the opening harmonica during most weeks hahaha

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
DKC3 mechanically is way better than DKC1. It's also not as obtuse with some of its secrets (DKC1 is the only game in the trilogy I needed a guide to 100%). With that said, I have a huge bias with DKC1 as it's the first video game I ever beat, so I still prefer it over 3.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019

I think the best tracks from the original are better than those from the GBA version, both soundtracks are significantly weaker than DKC1 & 2 though. On top of that, the audio quality is not exactly stellar, thanks to the platform. Even if you might end up prefering the GBA soundtrack overall, the new levels are the much stronger argument to play the GBA version.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
DKC3 is my favorite game after Tropical Freeze and DKC2. I love the feeling of adventure and adore the characters Kiddy and Dixie. I love the map system. I prefer the GBA version because of David Wise and Pacifica. Such a beautiful game. I would like Rare to release Rare Replay for Switch with all their DKC games and an artbook as well.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I really enjoyed the game and have played it a again a few times over the years (SNES emulation and GBA port). I feel like I need another run though.

Forget the haters, Kiddy Kong is awesome!

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
DKC2 still stands as my favorite of the trilogy, but DKC3 doesn't stay way too behind. It's a beautifully crafted game with an incredible sense of adventure.. and despite of the lack of the David Wise in its compositions, I love the soundtrack as well.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
SNES version is superior just for the sound and colors/visuals.

DKC3 is my least favorite of the trilogy but I still love it.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
DKC3 is such a great game, people only look down on it because there is basically no way it could ever reach the highs of 2.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I think the best tracks from the original are better than those from the GBA version, both soundtracks are significantly weaker than DKC1 & 2 though. On top of that, the audio quality is not exactly stellar, thanks to the platform. Even if you might end up prefering the GBA soundtrack overall, the new levels are the much stronger argument to play the GBA version.
Ah. That makes a lot sense. Unfortunate.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
I once went to Disneyland in Paris to preview Epic Mickey (and interview Warren Spector). The night before we were chilling in the hotel lounge, and I found myself drinking with one of the designers of this game. I was star struck, because the DKC trilogy is what got me into gaming in the first place.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I once went to Disneyland in Paris to preview Epic Mickey (and interview Warren Spector). The night before we were chilling in the hotel lounge, and I found myself drinking with one of the designers of this game. I was star struck, because the DKC trilogy is what got me into gaming in the first place.

Wow, that's pretty damn cool! Did they share any interesting stories or insight?