• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Tests with animals have shown that concious life is gone after 2-3 seconds because your brain stem is cut and you stop getting blood. Showing signs of life doesn't imply that there is still a person in there.

Animals aren't human and it's very hard to know EXACTLY when conscious life stops. Assuming that's the best data we have it's still an incredibly barbaric practice.

Not really, we don't expect judges to be prison guards either.

Yes because that's totally the same as ending another humans life.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Animals aren't human and it's very hard to know EXACTLY when conscious life stops. Assuming that's the best data we have it's still an incredibly barbaric practice.
I mean, except in the cases where they are very similar. We tend to use animal experimentation because the expected response is the same or similar to humans. It is unlikely that we are that different.

Yes because that's totally the same as ending another humans life.
Sentencing someone to life in prison is still a death sentence. It just takes longer. Game of Thrones' point is like Batman's I don't have to save you, completely hypocritical. Ned sure doesn't have a problem sending people to the Watch where they'll likely die within the week anyway.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I mean, except in the cases where they are very similar. We tend to use animal experimentation because the expected response is the same or similar to humans. It is unlikely that we are that different.

I understand that. Regardless even if that's correct and the person is dead within seconds the guillotine is still a barbaric practice so that gets us nowhere.

Sentencing someone to life in prison is still a death sentence. It just takes longer. Game of Thrones' point is like Batman's I don't have to save you, completely hypocritical. Ned sure doesn't have a problem sending people to the Watch where they'll likely die within the week anyway.

Taking a life isn't the same as a life sentence, if you disagree with that then i don't think there is any point responding to my posts any further. Also i was more talking about the idea that someone has to be responsible for ending a persons life and that is often overlooked when discussing the death penalty.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that. Regardless even if that's correct and the person is dead within seconds the guillotine is still a barbaric practice so that gets us nowhere.
It is only barbaric in that the death penalty is. Injecting someone so they are slowly dying while paralyzed looks nicer, but is certainly more barbaric. Electrocution and firing squad are also more error prone, and thus more barbaric. It is the most efficient and quickest death.

Taking a life isn't the same as a life sentence, if you disagree with that then i don't think there is any point responding to my posts any further. Also i was more talking about the idea that someone has to be responsible for ending a persons life and that is often overlooked when discussing the death penalty.
If it is about the impact on the person executing, that is why most systems like firing squads are counting on nobody knowing who killed. Firing squad are like 4 blanks and 1 live bullet.

Brandon Bernard executed
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.cnn.com

Brandon Bernard executed after Supreme Court denies request for a delay

Brandon Bernard was executed by the federal government on Thursday at the Federal Correctional Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, according to the Bureau of Prisons.

Brandon Bernard was executed by the federal government on Thursday at the Federal Correctional Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, according to the Bureau of Prisons.

Bernard, 40, was one of five gang members convicted in Texas of killing Stacie and Todd Bagley -- who were youth ministers -- in 1999. The gunman, Christopher Vialva, was executed in September, while the other co-defendants were given lesser sentences.

Bernard was pronounced dead at 9:27 p.m. He was the youngest person in the United States to receive a death sentence in nearly 70 years for a crime committed when he was an adolescent.

"I'm sorry ... I wish I could take it all back, but I can't," Bernard said to the family of the Bagleys during his three-minute last words. "That's the only words that I can say that completely capture how I feel now and how I felt that day."

The Bagley family thanked Trump and the federal government for carrying out the sentence in their statements.

The five inmates scheduled to die are all housed at the Indiana federal prison. Alfred Bourgeois is the next inmate scheduled to be executed on Friday. Bourgeois was sentenced to death for the torture and murder of his 2-year-old daughter.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Barr and Trump rot in hell. Bernard didn't pull the trigger and he spent every day trying to atone, teaching people to not do the actions he did. Such a waste of life for nothing.

higgy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the case of the woman on death row. She murdered the pregnant woman and cut the 8 month old out of her womb. Her mother who found her thought her stomach had exploded.

I'm personally conflicted. People and cases like these where there is no doubt I don't have a problem with. If someone murdered my wife and cut my daughter out of her I'd want them dead.

But.... a case Like the West Memphis 3 shows you how close an innocent person can come to being murdered by the state. One thing I know for sure is I don't want Trump or Barr deciding how the US government uses executions.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.

Can you give it to them?

Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.

Be more Gandalf. It does not matter what someone has done, how terrible, how inconceivable, how unlikely they are to reform or to repent...state sponsored murder is, was, and forever shall be wrong in all circumstances. If what it takes to protect society from them, and them from society is lifelong imprisonment...then so be it, and preferably in as humane a way as possible.

We are not the monsters. We should not act like them.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Bernard absolutely did not deserve to be killed (I'd argue he didn't deserve to be in jail anymore), but of course we know "good behaviour" and "rehabilitation" is for white people. Compare and contrast the next prisoner to be executed, a white man that... you know, I don't even want to write about it.

I remember the case of the woman on death row. She murdered the pregnant woman and cut the 8 month old out of her womb. Her mother who found her thought her stomach had exploded.

I'm personally conflicted. People and cases like these where there is no doubt I don't have a problem with. If someone murdered my wife and cut my daughter out of her I'd want them dead.

I mean, who wouldn't? But the entire point of "justice" is that it shold be rational, and for that, the victim should not decide the punishment. Check the woman's wikipedia page (or my post about it); it gives some context that may make one see things in a different light.

Alfred Bourgeois executed
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

U.S. executes second federal inmate in as many days

The execution of Alfred Bourgeois, 56, followed the death of Brandon Bernard, 40. Three more federal executions are scheduled for January, including the first woman in 70 years.

A Louisiana man on death row for more than 15 years for the abuse and murder of his young daughter was executed Friday evening, the second death penalty case in as many days to be carried out by the federal government.

Alfred Bourgeois, 56, was executed by lethal injection. He was pronounced at 8:21 p.m., according to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

His final words were defiant and unapologetic.

"I ask God to forgive all those who plotted and schemed against me, and planted false evidence," Bourgeois said. "I did not commit this crime."

The Trump administration's return to the use of the federal death penalty has included executing the only Native American on death row, against his tribe's wishes, and the planned execution next month of the first female inmate in almost seven decades. President-elect Joe Biden has said he will put a moratorium on the death penalty.

The recent executions have also drawn protests calling out the systemic racial bias surrounding capital punishment and highlighting how four of the five most recent scheduled executions, including that of Bernard and Bourgeois, involve Black men.