• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hockey commentator Don Cherry was the target of an online backlash after complaining that he rarely sees people he believes to be new immigrants wearing poppies ahead of Remembrance Day.

The 85-year-old Cherry said on Saturday on his weekly Coach's Corner segment on "Hockey Night in Canada" that he's seeing fewer people wearing poppies to honour fallen Canadian soldiers — and he singled out those he believes are immigrants in Toronto.

"You people ... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," Cherry said. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."

Among the online responses was one from Paula Simons, an independent senator from Alberta. She wrote that it has not been her experience that new immigrants don't wear poppies or appreciate the tragedies of war, and further condemned the sentiment behind Cherry's remarks.

"We don't honour the sacrifice of those who died in battle by sowing division or distrust," Simons wrote.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always change the channel when he comes on. This dinosaur should've been fired years ago when he criticized French players

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
A large chunk of people know that Don hasn't been worth listening to for years now, both in terms of hockey and social issues. Not surprising he would think this and feel it was necessary to say on TV. CBC should have gotten rid of him years ago and people would be better off ignoring the nonsense he gets on with.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Racist old man ascribes characteristic to self-imagined stereotype.

I liked him a lot better when I was a kid and just thought he liked wearing unusual clothes.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know why he's still on air.

He used to hate on Europeans and minorities for years.

Unless you're a good old Canadian Boy who plays tough you're on his bad books.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Reminded me of this thread:

Anyway, I had a red poppy pinned to my jacket today and on the bus someone near me said "careful with that". I was really confused and said what?? And the person went on to tell me how the poppy is a glorification of war, military industrial complex and colonialism. I was legit dumbfounded. Honestly had no response to him besides saying I don't think that's what it represents.

"careful with that" still makes me laugh

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I had the game on in the background and when I heard what he was saying I was like wtf? His statement was real base xenophobic bullshit. The type of crap you would read on Stormfront.

mrtnmntrl

Nov 5, 2017
Montreal
What a fucking clown. I never understood why anybody looks up to him and I'll be happy when he retires. One of the greatest Canadians, my ass.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
This is the dumbass that constantly advocated for more violence in the sport. Fuck off, old man.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
We should be remembering our fallen. The poppy itself isn't a huge deal if you don't want to purchase and show but it's still a significant part of Canadian history.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Well hes right. As in I dont wanna honour soldiers. Not that I dont respect them and if you wear a poppy then great.

Don cherry is a pretty loud Christian so maybe he likes bible quotes.
"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You guys seriously underestimate how many old white guys would go off their fucking rockers if Cherry got removed from HNiC.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Don Cherry's an authoritarian loon who spends as much time talking about "the troops" as he does hockey.

Funny how "stick to sports" only applies to left wing talk.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I thought the poppy bullshit only happened here. I just donate and don't wear shit now because of these sort of types that want to force everyone to wear one and the yearly James McClean bullshit.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Don Cherry is a relic of the past, and not a good one at that.

Sportsnet needs to get rid of him, but they wont until he quits or dies.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
This is the dumbass that constantly advocated for more violence in the sport. Fuck off, old man.
I mean hockey was a lot more entertaining when there was more physicality. If we're going to go down the removal of physicality in sports, why not advocate for football without linebackers?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean hockey was a lot more entertaining when there was more physicality. If we're going to go down the removal of physicality in sports, why not advocate for football without linebackers?
...Didn't we have a major motion picture about concussions in football a few years back?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I disagree. The speed and the up and down action of the game is a lot more entertaining than the boring grinding and dump and chase shit in the previous decade.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
I believe hockey is more exciting in the Olympics, which is goon free.

Oct 27, 2017
Don Cherry is a xenophobic bigot. This is well known.

Unfortunately the sport of hockey is lily white and attracts a sizable demographic of fragile bigoted little man babies who have made it racist as fuck and who support and have deified this useless sack of meat and bones.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wear one because I don't walk around with cash/change and that seems like the way to get one. I'm also not going out of my way to find an alternative route. Not that big a deal.

Don Cherry has been saying stupid shit for a decade.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Unfortunately the sport of hockey is lily white and attracts a sizable demographic of fragile bigoted little man babies who have made it racist as fuck and who support and have deified this useless sack of meat and bones.
Jurassic Park:

yy2PTZS.jpg

Maple Leaf Square:

2czd5P9.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Says a lot of people that worry about the superfiscal trappings

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope this racist fossil gets fired.

Also: I hope every one of his eye-assaulting suits spontaneously combust.