• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bruce Arthur's piece is really good, particularly the end.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...erry-never-changed-even-as-the-world-did.html

Don had more enablers than anything, and that's why it ended the way it did. In 1993, Leigh Montville profiled Cherry for Sports Illustrated, and Cherry said, "My wife, Rose, wants me to quit. She stays home and just worries. She hates the show, hates it. She knows I'm going to say something sometime that's going to send everything up in flames. Probably some of the political stuff. She hates the political stuff.

"You know, though, she's my best critic. If I go home and she won't talk to me, that's when I know the show has been really good. The best ones are the ones she hates most." As Montville wrote, former Hockey Night producer Ralph Mellanby said he was glad he didn't do the show anymore, that Cherry was beating the foreigners and fighting drums too much, that he was doing too much politics, that something will happen.

Something finally did. Donald S. Cherry was a simple career minor-leaguer from Kingston who mangled words and specialized in sucker punches, and he somehow became the biggest name in hockey, or at least its loudest voice. But he never changed, even as the world did, and Rose died, and his best producers left and in the end he sent everything up in flames, just as he predicted. He was wrong, of course, at the end. He was wrong, and he was fired on Remembrance Day.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Everything aside, I do love a good "You people" it is kinda quaint in this day and age

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This has been a long time coming. Execs should have forced him off the air maybe decades ago because he's been steadily losing it. I'm convinced at least half the audience that gives a shit about the the HNiC desk these days is because he's wacky to watch and listen to, not that he says anything pertinent to the game (especially as it gets further away from what he wants it to be).

I do wonder if the firing being literally on Remembrance Day is going to rile up the right-wing shitstorm-chasers more than it otherwise would, though. Weaponizing "the troops" (pardon the wordplay) could make this bigger than it otherwise would be.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
"what about his free speech ?" is trending with I stand with Don hashtag.

I suggest no one of colour reads the opinions articles tommorow in the newspaper.

Do not do this to yourselves.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Went down the twitter hole and randomly picked a complaining tweet, and looked at the users past week's posts.

Subjects covered:
-wrestling
-retweeting someone else's account ban complaint
-something cancel culture something

Sounds about right.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I know Don Cherry has said some fucked up shit before but I think the point he was trying to prove is right? Like I think everybody should wear a poppy on remembrance day for everybody who gave us our opportunities.
Thought the the way he phrased it was not right.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I know Don Cherry has said some fucked up shit before but I think the point he was trying to prove is right? Like I think everybody should wear a poppy on remembrance day for everybody who gave us our opportunities.
But he had the opportunity to clarify his comments and he didn't.

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing right about what he said. He purposefully and singularly directed his ire towards visible minorities.

How else would he know who is or isn't an immigrant? And this poppy shaming is some jingoistic ignorant bullshit. Just because someone doesn't have a poppy on doesn't mean they didn't or that they don't support or remember Veterans in other meaningful manners.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People need to stop thinking this is some kind of 1984, dystopian affront to free speech.

He's free to say what he wants while he's unemployed.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

He knew exactly what he was saying and what he meant by it.

He's done this before.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
gotta say this is pretty tame compared to what I was expecting when I read he got fired and went to read up on what happened

not that he didn't deserve it but this has gotta be like the hundredth worst thing he's said

guess it was a last straw kinda thing where those in charge were just waiting for an excuse to finally move on from him

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
gotta say this is pretty tame compared to what I was expecting when I read he got fired and went to read up on what happened

not that he didn't deserve it but this has gotta be like the hundredth worst thing he's said

guess it was a last straw kinda thing where those in charge were just waiting for an excuse to finally move on from him
He was no longer sheltered by a public broadcaster (CBC)

A private telecom decided enough is enough (Rogers)

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I'm impressed Sportnet finally had the balls to fire him, obviously other bad people are pissed and will try to protect him and probably give him a new show, but his racism and xenophobia has been around for decades. Hockey needs to be far more welcoming and open to all cultures.

Oh, and Propagandhi has been right about him for years, I hope the band is enjoying this.

Hells yeah

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Don Cherry has been a clown for years. Thankful he finally got fired.

Also, while we're at it, Don Cherry has always dressed like a fucking clown.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

His comments were targetted directly at new immigrants of color, which he singled out over white "old stock" Canadians who are also wearing the poppy in declining numbers. His rhetoric was hateful, divisive, and dripping with xenophobia and racism. His best before date was decades ago, and he definitely should have been forced to retire before this millenium. The world doesn't need any more angry white men preaching hate on tv.

Furthermore this idea that you must wear a poppy or be shamed is super divisive in itself. I support the victims of violence, not the aggressors, and since WW2 there have been millions killed in the name of western 'freedom'. I'll continue to not wear a poppy, thank you very much.

On the bright side for his supporters, now he can finally go on the Joe Rogan podcast and announce his Peoples Party candidacy

rawd

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine someone who doesn't wear a poppy but reps veterans all day every day on social media. Don is a dinosaur.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you - how do you think he's identifying the "you people" in his rant? Do you think he's stopping and talking to everyone to see if they're immigrants?

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing right about what he said. He purposefully and singularly directed his ire towards visible minorities.

How else would he know who is or isn't an immigrant? And this poppy shaming is some jingoistic ignorant bullshit. Just because someone doesn't have a poppy on doesn't mean they didn't or that they don't support or remember Veterans in other meaningful manners.

Agreed and he said in his current hometown of Mississauga where he lives.
Mississauga is full of minorities.

To specifically point out that city means he's talking about immigrants who are not white.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed and he said in his current hometown of Mississauga where he lives.
Mississauga is full of minorities.

To specifically point out that city means he's talking about immigrants who are not white.
This. It was the loudest dog whistle in the world. Brampton and Mississauga are the go-to cities that racists love to bring up.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I think Rogers wanted to dump him when they took over HNIC. They should have. It was the perfect time to do it. But they got wishy washy and worried about the backlash. Even now Rogers saying they talked with Don and they "agreed that he should step down" is bullshit. He was fired. Don't be afraid to admit that they fired him.

Screw the backlash. A small amount of vocal minority making a big deal out of it is pretty ridiculous. He's been stockpiling stupid comments for decades so it shouldn't be a surprise. I never really understood the celebrity status he got anyway. The goof got 5 minutes per week during the hockey season and got made into some sort of political hero. He was a big mouth bigot that should have been ignored decades ago. I found him easy to ignore.

We're there to watch hockey, not 5 minutes of Cherry. Ignore the backlash and move on. He is no hero. He never was.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is also a CTE denier. There's a good doc about concussions and CTE in hockey and this fool who dresses like a clown in old drapes is out there pretending like there is no problem.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Press Progress: Don Cherry's Right-Wing Fans Attacked the Royal Canadian Legion on Remembrance Day For Being Disloyal to Don Cherry
Right-wing mob turns against the Legion on Remembrance Day, threatens to stop buying poppies
Don Cherry supporters commemorated Remembrance Day this year by denouncing the Royal Canadian Legion after the veterans' organization disavowed itself of Cherry's "hurtful" and "divisive" views on immigrants.

Some even suggested they will stop buying poppies on Remembrance Day altogether to show their solidarity with the disgraced broadcaster.

Cherry, an iconic but controversial personality who had hosted Coach's Corner since 1982, was fired by Sportsnet following an on-air rant during Hockey Night in Canada last weekend that saw the broadcaster rail against immigrants for not wearing poppies — an allegation for which Cherry provided no evidence and later refused to walk back.

"I don't regret a thing," Cherry told the Toronto Star.

Cherry admits he "could have stayed if I had wiped the floor with myself and returned as a tamed person," but said he didn't "feel that the people who watch Coach's Corner deserve something like that."

Cherry's firing was immediately co-opted by right-wing media culture warriors who attempted to portray Cherry's refusal to take any responsibility for his own actions as an example of "cancel culture" and the "Left's war on free speech."

While Cherry continues to use his advocacy work on behalf of the Royal Canadian Legion to justify his anti-immigrant tirade, even the organization responsible for overseeing Remembrance Day poppies has distanced itself from Cherry's views.

"Mr. Cherry's personal opinion was hurtful, divisive and in no way condoned by the Legion," the Legion said in a statement Monday evening.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

saint

Oct 27, 2017
no, everyone should not wear a poppy if they don't want to nor shamed if they don't

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

3FCpcx9.gif

Literally what he's doing right now.

TalkingToast

Oct 29, 2017
Stopped wearing a poppy personally because of comments like these. The point Don was trying to get at is immigrants (read people of colour) should all be wearing them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Canadian soldiers fought for our opportunities, we were forced into both World Wars by Britain as we didn't have control over our foreign affairs until after WW2 and many Canadians were conscripted in those conflicts.