• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've talked to the vet multiple times and they've recommended three kinds of grain-free food [Blue Buffalo, Oxbow, and another I forget] but no luck. My dog's got hives pretty much no matter what almost 100% of the time, and I'm not sure what else to do.

Anyone know any good options for dog food that are sure to have no grain or grain by-product?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Was the dog's allergy test a wide spectrum one? I know I got one done online where you send some hairs in and they test your DNA against something like 300 things, there could be other things in the food. So I'm wondering If a similar service is available for pets?

I mean do you have a local butcher? I'm thinking offal might be the way to go instead of tinned food, and they may give you a good deal on cheap cuts you can feed. The vet may provide advice on preparing meat if necessary.

Just throwing ideas at a wall and seeing what sticks here.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the dog's allergy test a wide spectrum one? I know I got one done online where you send some hairs in and they test your DNA against something like 300 things, there could be other things in the food. So I'm wondering If a similar service is available for pets?

I mean do you have a local butcher? I'm thinking offal might be the way to go instead of tinned food, and they may give you a good deal on cheap cuts you can feed. The vet may provide advice on preparing meat if necessary.

Just throwing ideas at a wall and seeing what sticks here.

They wanted like $450 for a wide spectrum test, which I just don't have right now. My budget's getting better, but I can only do so much. I'm also trying to consider environmental factors, changing the soap I bathe him with, washing all his linens/bedding etc, but unfortunately I'm also wondering if it's an issue with the very grass outside my apartment, which is kind of unavoidable.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Did you try that raw food ? That's what my sister uses . It's in fridge in pet foods .
There's probably recipes online too

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They wanted like $450 for a wide spectrum test, which I just don't have right now. My budget's getting better, but I can only do so much. I'm also trying to consider environmental factors, changing the soap I bathe him with, washing all his linens/bedding etc, but unfortunately I'm also wondering if it's an issue with the very grass outside my apartment, which is kind of unavoidable.

I guess if it's unavoidable than antihistamines could be the only option? With food the only thing you can do is make food from scratch so you know what's in there, obviously get proper advice on vitamin balances etc. But at least you'll 100% know what is going into their diet, which means you can do an exclusion test easier. Again I'm just throwing ideas around rather than making it advice.

AppleBanana

Oct 31, 2017
We had our dog on some hydralized protein food from Royal canine. The best advice we received was to cycle through 1 protein ingredient at a time to figure out which is causing the issue. With our dog it turned out to be chicken.

Once we figured that out we switched back to regular kibble. Stella & Chewy's brand is great!

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had our dog on some hydralized protein food from Royal canine. The best advice we received was to cycle through 1 protein ingredient at a time to figure out which is causing the issue. With our dog it turned out to be chicken.

Yeah I know for sure mine is allergic to chicken stock and finding food that has none of that or grain in it is difficult.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buttzerker here you are again taking care of another disadvantaged furry friend. You're a good guy. I hope you figure it out.

ps pics please

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buttzerker here you are again taking care of another disadvantaged furry friend. You're a good guy. I hope you figure it out.

ps pics please

Haha sure. He's not new or anything, had this boy for about eight years now.

20190125_010418.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Raw diet. Cats had similar issues plus bloody stool and vomit constantly. Switching to a raw diet fixed it all. We tried all kinds of high end kibble, vet visits, etc.
Best decision i have made .
We order our meat from hare-today, they offer great quality.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If you can handle it, stop bathing him for awhile. In my experience, this is often the issue. You may see the hives go away completely.

OP
OP
Buttzerker

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can handle it, stop bathing him for awhile. In my experience, this is often the issue. You may see the hives go away completely.

I actually don't mind his smell and all but bathing him is the only thing that keeps the hives down. He gets way worse if I do not