• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud Imperium has issued a new progress update, in which it revealed that Squadron 42 is nowhere close to being complete. As such, the team does not plan to show any gameplay footage for this game for the foreseeable future. In fact, you should not expect to be playing this single-player space combat game anytime soon.

Chris Robert claimed that he does not want to release a buggy game, and that the awful release of Cyberpunk 2077 is something that Cloud Imperium tries to avoid.

As Chris Robert said:

"As I said earlier this year, Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date, but instead only when all the technology and content is finished, the game is polished, and it plays great. I am not willing to compromise the development of a game I believe in with all my heart and soul, and I feel it would be a huge disservice to all the team members that have poured so much love and hard work into Squadron 42 if we rushed it out or cut corners to put it in the hands of everyone who is clamoring for it. Over the past few years, I've seen more than a few eagerly awaited titles release before they were bug free and fully polished. This holiday season is no exception. This is just another reminder to me of why I am so lucky to have such a supportive community, as well as a development model that is funded by people that care about the best game possible, and not about making their quarterly numbers or the big holiday shopping season.

For most games it is typical to not even announce the project until about 12 months out and only start building awareness with marketing 6 months before launch. The issues with showing gameplay, locations or assets on a narratively driven game this early are twofold. First, a marketing campaign can only last so long and second, there is only so much of the gameplay that we can show before release as we want you to experience a really engrossing story. If we show the non-spoiler gameplay now, that's prime footage and gameplay that could have been used closer to release. It is better to treat Squadron 42 like a beautifully wrapped present under the tree that you are excited to open on Christmas Day, not knowing exactly what is inside, other than that it's going to be great.

Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want."
www.dsogaming.com

Don't expect to be playing Star Citizen's single-player campaign, Squadron 42, anytime soon

Cloud Imperium has issued a new progress update, in which it revealed that Squadron 42 is nowhere close to being complete.

robertsspaceindustries.com

Letter from the Chairman - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

So he's clearly implying that he wants to avoid a buggy release like Cyberpunk 2077.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Using cyberpunk as an excuse not to show in-development gameplay footage is fishy as hell.

People have sunk in time and money into this. Weird rationale not to give them anything at all to show milestones.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"When the technology is finished" has been a goal that has pushed everything further down a line when it comes to the whole Star Citizen project. It's as if "perfect" really is the target, and that's a target many obviously don't aim for when it comes to games because you get projects in production hell.

I hope this isn't a case where the ambition ultimately ruins the project, but that seems to be the thing with Star Citizen, doesn't it? It's always aiming further than it's showing. It screams feature-creep.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
This looks like an attempt at spinning messy development into positive PR by piggybacking off of Cyberpunk's controversy

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I love how they are using Cyberpunk controversy as a mean to justify even more delays.

SQ42 was supposed to launch in 2016

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I was still in secondary school when I placed an order for SQ42 and Star Citizen.

Now I've gone through Sixth Form, Uni and now I've got a job. I'll be an old man by the time SQ42 comes out, at least my grandchildren will be able to play it.

Seriously though, I just want a fun space game to play.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
080bf880ae296dc311288e163fe92931.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Where's all that Kickstarter money gone Chris??
Well most of it has gone into wages, the problem is that they don't really have product to show for it. If people stop buying jpeg ships they won't have much cash left to continue development. I have no idea why people still give them money.

Please remember people the game is already technically already released as they consider people buying the JPEG ships and games revenue.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
www.engadget.com

'Squadron 42' developers targeting 2020 for alpha, beta releases

Star Citizen creator Chris Roberts announced today that Squadron 42 should be available to play in 2020. According to Roberts, his development team is hoping to be "feature and content complete" on the single-player game by the end of 2019. The game will have a six-month Alpha run during the...
(a 2018(!!!) article, citing Roberts himself)

Game's never coming out.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Even though it is actually bad news that this game is nowhere near ready, you can expect it to be greeted with praise from vocal supporters of SC, celebrating Roberts for his transparency and honesty. And I cannot quite believe those revenue figures - either they are bullshit or the people who are already invested are the personification of the sunk cost fallacy. How can they be making ever more money as time goes by and more and more people become disillusioned with progress? It just doesn't add up really.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Can't make a buggy release if you never make a release.

Tongue-in-cheek snark, of course, but it's worth bearing in mind that that's literally a possible - even likely - conclusion to take from his statements about perfectionism and wanting all the tech complete.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the official Duke Nukem Forever vaporware successor or are there any other mentionable contenders?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Don't worry. I wasn't expecting it soon.
Gary Oldman will be dead from old age before this thing comes out.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Anyone who has ever followed a Chris Roberts game knows about all the issues from budget and other factors various teams have gone through. With all the money they have lol who knows when it'll come out.

Guy is bonkers. Do think it will eventually come out tho

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the official Duke Nukem Forever vaporware successor or are there any other mentionable contenders?

The only other projects I can recall taking this long were community made ones like Black Mesa, Beyond Skyrim, and the TES III/IV fan remakes. These weren't crowdfunded projects, which makes the lack of updates even more odd for Squadron 42.

I've only ever backed Bloodstained, and I believe within the first year or so of the projects development, you got a taste of the campaign. Have they even let people try content from Squadron 42 or is it still "buy this premium ship we just released" as a business model?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
The issues with showing gameplay, locations or assets on a narratively driven game this early are twofold. First, a marketing campaign can only last so long

Funny to hear this from the company that pioneered the never-ending crowd funding campaign.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
more excited about the inevitable netflix docu series about this shitshow than actual game tbh.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm sorry, but I'm not capable of understanding why anyone would put money towards this thing at this point. This "game" is never getting released lol. One day not enough people will be purchasing .jpg files and they'll have to close. That's pretty much the fate of this.

About this specific bit of news, it's clear to me that he's just using the Cyberpunk release as an excuse to justify the infinite delay

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
How the tables have turned.

Now a CDPR game is being used as good PR for another company.