• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the official Duke Nukem Forever vaporware successor or are there any other mentionable contenders?
This is like Duke Nukem Forever, except if the people who pre-ordered it had kept on pre-ordering more copies every few months and the money for that had gone directly to 3D Realms.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Who will finish first? Star Citizen or GMMR's Winds of Winter to Dream of Spring?

The answer is none of them.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
You would think this project would be an easy target for the media but instead from what I can tell nobody wants to cover the story.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Bet you he's still hoping another company jumps in so he can walk away like with what happened with Freelancer. I think it was sometime in 2018 he absolved himself of terrible timeframe.

This is always going to be my favorite development project, I want to see how far he can go.

Did they ever get the roadmap for a roadmap out?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Squadron 42 should have never have even been announced alongside Star Citizen. Get the main game out and running before focusing on anything else.

This is why directors shouldn't be their own producers without the right skills, you get overly-ambitious directors who can't be told when to stop because they need to actually launch their game at some point instead of piling on everything you can think of.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised he didn't shoehorn in some kind of 'we also want to make sure our developers don't have to crunch' or some spin on it too.

Wonder if he posted this from his yacht.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yeah okay thats why I won't be playing, what a waste of money, luckily I only contributed the minimum at the time for the game and basic ass ship

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yes, buggy release is the reason the game won't be shown or coming out any time soon. It's absolutely nothing else. I totally believe it.

skeptical-futurama.gif

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't there some sort of multiplayer element that's already playable? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This is obviously a scam, just like Bernie Madoff was. Many people believed in Madoff. Sure, some of the money is used for a little development, they have to keep appearances after all for money to keep coming in. It might have even started with good intentions, but for a long time now they have seen they can get away with anything and so this has turned into a well oiled system.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not gonna lie, I really wanna see how it's coming along these days.
We're nearing the point in time where it's visuals are no longer a generation above the rest but "good" - and that point will be past in a year or two too.

Hopefully the gameplay will live up to the expectations and hopefully it'll come out in the next year or so. From the plan a while back it should be in Alpha these days and with Covid it should be "ready" around the end of 2021? At least if they still follow the last known release plan at least roughly.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect to be playing Star Citizen's single-player campaign, Squadron 42, anytime soon; Chris Roberts wants to avoid buggy release

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Reality will pass this game up and we'll be flying in space on the regular for real.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie, I really wanna see how it's coming along these days.
We're nearing the point in time where it's visuals are no longer a generation above the rest but "good" - and that point will be past in a year or two too.

Hopefully the gameplay will live up to the expectations and hopefully it'll come out in the next year or so. From the plan a while back it should be in Alpha these days and with Covid it should be "ready" around the end of 2021? At least if they still follow the last known release plan at least roughly.

From their latest trailer I think the graphics are still looking pretty top notch. The multiplayer portion is also looking better every quarter, the December patch had some massive graphical improvements to the planets and atmosphere, including volumetric stuff in space.

They aren't really showing anything for the S42 but given they're being developed in tandem I think it's fair to use Star Citizen as a judge of its general progress.

Jul 17, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling over a series of posts. Long history and numerous prior bans for trolling and inflammatory behavior.
Hope Digital Foundry will do another series on the really impressive tech behind SC without looking at how it was implemented during these 9 years lmao

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm impressed with how long this dude has been stringing people along with this scam.

Peebs

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2020
This is because it is too early to discuss release or finish dates on Squadron 42.

It was meant to be released in 2016! It was meant to have a Beta this year!

Only an idiot would buy the excuse that they don't want to do a Cyberpunk by having a messy incomplete launch, when by his own admission it's no where near close to the semi-playable state Cyberpunk is in.

The planned Squadron 42 specific update show, the Briefing Room is not dead; it will just go on hiatus until we are closer to release and it comes back as a part of an overall plan to build excitement as we show all the amazing features and details players will experience in Squadron 42.

Didn't it take them 6 months to make the one and only episode?

The new roadmap is as clear as mud. So much effort put into making a DIRT style GUI to convey as little information as possible.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want."

SpectacularSadAddax-size_restricted.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is the weakest possible position to be throwing stones. Think of the dev whose entire resumé since graduating is "working on Star Citizen assets".

Meanwhile, in Elite Dangerous...

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
2019 was itself a record year at the time, with $48 million in sales revenue, yet 2020 is so far already 60% higher, and will likely close at over $80 million in sales this year.

That right there is the real reason they won't release anytime soon. They are going to make 80 million this year. What incentive do they have to release?