• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hm, odd that this is exclusive, but this implies Dolby Vision will have a bigger presence in games going forward, right? In that case, I guess that scratches Samsung QLED's off the list of prospective TVs for me then, lol. Dolby Vision just seems like the HDR format to have atm.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
From Dolby today:

With support for Dolby Atmos® games at launch and Dolby Vision® games coming in 2021, the Xbox Series X and Series S will be the first consoles ever to enable gaming in both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

This is exciting. Can't wait for DV in games (and continuing to use Dolby Atmos for Headphones). By the way OP is speculating. Xbox has had Dolby Atmos in games for a long while and DV for media, and it's never been billed as exclusive. DV for games is coming "first" because seemingly no one else has interest currently, or else they'd talk about it. I think Sony just wants to do their own thing with audio, and if they had interest in DV they would have enabled it for Netflix like the Xbox One (I wonder if PS5 will support DV for media?). Xbox also has DTS:X support in games, so I don't think they have some kind of special exclusive relationship with Dolby beyond both parties being interested.

Looks like Cyberpunk has Atmos. I am hopeful they add DV HDR support in 2021 along with the next gen patch. Side note, I hope they finally enable DV in the UHD player. At least if you've purchased the Dolby Access license.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
From Dolby today:

This is exciting. Can't wait for DV in games (and continuing to use Dolby Atmos for Headphones). By the way OP is speculating. Xbox has had Dolby Atmos in games for a long while and DV for media, and it's never been billed as exclusive. DV for games is coming "first" because seemingly no one else has interest currently, or else they'd talk about it. I think Sony just wants to do their own thing with audio, and if they had interest in DV they would have enabled it for Netflix like the Xbox One (I wonder if PS5 will support DV for media?). Xbox also has DTS:X support in games, so I don't think they have some kind of special exclusive relationship with Dolby beyond both parties being interested.

Looks like Cyberpunk has Atmos. I am hopeful they add DV HDR support in 2021 along with the next gen patch. Side note, I hope they finally enable DV in the UHD player. At least if you've purchased the Dolby Access license.

Oh thats awesome. I can't wait to see DV in games, i assume all MS titles will support it at least. Awesome to hear about Atmos in Cyberpunk, it really does sound incredible like in Gears 5.

I had no idea that PS4 didn't support DV, I assume it also doesn't support Atmos?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thats awesome. I can't wait to see DV in games, i assume all MS titles will support it at least. Awesome to hear about Atmos in Cyberpunk, it really does sound incredible like in Gears 5.

I had no idea that PS4 didn't support DV, I assume it also doesn't support Atmos?

I thought PS4 Pro did support Dolby Vision? I thought they made a big deal about that back when GT Sport came out or am I mixing things up?