• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this yesterday, and it warms my heart knowing gamexplain are going in on the DKC anniversary love while Nintendo will sit on their hands and not acknowledge such things.

Don't think the interview unearthed anything I didn't already know, but I enjoyed Greg's take on k.rool, the bumbling dope villain you kinda root for.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This was such a fun interview to conduct; Gregg Mayles was a please to speak with. We had an absolute blast and I'm thrilled you guys enjoyed it. Lots more coming soon :)

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
No matter what Nintendo wants to think about it, these games were massive for Rare in the context of their history. If the DKC series wasn't a hit, the golden years of Rare on the N64 might never have happened.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was such a great interview. I never knew that they waned to use Warior as the villain or how strongly they wanted to tie the series to Mario (although it is understandable).

Looking forward to GX's other upcoming DKC videos.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
DKC lore is more interesting than souls lore and vaatividya is a coward for not focusing on it instead.

I would love a new DKC game that has K.Rool and the kremlings in it. If retro is busy (i think they're working on some minor space game)I think playtonic would do a very good job.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Listened to this in the shower this morning.

GameXplain should do retro review follow ups of the original 3 and then do a discussion on the series as a whole and how the two Retro stand up to the originals.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
25 years? Jesus Christ I'm old...

I'm gonna sit down and watch this later. Should be interesting. I still vividly remember when Donkey Kong Country hit the scene and how big of a deal it was.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
25 years? Jesus Christ I'm old...

200px-Cranky_Kong_DKC.png

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Hopefully it's cool if I self-promote here haha. We posted our 2nd set of interviews this morning, featuring Steve Mayles and Chris Sutherland, the character designer and lead programmer respectively.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Still weird to think we almost had Wario has the bad guy. If that happened, I wouldn't be asking for the villain of DKC to be in Smash for the last ten years!

Gonna try to watch all of these later this week.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I love listening to this. Mayles's explanation for not having a UI and him talking about being inspired by Indiana Jones was incredible. Some of my favorite GX stuff in a long while

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
We need to discover who Wise's mystery french composer inspiration is.
His Phil Collins praise truly brings bayou boogie full circle.

Woah, gamexplain actually bringing up the GBA DKC3 OST in the interview, my heroes!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Grassland groove vocals being from Nintendo's own choir is incredible trivia goodness, that track just got even better.

Also we don't tend to get tidbits about Yamamoto's influence on the music so there's one of them.