• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Ok so I've never read anything about this game, I get there's a major plot twist, I get the ESRB rating has something to do with it. Fine.

But there's also a game mechanic that's theoretically only possible on PCs and it's impossible to translate to consoles? Is that right? Like that DS game that had you closing the screens together to stamp or something similar? That kinda of stuff?

Cause I'm about to read every damn spoiler tag in this thread and Id like to know if it will be spoiling the actual mechanic only or some major story point...

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I know people are razzing about the game design, but this has beautiful writing. The prose is flowing without the risk of sounding unnatural or crafted, and some of the poems are actually really well-written (with the worst ones coming from the one I least expected to, actually).

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Ok so I've never read anything about this game, I get there's a major plot twist, I get the ESRB rating has something to do with it. Fine.

But there's also a game mechanic that's theoretically only possible on PCs and it's impossible to translate to consoles? Is that right? Like that DS game that had you closing the screens together to stamp or something similar? That kinda of stuff?

Cause I'm about to read every damn spoiler tag in this thread and Id like to know if it will be spoiling the actual mechanic only or some major story point...

Yes.

I would advise not reading anything more if you've not played it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Correct, there's a mechanic (maybe more than one) that can't be done on consoles. I would just stopped reading there so you don't spoil yourself. It also won't make too much sense without getting the context of the story.

I'm sure they'll find a way to go around it but it won't be as impactful.

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
Is this game worth playing even if I already know
about the characters turning evil, I don't know any specifics. I just worry that there isn't much left to experience if I already know that much.
?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people saying Undertale would never work on consoles.

I haven't played this so I don't know what specifically could be different, but I'd like to think it will work on consoles because that's where I'd prefer to play it.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

The spoilers in this thread concern both, so I would advise against reading them if you're remotely interested in the game. It's also very hard to discuss the mechanic without discussing the story because they are fully intertwined.

If you really want to know the mechanic, I will spoil it in vague terms to give you an understanding of why it wouldn't work on consoles. But I will also say you should just play the game to find out. It's fairly short, and the original release is 100% free.

Part of playing the game involves using your computer's file explorer to interact with the actual files in the game's folder. Consoles don't allow that kind of direct access to game files, and thus it is impossible to replicate in quite the same way.

It's not 100% critical to the experience, but something will undoubtedly be lost in the execution of whatever workaround they use.

about the characters turning evil, I don't know any specifics. I just worry that there isn't much left to experience if I already know that much.
?

I'll just say that what you think you know isn't much of a spoiler at all. Play it.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
?

If you...

- Have any interest in literature: yes. The poems are well-written and the much more elusive hidden poems are both great worldbuilding and great writing.
- Are into horror: yes. This game can fuck you up depending on who you are. The pre-game warning should not be taken lightly.
- Like hanging out with dokis: yes... sorta? The girls are fleshed out well enough for you to be able to forge a bond with them, even if their characters do get compromised in the second half as the narrative focus turns away from them.
- Want a mindfuck: yes. This is one of the best first-run experiences I've ever had, even if a mindfuck might be all you take away from it.

The twist/s is/are a heavy thing, but it's not the thing that bears the most weight in this game IMO. It's a rush all throughout.

It's not the best game or best narrative out there, but it's thoughtfully-constructed, competently-written, and the original version is free so you can check it out before paying for Plus.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
The spoilers in this thread concern both, so I would advise against reading them if you're remotely interested in the game. It's also very hard to discuss the mechanic without discussing the story because they are fully intertwined.

If you really want to know the mechanic, I will spoil it in vague terms to give you an understanding of why it wouldn't work on consoles. But I will also say you should just play the game to find out. It's fairly short, and the original release is 100% free.

Part of playing the game involves using your computer's file explorer to interact with the actual files in the game's folder. Consoles don't allow that kind of direct access to game files, and thus it is impossible to replicate in quite the same way.

It's not 100% critical to the experience, but something will undoubtedly be lost in the execution of whatever workaround they use.

I'll just say that what you think you know isn't much of a spoiler at all. Play it.
Thanks. I get it and it was actually what I was loosely thinking about.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious what this will add. The original game is already free…

Edit: oh I'm blind it's in the OP. I'll wait and see what the side stories are I guess.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

I haven't played this so I don't know what specifically could be different, but I'd like to think it will work on consoles because that's where I'd prefer to play it.

This goes beyond what Undertale did.

And while Undertale was able to work around it, everyone agrees that the workaround was inferior to what they did on PC. It doesn't have the same impact. So imagine something more complex than that and having to somehow workaround it even though it also ties to the story.

It's hard to fully explain without spoilers lol.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i dont really like ddlc but if it gets more people even looking in visual novel's directions i guess it's cool

katawa shoujo physical edition when tho

(never the rights/content situation is too complicated)

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit in the beginning back on steam but the guy you play as is kind of annoying (didn't get that far at all) and talks really cringey. But having it on Switch is making me reconsider trying it again.

The tropey behavior of the MC is very much intentional and the interesting parts of the game wouldn't work without it. It's absolutely worth a second look.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool to see a game like this get a physical release. Unfortunately I can't really enjoy it cause I can't handle that kinda stuff but it's great for the people who do like it.

The trailer is more direct about the type of game it is though.

To be fair the solution to the parts of Undertale that wouldn't work anywhere but PCs was to just remove those parts lol.

But from what I can tell the things this game does are more involved so they'll have to find a workaround.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone even slightly interested or intrigued (or doesn't get WHY this thing has fans and an M rating) please play the free version on Steam.

I'm also sure that the Plus version will play with expectations for those that have played the steam version. And I hope maybe the dev has rolled any plans and ideas they had for their cancelled game that this was a test for into the Plus version.

GotMurked

Sep 7, 2020
So if I already know
some of the death twists and weird deleting stuff
is it still worth playing

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I had been meaning to play this for ages, so went and finally downloaded the Steam version. I'm really curious about the potential differences between PC and the console release, and I'd love to pick up a physical copy if it works well on consoles, too.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any plans to restock this? I didn't get the chance to preorder cause I was at work :(

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I immensely regret spoiling this for myself, but I just couldn't stop reading the Wiki article.

dis1.gif

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
They get their priority right having just Monika on the cover.
Rightful spot for the absolute best girl.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Not sure how they'll properly translate the game to console. Very curious about their solution

A lot of the story isn't even told inside the game. Stuff that adds to the horror because it's happening to files of the game. And like many other meta PC games, relies on you being on the PC. How did they handle this stuff in Pony Island, Undertale and Deltarune?

Also I'm surprised this is going to be a thing, especially this far out from when the internet went wild over it... Maybe this is low-key a sequel?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Really curious what this will add. The original game is already free…

Edit: oh I'm blind it's in the OP. I'll wait and see what the side stories are I guess.
Dan said on twitter that there are about how the club members became close (one for each pair of the four characters)

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An idea of how one of the mechanics will work

The trailer shows a virtual mouse cursor as an effect, so you will probably play on a virtual PC as hinted at above

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
This goes beyond what Undertale did.

And while Undertale was able to work around it, everyone agrees that the workaround was inferior to what they did on PC. It doesn't have the same impact. So imagine something more complex than that and having to somehow workaround it even though it also ties to the story.

It's hard to fully explain without spoilers lol.
Wow, I played Undertale on console, what the heck is on PC?

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
Bought the switch physical edition in a heartbeat. Also if you're in this thread and haven't played the game yet just get out now and play it! It's free and less than 5 hours to see all the endings.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I played Undertale on console, what the heck is on PC?

It affects your PC in a way that games aren't allowed to do on consoles if they want to pass cert lol.

You'll probably end up playing it in-game on a virtual PC.

That actually makes sense, and like I figured, it's going to be losing a lot of impact cause of that.

It sucks but other than rewriting everything that probably is the best workaround.