• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So, my 2011 mix amp finally died Friday and I have just received my new mix amp.

In the box, was a two years free Dolby atmos code..

I have a few questions.

Is anybody on here using atmos with an Astro mix amp?

If so how? Do you just switch off the Dolby headphone option on the mix amp?

Is it worth using yet? Apparently there aren't many games that have it, but apparently it does improve games without an atmos mix... can anyone confirm either way?

I know that it is free and I shouldn't even be bothering with the questions...

Thanks for the replies

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, my 2011 mix amp finally died Friday and I have just received my new mix amp.

In the box, was a two years free Dolby atmos code..

I have a few questions.

Is anybody on here using atmos with an Astro mix amp?

If so how? Do you just switch off the Dolby headphone option on the mix amp?

Is it worth using yet? Apparently there aren't many games that have it, but apparently it does improve games without an atmos mix... can anyone confirm either way?

I know that it is free and I shouldn't even be bothering with the questions...

Thanks for the replies

You want the headphones to treat it as stereo.
Games by default use an object based audio setup, many audio middleware solutions are internally handling the Audio in that way and either Windows sonic or Dolby Atmos with give you the virtual surround, including vertical positioning.
So in short, most (almost all) games will support it in some form, some games will have a Dolby logo at the start, some won't but are actually functioning in Dolby Atmos for headphones and others aren't designed for it, instead are designed for an unbranded solution, but will also benefit from it.

OP
OP
Brown Intruder
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Never use both at the same time.

Thanks.

You want the headphones to treat it as stereo.
Games by default use an object based audio setup, many audio middleware solutions are internally handling the Audio in that way and either Windows sonic or Dolby Atmos with give you the virtual surround, including vertical positioning.
So in short, most (almost all) games will support it in some form, some games will have a Dolby logo at the start, some won't but are actually functioning in Dolby Atmos for headphones and others aren't designed for it, instead are designed for an unbranded solution, but will also benefit from it.

Thanks for the reply.

So in short, it is most definitely worth using?