• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
From what I hear, it's pretty bad. If you happen to have an OG Xbox there's at least the Xbox version for Silent Hill 2 and 4 at least. Played them a few years back and had a great experience with them. I believe those are considerably cheaper than the PS2 versions. I'd say even play those over the HD collection. Not near as many compromises from the PS2 version as the HD collection.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I played through the HD collection on Xbox 360 a couple years back when I was doing a full series replay. (I had previously played 2 and 3 on PC.) Yes, they have some obvious flaws, but they're still totally playable and a reasonable approximation of the original experience.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I believe the Japanese versions have English text/audio. You could import and emulate if those are cheaper (I got them in Japan for like a couple hundred yen each a few years back).

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
I would advocate, like everybody else, either finding a way to play on the original console (PS2), or playing the PC ports of 2 and 3, over playing the HD Collection. I would consider the HD Collection to be the very, very last option to play the games, because they do such a disservice to the work that went into these in the first place.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
People mentioning a PC version of SH2 made me go check Steam on a whim. Only Silent Hill on there is freakin Homecoming for $40! DAMN!

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The HD version of Silent Hill 3 doesn't even have the option to use the original voice track. Not worth it.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The HD collection does miss some details and has technical issues that may sour the experience for new comers but specially for people who experienced the original games on PS2, such as myself. Look it as feedback from purists.

BUT it is perfectly serviceable if you want to experience or re-experience the games for cheap or for accessibility. Just keep in mind the technical shortcomings and that you are getting a worse experience than the original ones. Also SH3 has the original voices missing, but in all honesty i don't think this is a biggie.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
If you can play it on PS2 or OG Xbox. The HD collection is tolerable I guess, and I'm putting that kindly, but yeah if you can play them on the older consoles that is the ideal way.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Some people would say that Silent Hill 2 PC is abandonware and can be easily found but you know, I wouldn't trust such dubious voices. They're probably from Silent Hill itself, summoning ye.

D77Q8ZBWsAUpUV6.jpg

I was actually considering the same as OP quite recently tbh, and this post absolutely killed that idea. Damn!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is really the biggest problem with SH2 HD - the fog. The fog is part of that game's identity and was a huge technological feat when the game released ("volumetric fog!" the previews and reviews exclaimed - and they were right, there wasn't much else like it at the time). I bought the SH HD collection on day one and noped out as soon as I saw how poorly done that element was.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Seconding what others have said; the HD collection isn't the way to play it, unfortunately. The new voice acting, from what I've heard, is less janky than the originals, but that's about it--even after one platform got a patch, the textures were still wonky and there were odd glitches. Konami really screwed over the devs with this and clearly didn't care much about the release. If you're curious about what happened, this two-part video goes a bit into why the HD Collection was so messy:

The second video's first 14 minutes, specifically, go into why the game has so many technical issues (the rest mentions behind-the-scenes drama and overall fandom issues, though the first video does touch on why there's different voice acting).

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
The HD collection is a disaster, search some videos explaining its problems (the DF one is a good option). SH 2 and 3 are some of the best horror games ever made, don't waste your experience playing a shitty version.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Honestly, I would sooner recommend people skip 2 & 3 instead of playing the HD collection.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Some really useless advice in here...

The HD versions aren't great but there isn't a realistic alternative for someone that isn't a series superfan

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My first time through SH3 was via the Xbox 360 HD Collection. It crashed a few times, causing me to lose progress. There's also a horrible audio bug if using certain weapons like the machine gun.

But if you're willing to deal with those issues, you're aware it's not the best experience, it's your only affordable option, and you REALLY wanna play these games, just go for it. The story is still all there, even if the presentation isn't.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Although looking on ebay I'm seeing both of them for about £25 for the PS2 versions

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox version of SH2 seems pretty reasonable, judging by eBay sold listings.

But why is PS2 Shattered Memories so freaking expensive?!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Xbox version of SH2 seems pretty reasonable, judging by eBay sold listings.

But why is PS2 Shattered Memories so freaking expensive?!

Because nobody bought it. It's apparently rare. That was a Wii title that got ported to PS2. People just bought the Wii version, it was better.

THAT BEING SAID

Maybe I'm late to the party noticing this, but after this Silent Hill thread and the "what's the most valuable game you own" thread, I'm surprised to find that a lot of PS2 titles I didn't think were that uncommon are going for quite a bit.

looking at the dusty stack of PS2 games I haven't touched in a couple of gens, this is the CIB prices for the following from Pricecharting. New tends to be just shy of double:

SMT: Devil Summoner 2 (Raiho edition): $166.42
.hack Quarantine: $261.65
Persona 3 [FES Limited Edition]: $198.79
SMT: Devil Summoner Raidou vs. The Soulless Army: $125
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: $199.91(!)
Suikoden 5: $123.75
Silent Hill 3: $115.22
Silent Hill 2 (Greatest Hits): $85.63
Silent Hill Origins: $80.00
Eternal Poison: $99.99 (edit: the Eternal Poison copy I have may very well be new. I bought that and have never bothered to open/play it).

Origins going for that much is LOLworthy. That game was a PSP port and looks the part in every way.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Greatest Hits SH2 supposedly have more content than the original release, or am I mistaken?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The PS3 version was at least patched to fix some of the issues that the collection had, not everything mind, but some of the biggest glaring issues.
The 360 version was left in the dirt with zero patches.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they could have patched all the common complaints you see (the missing fog effects, comic sans sign, etc.) and I'd still have a hard time recommending a version that doesn't have Mary's original voice actress.

Maybe someday Konami will release SH2 on GOG and you'll be able to patch an official release with the Enhanced Edition mod.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Greatest Hits SH2 supposedly have more content than the original release, or am I mistaken?

Close. The Greatest Hits version of SH2 (and I think the Xbox version normally?) has a mini scenario that shows how Maria got up to meeting James. It's been included with every version of the game other than the original PS2 release, as far as I know.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How's the PC version of SH4 anyway? I believe it ran cutscenes at 15 FPS, is that still the case?
They fixed that with the GOG release. Cutscenes now run at the original framerate. It also restored the post-processing effects and has widescreen and controller support, neither of which the original PC version of 4 had. It's still missing several of the hauntings and the real-time shadow effect is still messed up, but now it's probably the best official way to play 4 outside of the original ps2 disc.