• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So after skipping out on the Silent Hill series for a long time due to having a negative opinion on the survival horror genre (I've always been more of a Resident Evil guy, sorry), I decided to finally pick up and play the PS1 original of Silent Hill and really enjoyed my time with it. I've always heard that the real gems of the series, however, are the PS2 titles - something not lost on the rest of the gaming world, as all three games go for exorbitant prices on the secondary market, reaching $90-$100. Of course, there is another option, the much-maligned Silent Hill HD Collection, which contains Silent Hill 2 and 3, but based on earlier code that led to a buggy, glitchy experience. However, I know the PS3 version has received its fair share of patches that have made it a better experience, which is absolutely the one I would purchase, and it goes for around $20-$25 right now. I know I won't be getting the full experience that I would playing the original games on original hardware, but for someone who has never played them and has no nostalgia for the original games, is the HD Collection at least a viable option?

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
If you have a PC, there's a fan modded PC Version of Silent Hill 2 that is arguably the best version of the game.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I don't think so, no. Even with the marginal improvements to the ps3 version, it's just not the same experience. If you truly have no other way then you do what you have to but...wouldn't recommend. I know that there's a fan made "enhanced edition" of sorts for the sh2 pc version, and I would certainly go with that before the HD collection if possible; I have both and I definitely had a better experience with the fan patch

Oct 27, 2017
It's trash, but given that it's so much cheaper than any of the actually good versions over there (I guess you're in the US), I'd say it's arguably better than never having experienced SH2 and 3 at all.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just popping in to say I'm incredibly jealous that you get to experience Silent Hill 2 for the first time. That game has a special place in my heart

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll just say this...

... If you have absolutely, zero other ways to play them, then they will work.

But PLEASE look for every single alternative before doing the HD Collection. PLEASE.

I always hate it when someone's first exposure to these masterpieces is that port.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
They are really that much now? I feel like I just got the PS2 versions not too long ago (2 years ago?) for decent prices ($20-$30)

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They are really that much now? I feel like I just got the PS2 versions not too long ago (2 years ago?) for decent prices ($20-$30)

In the US? I...kind of doubt that is the case. While they have spiked in value over the last year, I really don't feel like they've been below like $40-50ish for quite some time. But you may have found a good deal, though

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the only option you have, then yes. To my knowledge, I don't think there are any game breaking bugs or anything, most of the issues stem from the presentation.

It is imperative however, that you go into it with the understanding that these are inferior ports of the games and not how they were intended to be experienced. If you have an Xbox One or Series S | X then the HD collection is frequently on sale for like $8.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
For SH2 it's super easy to get the Enhanced Edition up and running on PC. It's definitely the best version you can play short of playing the original disc on a CRT.

Mar 31, 2018
I don't think it is worth playing the HD collection and I would even go as far to just ignore the games until you find other ways to play them.

It sounds like insane hyperbole but they really have messed up both of them. It's not just glitches, it's also changes, even tiny things in dialogue or how they present dialogue.

I played through them for shits and giggles and by no means they represent the originals in a good way. Fun enough for a replay because it's fun to see it but as a newcomer you really do lose out on things and don't get the proper experience.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
Emulate both of them
This. I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for games when the OG versions aren't even in print. If you wanna throw em cash then buy the HD versions, otherwise I emulate everything.

Same for Paper Mario TTYD. Until Nintendo gives me a way to play that in HD properly I'm not paying resale on a game that's so easily emulatable.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's technically playable but I wouldn't really bother playing them this way unless it's out of morbid curiosity. It's hard to overstate just how much of the experience feels compromised. Best to wait until you can snag the PS2 copies for the proper experience.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This. I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for games when the OG versions aren't even in print. If you wanna throw em cash then buy the HD versions, otherwise I emulate everything.

Same for Paper Mario TTYD. Until Nintendo gives me a way to play that in HD properly I'm not paying resale on a game that's so easily emulatable.

While I'm not against emulation in practice, I'd at least like to do it on a proper games console. I've done some modding on my Vita, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U - what's the viable methods for PS2 and PS3? (I know that the Super Slim, which I have, is basically impossible to mod last I heard)

(and we should probably take this to PMs)

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
But isn't the physical extremely expensive and not available on digital storefronts?
That's correct and for that reason I recommend "obtaining" a copy through other means since Konami won't provide a valid way to purchase it digitally. No sense in supporting the ridiculous and inflated second-hand market. They did put Silent Hill 4 on GOG so maybe that'll change soon.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
That's correct and for that reason I recommend "obtaining" it through other means since Konami won't provide a valid way to purchase it digitally. No sense in supporting the ridiculous and inflated second-hand market. They did put Silent Hill 4 on GOG so maybe that'll change soon.
While I get the sentiment, well, that sounds like advocating...you know what, and how it ends...

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
In the US? I...kind of doubt that is the case. While they have spiked in value over the last year, I really don't feel like they've been below like $40-50ish for quite some time. But you may have found a good deal, though
Complete w/box, 2, 3, and 4 are all around 80-100.

Ok I was able to dig up my old ebay confirmations and it was mid 2017 and I got Silent Hill 2 for $18 and Silent Hill 3 for $22. Used but complete in box.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
They are not viable. The PC versions are fantastic though, especially with the Enhanced Edition patches for 2.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people would say that Silent Hill 2 PC is abandonware and can be easily found but you know, I wouldn't trust such dubious voices. They're probably from Silent Hill itself, summoning ye.

D77Q8ZBWsAUpUV6.jpg

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I can say from recent experience that the SH2 HD re-release is adequate, but be prepared to run into some strange audio mix issues. Yes, it's got various (some hilarious) problems compared to the originals, but it gets the job done if you want to play it on contemporary hardware.