• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I had the opportunity to talk with a person deeply involved in the Fable series. I knew that Don Mattrick did not like Peter Molyneux, but, perhaps because I am too naive, I would ever expect that someone would let personal feelings affect the fate of a company and of people working hard.

Don Mattrick did use his influence to reduce the budget of the Fable series when the series was at its peak, which caused the disappointment Fable 3 was. The goal was to push Peter out of the company, which worked. Once he was out, Microsoft hinted at not wanting Fable 4, but then, when the company shutdown, a key person stated the studio should have down Fable 4.That same person had been pushing Fable Legends previously.
What is striking there is that a company was sacrificed for quite petty reasons by one person, and also that the studio was roasted for following instructions given by the publisher.

In Fact, Lionhead wasn't to blame for Fable late issues, but I wonder how many people truly realize this, because when we think about a game we think about the people who make it. But publishers can sabotage the whole work it seems.

I think it is worth talking about this because it is clearly an example of not respecting people, whether it is players who enjoyed the whole series, and more importantly here, developers who were invested in a project crippled by the publisher.

Last edited:

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Nov 5, 2017
I had the opportunity to talk with a person deeply involved in the Fable series. I knew that Don Mattrick did not like Peter Molyneux, but, perhaps because I am too naive, I would ever expect that someone would let personal feelings affect the fate of a company and of eople working hard.

Don Mattrick did use his influence to reduce the budget of the Fable series when the series was at its peak, which caused the disappointment Fable 3 was. The goal was to push Peter out of the company, which worked. Once he was out, Microsoft hinted at not wanting Fable 4, but then, when the company shutdown, a key person stated the studio should have down Fable 4.That same person had been pushing Fable Legends previously.
What is striking there is that a company was sacrificed for quite petty reasons by pne person, and also that the studio was roasted for folowing instructions given by the publisher.

In Fact, Lionhead wasn't to blame for Fable late issues, but I wonder how many people truly realize this, because when we think about a game we think about the people who make it. But publishers can sabotage the whole work it seems.

I think it is worth talking about this because it is clearly an example of not respecting people, whether it is players who enjoyed the whole series, and more importantly here, developers who were invested in a project crippled by the publisher.

What's wrong with your spelling?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
That's the tea, sis.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
You have any evidence of this OP? How do we know you didn't make this up? You're making a pretty big accusation.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to make of the OP, but I always thought it was a bad decision to rush Fable III out only two years after Fable II. It's not the type of game that works well on a 2 year dev cycle.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Cmon this thread is senseless bullshit without proof of some sort. Should be locked.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
You have any evidence of this OP? How do we know you didn't make this up? You're making a pretty big accusation.
Dene Carter, who worked on the series, talks openly about it. He even has a discord server you can easily find if you google him and find his current nickname)He now works on his own indie games, but he often talks openly with people about his experience on the Fable series.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Dene Carter, who worked on the series, talks openly about it. He even has a discord server you can easily find if you google him and find his current nickname)He now works on his own indie games, but he often talks openly with people about his experience on the Fable series.
You going to regret putting his name out there.
Just saying.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Post some screenshots then. It's not our responsibility to fact check your statements.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm taking it with a grain of salt but it's honestly not unbelievable. Peter Molyneux is a pathological liar with no footing in reality. I could imagine he's a pain in the ass to hold business meetings and arrange agreements with.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't do that... There's enough drama on the internet.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the opportunity to talk with a person deeply involved in the Fable series. I knew that Don Mattrick did not like Peter Molyneux, but, perhaps because I am too naive, I would ever expect that someone would let personal feelings affect the fate of a company and of people working hard.

What is striking there is that a company was sacrificed for quite petty reasons by one person, and also that the studio was roasted for following instructions given by the publisher.

Those are some serious allegations you are stating. Do you have any other evidence to back up your friend's statement?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I don't know about this particular topic, but rivalry, sometimes based on personal animosity, between departments among a company can definitely exist, leading to some absurd and irrational behavior...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Too much speculation without any actual supposed evidence.

I will say, though, the title could still be true and too harsh. Maybe he hated him because of a back story. Maybe he felt he was constantly being mislead and lied to. And just hated working with him because nothing from his mouth could be trusted. That's not some personal vendetta. That would just be getting tired of the same old shtick and not wanting to deal with it anymore.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I'd buy this, Don Mattrick was one of the most smug, holier than thou people I've seen be an executive in the game industry. His attitude was always "I know better" and I could see if someone challenged him he would pull something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.