• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is gaem gud now?

• Yes

Votes: 80 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 55 40.7%

• Total voters

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
From the famous Mario 64 modding virtuoso Kaze Emanuar comes a new GameShark code that makes a much-requested change to the best-selling video game of 1999. If you input it, you can switch characters anywhere, without having to backtrack to the Tag Barrel every time you want to grab a character-specific collectible.

Do you guys like my favorite Rare platformer now?

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
nice, would be so useful now that there is a new randomizer mod release for this game as well, they might be using that already too but haven't watched the video posted yet or the randomizer to confirm that, hope I can watch some later

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
close to what I'd want, yeah. I personally think every kong should be able to pick up every banana. That would have gone a very long way towards making the game tolerable.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Call me when they make a mod that turns turns every song in the game into mashups with the DK Rap.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I had a lot of time before, so I loved the game.

Nowadays, that could be useful.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Now where's the hack that simplifies the generic bananas down to one type and cans the mini games?

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a hack that makes this game disappear forever?

I got this game while I was in high school. I remember playing it for a while until the tediousness and boredom became to much. I gave it to my buddy along with the extra expansion pack that came with the game. (I bought a pak a year earlier).

I remember a few days later he approached me and told me he "loved it" and I was crazy for hating it. I called bullshit on him, and accused him of just being a contrarian. He said he wasn't and he was going to be beat the game and 100% it.

So he labored over it for weeks and weeks, and finally one day he came up to me in school to tell me had done it. But his eyes were dead and there was no joy in his voice. I prodded him to just admit the game sucked and although I thought he would crack and admit it, he just handed me the game back and silently walked away shaking his head.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
I played this game.
All of it.
Got everything.
Got the coins on the arcade even.
Both endings.

It was fine. Really fine.

Louise-eye-twitch-GIF.gif

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
DK 64's criticisms are SUPER legitimate and fair, but the game was never that bad. Realtime character switching has the potential to be a game-changer!

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Add a skip minigame option to this and the game might be decent.
I mean, I'm pretty sure if you just want to beat the game the only mini-games you're required to play are the original Donkey Kong and Jetpac...
You say "got the coins on the arcade even" as if that was some hidden secret and not required to finish the game. Fuck those arcades...
Yeah, the second round of Donkey Kong was really hard. I had to get a friend to beat it for me, lol.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Gameshark code being called a hack ?

It's been a while since I heard one of those

It basically is, just lets you inject your own code into the game, just that it came preloaded with the codes you needed.

I recall one time I fucked up a Fire Emblem save with Action Replay because the infinite HP cheat assumed the max of pre-promotion Ike and I ran it post-promotion to get me through the Black Knight. I used a tool that translated Action Replay codes into Hex, compared two characters' infinite HP codes and isolated the parts that were different and then adjusted numbers until I was able to fix Ike's HP in my save.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you could collect any banana with any Kong and even if you could change Kongs at the press of a button, this game would still be terrible. There's literally no saving it, it is beyond redemption.

That said those speed runs exploiting out of bounds glitches almost every step of the way are very entertaining.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That aspect was never the problem for me. Moreso level design and mini games.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
That said those speed runs exploiting out of bounds glitches almost every step of the way are very entertaining.
It is incredible how this game always felt so well-constructed to me as a kid, and yet in actuality is held together by safety pins and Scotch tape. Walls are vague suggestions, vertical jump limits are an illusion, and you can fight any boss with any character you feel like. Some of those glitches are easy enough to try yourself!

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I had expected there to have been some kind of technical reason that would've made this hack really hard to make because I thought for sure this would've been done ages ago otherwise. He made it sound like it was quite simple, though. Then again, this guy has a lot of experience hacking games and is clearly very skilled.

Being able to pick up all bananas with any Kong would've been even better, but this definitely should make the game a lot more tolerable.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
fantastic game either way but this sounds really cool. it's about time for a replay. amazing this took 20 years to become a reality lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong 64 was a great game that would have most of its glaring issues fixed if you could do this shit

Now you can

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
You say "got the coins on the arcade even" as if that was some hidden secret and not required to finish the game. Fuck those arcades...
It fucked my mind so hard that is starting to play tricks on me. I thought it wasn't required.
So what triggers the secret ending? Now I can't remember..

Actually, nevermind, I'm glad it is being slowly erased from my mind. >_>

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would make this pile of shit playable at least. This mod was needed on the cartridge.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I have a 101% completion file on this game with a total clock time of about 200 hours from when I was like 7 or 8 years old.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Does it also change the level design of all the levels so there's anything for all the characters everywhere?

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I didn't mind any of the shortcomings of this game when it came out, I collected everything actually.

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
The game would still be massively flawed, but this would definitely make the game worth replaying for nostalgia for me, at least.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Even my friend who loves DK64 admits this game has aged like trash so anything to make it better i guess.

If it werent for the incredible music and N64 Rare nostalgia this game would be even worse.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Now where's the hack that simplifies the generic bananas down to one type and cans the mini games?
This. The hack only mitigates one major problem, but the game is still tedious af. I'd rather play Bubsy 3D again than go through the same areas 5 times just to collect shit.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make that barrel invisible and ok.

Also I loved the original back then, it's just one of those game I can't do again after doing it entirely once.