• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. We really gonna just call out American tourists for no fucking reason, with no justification or statistical evidence of American tourists being particularly worse than those from other countries?
The hate boner is strong here
How good an american is as a tourist depends on the culture of the country they are visiting. Some cultures are more acomodating to loud people, others arent. While im sure the tourist agencies love the dollars you guys bring, i only ever hear complaints about you guys from friends and regular people.

But like i said, thats mostly a cultural thing for us, not an opinion of the world at large

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Should have just made the thread about that Tinder Date OP.

Then people can just tell you to mind your business instead of being told your thread is a fail.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I heard an American in a very quiet bar in Krakow very loudly have a discussion with his friend about American politics (he was pro-trump) and he was even completely unironically asking the other to "debate me bro, lets have a debate, I love to debate."

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I once saw an American tourist asking a little Italian boy whether he spoke English, then reiterating loudly that he should learn English in school. He used a few Spanish words as a surefire way make sure that the boy understood him. Something like 'you should habla English'

Awesome 🤣

I'm supposed to go to Italy next year, and am decent at Spanish. I'm taking it upon myself to learn some Italian before the trip.
(I'm American)

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
- that Americans have moral authority to tell others what to do.

giphy.gif

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
To the people calling Americans loud; do you mean white Americans? Because they're are quite as fuck compared to Latinos(Either American Latinos or from central/south America)

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I once saw an American tourist asking a little Italian boy whether he spoke English, then reiterating loudly that he should learn English in school. He used a few Spanish words as a surefire way make sure that the boy understood him. Something like 'you should habla English'
That tourists name? Albert Einstein

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Have all the people complaining at OP actually heard Americans abroad?

Motherfuckers, we can hear your conversation 10 miles away.
We may often be loud as hell, but we're also typically some of the nicest tourists you'll find.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.
List of topics, American dude was trying to impress German girl with:

- his stance on Obama's healthcare policies
- that whole he doesn't like Trump's "sometimes lies" that he likes some of his polices, and he's a
Policy guy
- that our healthcare is the greatest in the world and others wish they were us

... that is where I got off and turned to the woman and said "he is the worst example of an American... run."

also? Hiroshima... you are an amazing town.

Did you pull out your katana and defend this womans honor?

Are you one of those creeps that sits around listening to other peoples conversations word for word? Get a hobby, or some friends. Anything to keep you occupied. You sound like you need both.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes call out shitty Chinese tourists abroad...

my parents

More in-topic: I think I had to deal with American tourists only once in my life. They were unfortunately very annoying and talked to me as if I was an inferior being, but I'm not gonna generalise an entire country based on that experience.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
OP sounds like a "fixer" who thinks they know what's best for everyone else. Just respect their autonomy and let them handle things. The bar doesn't need you to help them run their business.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
You make this sound like it is an American issue like there are so issues with British people in Europe and Australians in Bali. Obnoxious travelers suck but they aren't all from the one place.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
that's what you think. in reality americans have perfect body fat percentage for hamburger meat. how do you think their burgers are so cheap? i've said too much
They go in to Maccas.....they don't come out.

You make this sound like it is an American issue like there are so issues with British people in Europe and Australians in Bali. Obnoxious travelers suck but they aren't all from the one place.

Australians who go to Bali for a holiday just confuse me. Why go to another country just to hang out with other drunk Australians? You can stay home and do that.

Last edited:

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a shitty American abroad who jaywalks. My fellow Americans, please feel free to call me out and shame me for my gaijin actions. I shall commit sudoku.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
OP is clearly the foreign saviour that Japan needs right now.

(I'm kidding but I definitely think you're getting yourself too involved with strangers)

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OP tried to save the patrons of the Japanese bar and instead exposed them to something much word...a resetera member.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
That tourists name? Albert Einstein
I saw an American tourist at a konbini in Shibuya yesterday. I told him how cool it was to see him on a date but didn't want to get into his business or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Pocari Sweats in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bottles and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bottle and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Rudest people I saw in Japan were a French couple who pushed an old japanese lady and almost knocked her over in a rush to get off a bus first.

So yeah there are assholes from everywhere. And as others have said you really can only focus on trying to be a respectful traveler yourself.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm the first one to complain about annoying Americans but pretty much all of the shitty western tourists I've seen are German and Australian

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I work at a place with a lot of tourists, and anytime I feel like "wow, these people from here are the worst", the next bunch of them are super nice and instead it's soemone else whose bad.

Truth is, 99% of tourists of all kinds and places are great and fine people. You just don't notice them because you're distracted by the few bad. And you also shouldn't generalise because that usually has nothing to do with why the person is so obnoxious (even if they are ranting about their nationality out loud).

Also most people in the thread have mocked the OP for it so I don't wanna add to the dogpile, but I will anyway: I'd probbably not interrupt a stranger, especially talking shit about them to their date, if they aren't themselves trying to cause a problem with me.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
I swear, some of y'all have never been in a fight.

How, exactly, are y'all proposing to "call out" these tourists? And what happens if said tourist tells you to go fuck yourself?

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
oh no. It was the worst.

- that whole he doesn't like Trump's "sometimes lies" that he likes some of his polices, and he's a
Policy guy

... that is where I got off and turned to the woman and said "he is the worst example of an American... run."

cringy af

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we can all agree that the shitty American tourist meme is largely a generational one; most people are generally pretty chill but entitled WASP baby boomers bring that privilege EVERYWHERE!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I mind my own business.

Thankfully the shittiest it ever got for me was an American tourist being surprised by someone from France not knowing what New Jersey is.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
After living in Japan for close to 10 years, I've run into my fair share of shitty American tourists. I've also run into really wonderful people who are happy to respect the country as a place people call home.

I call out shitty tourists who treat Japan like it's their personal playground. Why? Because Japanese people largely won't, and tourists take that as acceptance of their shitty behavior. This colors local opinion of foreigners in general, and it's a detriment to those of us that actually live here and call this place our home. Is it fair that we get painted with the same brush? Not at all, but that's the reality of the situation.

I swear, some of y'all have never been in a fight.

How, exactly, are y'all proposing to "call out" these tourists? And what happens if said tourist tells you to go fuck yourself?
Usually they don't tell you to go fuck yourself. They usually just begrudgingly stop. It helps if you live in the country, and are not a tourist yourself.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So you get to judge whether someone else's service was adequate?
So you get to judge whether he is allowed to judge if a person's service was adequate?

I actually just came back from Japan last week and the worst tourists we saw were English lads -- likely there for the rugby. Some key highlights were them doing Shoeys in the restaurant and saying they "love Japs" at the top of their lungs.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
oh no. It was the worst.

Policy guy

You are an example of what's wrong with the world today. And you're are probably a Trump cultist as well, going by the bold.