• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just easier to be pessimistic in times like these. I'm certainly glad they've impeached him and he gets a permanent black mark against his name but I'm not going to get my hopes up about 2020. If Americans voters actually gave a shit about corruption, they wouldn't have elected him in the first place. Democrats need to actually energise their base and using a strategy "look how bad Trump is", aint going to do it imo.
Energize the base? Better hope Biden or Mayor Pete don't win then...

Mar 30, 2019
I'm glad that this was done. We should care that Trump has been formally charged for his terrible behavior. Whether he is removed or the trial is even held is all typical politics.

It's also not set in stone.

Nor is his reelection a lock. Pretending like it is amounts to planning for failure and preemptively shooting yourself in the foot. You are revealing how little hope you have by spreading and seeding these defeatest thoughts.

Dream of a better future and vote on it. Be more informed. Stop listening to the negative opinions and emotional distractions of those not interested in your well being.

I care about what it represents and mean to make a difference too. As small as it may be.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not American but is this just going to be defeated by the Republicans in the next house and then championed as a victory for Donald Trump in his campaign?

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
My Facebook feed is amazing right now.
The sheer amount of people that dont understand the process is astounding.

"Hur hur hes not impeached all the way.. because he hasnt faced the senate yet. "

No dumbfuck, that black mark sticls on his record for eternity. Dont act like an ass because you dont understand the system.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not American but is this just going to be defeated by the Republicans in the next house and then championed as a victory for Donald Trump in his campaign?

Basically, yes. That's what the argument for not doing it was.

Thing is, it really was the right thing to do regardless of the political fallout. Trump deserves to be impeached. Not doing so because Dems feared the consequences would have consequences in its own right.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Three years, it was impeachment this impeachment that. I thought this was the endgoal. The victory. Then it happens and it's like wait, this isn't removal? The Senate will still keep him and he'll still go on to finish his term like normal? For fuck's sake.

Shame on me for not remembering social studies from high school I guess but man, what a fucking disappointment. Aside from a stain on his presidential legacy (which neither he nor his supporters certainly give a shit about), what did this accomplish, if he isn't removed? I'm so fucking sad at this. I thought impeachment was the THING.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The reason your Trump-aligned relatives and others like them are saying this "ensures his re-election" is because they're shocked and upset that Donald Trump has officially been held accountable for something.

Consider that a lot of Trump supporters (not the disgusting ones who go full MAGA), the people around you who think Trump is "an effective leader", think so because they support a conservative agenda and Trump was supposed to be the invincible champion of their causes; 'Telfon Don'. Supposedly, nothing could stop him from getting those "wins", not any of the scandals as a trash celebrity realtor, or during his primary, or during the Mueller investigation, and less and less ethics and reason matters because "by god our unpopular bullshit is finally getting through".

Well, something finally stuck, and this is quite a stain to have.

The MAGA crowd will go down with the sinking ship, because they are maniacs. But for some conservatives? I would hope this is where they get off this stupid ride already. If there's anybody who's gonna be divided, it's them.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This "black mark on his record" doesn't mean shit, it's just a distraction from the fact that the Senate will toss this aside once they get to vote on it. I'm philosophically glad it happened but my gut tells me that this will just galvanize his base come 2020 in much the same way it did for Clinton after he was impeached.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Three years, it was impeachment this impeachment that. I thought this was the endgoal. The victory. Then it happens and it's like wait, this isn't removal? The Senate will still keep him and he'll still go on to finish his term like normal? For fuck's sake.

Shame on me for not remembering social studies from high school I guess but man, what a fucking disappointment. Aside from a stain on his presidential legacy (which neither he nor his supporters certainly give a shit about), what did this accomplish, if he isn't removed? I'm so fucking sad at this. I thought impeachment was the THING.
I don't think this is true. There are people losing their minds over this and he certainly cares.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they're shocked and upset that Donald Trump has officially been held accountable for something.

Trump supporters are neither shocked nor upset, and they do not recognize this impeachment as him being held accountable, because to be held accountable, you would have to have done something wrong, and they don't think he's done anything wrong.

dmgdbug

Oct 27, 2017
This "black mark on his record" doesn't mean shit, it's just a distraction from the fact that the Senate will toss this aside once they get to vote on it. I'm philosophically glad it happened but my gut tells me that this will just galvanize his base come 2020 in much the same way it did for Clinton after he was impeached.

sorry i must still be living in the timeline where clinton won in 2000

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I can confirm from family. that Trump supporters are mad over this and deeply care about it. although, yeah they're not shocked

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Trump supporters are neither shocked nor upset, and they do not recognize this impeachment as him being held accountable, because to be held accountable, you would have to have done something wrong, and they don't think he's done anything wrong.

I disagree. As a Trump supporter, you can certainly posture or fool yourself into believing that everything Trump does is okay, but the key factor of why Trump is "the one" is because he was, up until tonight, supposedly nothing but a winner, untouchable and unstoppable.

Is it an immediate defeat of their beliefs? No, but this is practically unprecedented in Trump's career. If he can get impeached, what else can he lose?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that this was done. We should care that Trump has been formally charged for his terrible behavior. Whether he is removed or the trial is even held is all typical politics.

It's also not set in stone.

Nor is his reelection a lock. Pretending like it is amounts to planning for failure and preemptively shooting yourself in the foot. You are revealing how little hope you have by spreading and seeding these defeatest thoughts.

Dream of a better future and vote on it. Be more informed. Stop listening to the negative opinions and emotional distractions of those not interested in your well being.

I care about what it represents and mean to make a difference too. As small as it may be.
This. You realize that other people's perceptions are influenced by your own and negativity can actually be self fulfilling for that exact reason alone: it has been shown that it is actually much more effective to dissuade your opponent's supporters from voting than it is rallying your own supporters.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to look very hard to see that they are seething.

They think this is a sham and unconstitutional (lol) and all that, they think Trump will remain victorious, but boy howdy they are most definitely upset.

I would not classify delusional passion as seething though. They know he stays. They know this impeachment means fuck all.

And the best part is - They feel that is makes their run for second term even stronger.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After the Clinton impeachment Democrats lost the WH for 8 years.

The Trump base hasn't grown. The same angry old white people who were gonna vote for him anyway are going to show up.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sorry i must still be living in the timeline where clinton won in 2000
Pardon the confusion, I was referring to the backlash the GOP received in the election following after the Clinton affair. Newt Gingrich at the time assumed impeaching Clinton would bolster Republican constituent enthusiasm going into the upcoming election when in reality it had the opposite effect.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. As a Trump supporter, you can certainly posture or fool yourself into believing that everything Trump does is okay, but the key factor of why Trump is "the one" is because he was, up until tonight, supposedly nothing but a winner, untouchable and unstoppable.

Is it an immediate defeat of their beliefs? No, but this is practically unprecedented in Trump's career. If he can get impeached, what else can he lose?

Again, you are thinking trump supporters view this impeachment as some loss for him, and they don't. They just think the democrats are the swamp and continue to be corrupt.

Trump supporters are not sound in the head.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017

Clinton getting impeached was a big reason why Gwb became president and not Al Gore.

Also everyone knew Clinton impeachment was bullshit. People never saw lying to hide an affair, especially before MeToo, as a legit reason to remove a president.

Jun 22, 2019
I would not classify delusional passion as seething though. They know he stays. They know this impeachment means fuck all.

And despite them knowing this, some brief skimming of twitter will show you that they are extremely pissed off. You can't really claim they're not upset. They're very obviously angry as hell.

The defenses of Trump comparing him to Jesus during the impeachment proceedings were done by people who know those same things, and you saw how upset those people were that the impeachment proceedings were even happening. And that's not an act; it's self-righteous indignation.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Again, you are thinking trump supporters view this impeachment as some loss for him, and they don't. They just think the democrats are the swamp and continue to be corrupt.

Plus just think of this happened to someone you cared about. You would say it was bullshit. injustice happens every day in the world. It is very easy to see why they would call it illegitimate. Especially when it involves some stupid shit involving a spoiled son of a Democrat.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Doing the right right but fearing that Trump will use the failure of the political process as a victory narrative
Vs
Normalizing crimes but fearing that Trump will also use this failure of the political process (and nation's morals) as a victory narrative

Someone help me, I'm bad at math.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish one republican voted to impeach and that was a domino that caused all these hypnotized goofballs to snap out of it, and get his ass out of there. How can they not see they're on the wrong side of history?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doing the right right but fearing that Trump will use the failure of the political process as a victory narrative
Vs
Normalizing crimes but fearing that Trump will also use this failure of the political process (and nation's morals) as a victory narrative

The answer is C0c3rN

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And despite them knowing this, some brief skimming of twitter will show you that they are extremely pissed off. You can't really claim they're not upset. They're very obviously angry as hell.

The defenses of Trump comparing him to Jesus during the impeachment proceedings were done by people who know those same things, and you saw how upset those people were that the impeachment proceedings were even happening. And that's not an act; it's self-righteous indignation.

I'm going to claim they aren't upset based on the rally that just happened, and the thousands of posts across social media that back the idea that nothing has happened and democrats stay losing. I'm sure browsing twitter will turn up posts that bolster my argument as well, but the main point being - they aren't upset, or at least, not that upset. maybe slightly annoyed?

Or maybe I've just been around this shit for so long I don't even know what counts as angry and what counts as normal.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish one republican voted to impeach and that was a domino that caused all these hypnotized goofballs to snap out of it, and get his ass out of there. How can they not see they're on the wrong side of history?

They know. They're just too old to care about history. They don't give a single damn about the world they leave their children, or anyone's children. That much should be obvious by now.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't give a shit what Trump supporters thought before impeachment and I sure as fuck don't give a shit now. They are a lost cause and his 40% aren't going to be the reason he wins or loses in 2020. Everyone else showing the fuck up will be.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon the confusion, I was referring to the backlash the GOP received in the election following after the Clinton affair. Newt Gingrich at the time assumed impeaching Clinton would bolster Republican constituent enthusiasm going into the upcoming election when in reality it had the opposite effect.
I want to ensure you have the timeline correct. Republicans made a prospective impeachment the focus of the 1998 midterms, but it backfired on them. They lost seats when they should've gained (opposition parties typically perform well during the sixth year of a president's tenure). The House then impeached Clinton in December 1998 during the lame duck. Subsequently, the new Congress - or, rather, the new Senate - conducted the trial in January and February 1999. They technically never impeached him to generate enthusiasm; they just beat the drum for most of 1998.

The promise to impeach Clinton actually motivated Democrats because... Clinton was popular. Trump is not popular. All the mouthbreathers who say "KAGA 2020 second term incoming" would've voted for him anyway. However, this impeachment might help to spur Democratic turnout.

The scenarios really aren't comparable in the details, but we've had so few impeachments, and now only two in recent history, that people try to form as many connections as they can.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

That's the MAGA crowd, and like I said I expect those delusional people will go to their graves thinking this was all a sham.

What I'm talking about is the people who don't go to the rallies, but are right-wingers and backed Trump because he would get conservative policy through and not be impeded by silly things like laws.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm talking about is the people who don't go to the rallies, but are right-wingers and backed Trump because he would get conservative policy through and not be impeded by silly things like laws.

Do you really think that even those people, who are probably smarter than the average MAGA lover, care about this impeachment as well? They definitely know he's not going to be removed, so they probably have the same edgy hot take that they all have.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be one thing if the GOP recognized Trump's wrongdoing (yet failed to find the offense worthy of impeachment), but to not even acknowledge the President's culpability (or even accept the idea that such behavior is blameworthy) is ludicrous.
The longer Trump remains President, the wider the box becomes for what Republicans must deem to be acceptable (then again, they've had no issue simply ignoring reconciliation of their numerous petty grievances w/ Obama and their bevy of excuses w/ Trump...)

Oct 27, 2017
Vs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some of y'all would be crying and concerned over how a random senator's fart would "galvanize Trump's base."

Stop being afraid of your damn shadows and actually be happy that at least ONE part of our institutions is still functional (Thank you mid-term voters)

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think that even those people, who are probably smarter than the average MAGA lover, care about this impeachment as well? They definitely know he's not going to be removed, so they probably have the same edgy hot take that they all have.

Well, it's not about a removal (that would obviously be a lot more concerning for them), it's that he did something wrong and actually got held accountable.

Think about how many times Trump has done something wrong, and not gotten in trouble for it, or avoided court or any sort of ramification - that's a feature of his entire cult of personality. I think you're rightly seeing that the cult doesn't care that he does bad things - but they do know they're bad things, and it's empowering that he gets away with it. They, too, want that power to do all that horrible shit the rest of the world tells them is "wrong", and not be held accountable. The conservative agenda incidentally has a lot of horrible shit that is unpopular, and if they back anyone, it's someone who can effectively get it through.

But getting impeached, even sans removal, is a significant consequence for doing something wrong. Nixon wasn't even removed, he resigned - he's still the 'impeached president'.

What I'm trying to say is, if some of his supporters had confidence that Trump (and by extension, themselves) could never be held accountable by the opposition, today just erased that. It may only look like a slap on the face, but it must sting.

Last edited:

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
What if a miracle happens and the senate votes yea on impeacment what more needs to be done to get the oompa loompa removed from office?