• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
So is this the thread where people come to brag how okay they are with killing animals? Sure seems like it.

I'll be sure to mentally name every single explosive arrow I can craft with a very stupid dog name cuz obviously they'll be for these fuckers trained to plain murder people. "HERE REX WHO'S A GOOD BOY NOW"

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
the reason why people are talking about it is because ND are choosing themselves to make it a focal point. They specifically talked about how dogs will whimper, act confused, injure, whtaever. How their masters will get upset if you hurt their dog, stuff like that.

There is hardly any remorse to feel when you kill a random rabid dog in a game where they have zero behaviour programmed aside from attacking the player.

people boasting how theyll just kill all the dogs and have no feelings about them because they are just a bunch of digital pixels are free to think this, but ND clearly wants the player to have a reaction about it.

but the same stuff is being added to the human enemies.. they all have names, they react to a colleagues death etc.. it is not different.. so why should the dog killings "hurt" you more?

(But somehow I get this.. every time I read "American Psycho" (read it 4-5 times at least), I remember that one scene where he kills a dog in front of his owner. It is very violently and disturbingly described, but so is every other gruesome murder in that book.. it´s so strange that the one dog killing stands out in a book about violent murders.. )

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Heh, some people have really strong reactions to my post about not wanting to kill dogs. "You think you're better than others?" or "Can't believe you'd rather kill humans than dogs" etc. I just don't want to kill dogs, why are people getting so hostile about it? And yep, it's cool that the game allows us to avoid that.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Heh, some people have really strong reactions to my post about not wanting to kill dogs. "You think you're better than others?" or "Can't believe you'd rather kill humans than dogs" etc. I just don't want to kill dogs, why are people getting so hostile about it? And yep, it's cool that the game allows us to avoid that.

It's more the other way around. People that feel bad about it are being hostile towards people reacting on them, saying they don't mind killing dogs.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Lol.

Next, we will have a thread for the walking and running feature

We had a thread about meaningless names and now a thread about a mechanic that existed for ages.

Every time ND releases a game the community behaves if nothing came before

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Lol.

We had a thread about meaningless names and now a thread about a mechanic that existed for ages.

In what games do actions and tension affect the breathing patterns of NPC's and main protagonist?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Lol.

lol

what is with these kinds of comments in threads. reading through the majority of the thread, "the community" has not at all said or behaved the way you are saying.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
User warned: thread whining
lol

what is with these kinds of comments in threads. reading through the majority of the thread, "the community" has not at all said or behaved the way you are saying.
Except opening a bloody thread for it.

Because we need a thread if a game has breathing patterns and fatigue patterns. unheard of.

Not only that, but a thread with almost 10 pages

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Except opening a bloody thread for it.

Because we need a thread if a game has breathing patterns and fatigue patterns. unheard of.

Not only that, but a thread with almost 10 pages

Maybe you should take that up with Polygon writing an article about it? or maybe even read the OP/article on how it goes deeper than before or differentiates in previous games...instead of blaming "the community"?

edit: you should read the thread too while you are at it because the 10 pages are filled with a different discussion than you are generalizing

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have make her sweat after running, so she can be sniffed out my dogs from grater distances while they are at it.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Maybe you should take that up with Polygon writing an article about it? or maybe even read the OP/article on how it goes deeper than before or differentiates in previous games...instead of blaming "the community"?
I am taking it up with them as well. Community is not just us.

For what? You literally described every breathing mechanic, fatigue mechanic. fatigue animation, breathing animation keyed to certain situations etc.

How would you describe Ripley's breathing pattern in Alien then? Or the countless different breathing patterns modern games have actors do?

Cam the fuck on. I am sure it can be more refined in TLOU2, but for now, it's literally a fancy way to describe something we already have in the mainstream.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone don't want to kill dogs in the game, could they just kill the owners?

The dog would get distracted (and sad) because the owner's dead, maybe they now won't hunt you anymore?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

For what? You literally described every breathing mechanic, fatigue mechanic. fatigue animation, breathing animation keyed to certain situations etc.

How would you describe Ripley's breathing pattern in Alien then? Or the countless different breathing patterns modern games have actors do?

Cam the fuck on. I am sure it can be more refined in TLOU2, but for now, it's literally a fancy way to describe something we already have in the mainstream.

lol okay

you can atleast admit you didn't read the very thing you are complaining and ranting about because the article addresses that this is not a new thing.

edit: alright back on topic
i'm curious if this stuff is actually going to play into listen mode.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
lol okay

you can atleast admit you didn't read the very thing you are complaining and ranting about because the article addresses that this is not a new thing.
explain to me how this

" "What's happening behind the scenes is that [Ellie] has a heart rate that is oscillating up and down," Newman said. "It goes up when you sprint, it goes up when you melee, it goes up when you take damage, and goes up into the presence of enemies. And that modulates the bucket of breathing sounds that she's able to use. "

It's not a fancy way to described breathing patterns scripted to and tied to animations and actions.

I read OP, but I read through the embellishment of characters that simply breath differently if stressed or fatigued. Welcome to 2010.

But anyway, I already got my warning for thread whining, carry on buy getting excited for plane stuff without me.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

You're thread whining. Press the ignore button and move on to threads that actually do have your interest.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hope they have wolves, infected or not.

46041542484_2be27d2b99_o.png

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
That's pretty cool attention to detail! I do worry the dogs will be frustrating to deal with, like in most games. But hopefully they're slow trackers, and not homing missiles.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Not really, but a little pushback on the fake controversy of 'oh no I have to kill puppers' is pretty welcome i'd say.

Dogs have been bog standard enemies in games since the dawn of the medium. They are vicious and coming to rip out your throat. I feel zero remorse to kill these virtual animals as I have done in Wolfenstein, Call of Duty and likely hundreds of games before it.
It's kind of a testament to ND's quality that people suddenly take issue now, but part of it is just people repeating what other people are saying online so it becomes a 'thing' while it really isn't.

What controversy are you talking about? I haven't noticed anyone calling out ND for adding dog enemies to the game, because, as you said, it's pretty standard. Some users said they weren't personally looking forward to having to kill dogs, which is fair, no pushback is needed unless you want to be an asshole and show off how edgy you are.
I'm not baffled by people saying they're going to kill everything, because okay, we all approach games differently. That's fair.
But the people coming to say they're going to kill all the dogs specifically, well, I find that a little strange.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What controversy are you talking about? I haven't noticed anyone calling out ND for adding dog enemies to the game, because, as you said, it's pretty standard. Some users said they weren't personally looking forward to having to kill dogs, which is fair, no pushback is needed unless you want to be an asshole and show off how edgy you are.
I'm not baffled by people saying they're going to kill everything, because okay, we all approach games differently. That's fair.
But the people coming to say they're going to kill all the dogs specifically, well, I find that a little strange.

I'm gonna kill all enemies in every location, so I can look around quietly and loot every house and room without having to worry about enemies attacking me. And enemies also drop loot themselves, so there's an extra reward to it. If you find that strange, then I don't know what to say.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Murder Simulator 2020 is shaping up nicely then. Sniper Elite take notes!

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm gonna kill all enemies in every location, so I can look around quietly and loot every house and room without having to worry about enemies attacking me. And enemies also drop loot themselves, so there's an extra reward to it. If you find that strange, then I don't know what to say.

No, I don't find that strange. You do you.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
No, I don't find that strange. You do you.

You're literally saying you find that strange. You are actually assuming people are mentioning dogs specifically because they're some kind of psychotic dog haters or something. That is in fact strange. People are mentioning dogs specifically, because others are mentioning dogs specifically when it comes to being bothered killing them. People saying they're gonna kill all dogs, are most likely also going to kill all humans. I'm more worried about people only having problems with enemy animals and not enemy humans.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You're literally saying you find that strange. You are actually assuming people are mentioning dogs specifically because they're some kind of psychotic dog haters or something. That is in fact strange. People are mentioning dogs specifically, because others are mentioning dogs specifically when it comes to being bothered killing them. People saying they're gonna kill all dogs, are most likely also going to kill all humans. I'm more worried about people only having problems with enemy animals and not enemy humans.

I'm literally saying I don't find "I'm going to kill everything" posts strange, scroll up.
As for people mentioning dogs specifically because others mentioned killing dogs, specifically, makes them feel uncomfortable - now why would you do that except to be an asshole? Take a step back from the keyboard and think about your life choices.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mentioned it in a previous post but Harry Mason from Silent Hill on the PS1 would react to how much you make him run.

He breathing becomes shallow and more rapid the longer you make him run. He also physically moves his shoulders and head as he pants and if you don't allow him to take a break he just stops running until he catches his breath. So I suppose we can say Harry too, has a heartbeat.

I also recall another game having heavy breathing mechanics to indicate when enemies are closer, it might have been Penumbra on Steam. I guess that character too, has a heartbeat.

Those would be actions and tension affecting the breathing patterns of NPC's and main protagonist

Edit: Isaac from Dead Space too. I recall hearing rapid panting after fighting.

I would not watch the whole video (go to 04:10) but towards the end Isaac fights two enemies while in space and you can hear his breathing become more pronounced. You can even hear his heartbeat speed up as he gets hit.

That's an amazing detail. Because you're in space, the only sounds you can hear are what's going on in the players suit and the sound design was sure to make it interesting.

If I recall correctly it would get louder the closer you're to death which alerts the gamer to use a medkit if they couldn't see the spinal health indicator.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm literally saying I don't find "I'm going to kill everything" posts strange, scroll up.
As for people mentioning dogs specifically because others mentioned killing dogs, specifically, makes them feel uncomfortable - now why would you do that except to be an asshole? Take a step back from the keyboard and think about your life choices.

So people are assholes for thinking different about stuff and posting that? If you like something and I say I don't like it, I'm an asshole? You should take a big step back from the internet and start practicing not being offended by everything, jeez.

I mentioned it in a previous post but Harry Mason from Silent Hill on the PS1 would react to how much you make him run.

He breathing becomes shallow and more rapid the longer you make him run. He also physically moves his shoulders and head as he pants and if you don't allow him to take a break he just stops running until he catches his breath. So I suppose we can say Harry too, has a heartbeat.

I also recall another game having heavy breathing mechanics to indicate when enemies are closer, it might have been Penumbra on Steam. I guess that character too, has a heartbeat.

Those would be actions and tension affecting the breathing patterns of NPC's and main protagonist

Edit: Isaac from Dead Space too. I recall hearing rapid panting after fighting.

I would not watch the whole video (go to 04:10) but towards the end Isaac fights two enemies while in space and you can hear his breathing become more pronounced. You can even hear his heartbeat speed up as he gets hit.

That's an amazing detail. Because you're in space, the only sounds you can hear are what's going on in the players suit and the sound design was sure to make it interesting.

If I recall correctly it would get louder the closer you're to death which alerts the gamer to use a medkit if they couldn't see the spinal health indicator.

Thanks, I haven't played these games.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So people are assholes for thinking different about stuff and posting that? If you like something and I say I don't like it, I'm an asshole? You should take a big step back from the internet and start practicing not being offended by everything, jeez.

Thanks, I haven't played these games.

You never played Dead Space? Are you into horror games? Because if so the original is an amazing game well worth trying if you enjoy that genre. Sadly the franchise's decline is a good example of how large publishers ruined their games with microtransactions but that's a story for another time.

While I personally wouldn't call the Last of Us a horror game, I feel that attention to atmosphere it has and the small mannerisms from characters was a natural development from the original Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Dead Space games.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You never played Dead Space? Are you into horror games? Because if so the original is an amazing game well worth trying if you enjoy that genre. Sadly the franchise's decline is a good example of how large publishers ruined their games with microtransactions but that's a story for another time.

While I personally wouldn't call the Last of Us a horror game, I feel that attention to atmosphere was a natural development from the original Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Dead Space games

Correct. I stepped in fairly late when I purchased a PS3. Also not specifically into horror games, except when it's an experience like RE7 in VR.

Oct 25, 2017
but the same stuff is being added to the human enemies.. they all have names, they react to a colleagues death etc.. it is not different.. so why should the dog killings "hurt" you more?

(But somehow I get this.. every time I read "American Psycho" (read it 4-5 times at least), I remember that one scene where he kills a dog in front of his owner. It is very violently and disturbingly described, but so is every other gruesome murder in that book.. it´s so strange that the one dog killing stands out in a book about violent murders.. )

Because the attempt to humanize enemies in this game is rare when taken in context of the entire gaming landscape.

People can't react to that the same as killing dogs because they haven't experienced that contextualized killing yet. Gamers kill hundreds and thousands of humans in gaming, because that's the crutch by which gameplay is driven in the vast majority of titles. Gamers do not kill hundreds and thousands of dogs. So the idea of killing dogs is immediately more uncomfortable (something gamers rarely do) vs the idea of killing humans (something gamers do, probably, every single day in games).

There'd be a point of dog slaughter was commonplace in games like the slaughter of humans is. But it isn't.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I think this is a big problem of violence normalization, but tbh I can't understand at all this mindset. Of course killing a dog is not something I'd enjoy, but I think that killing another person would be as bad or even worse. Applied to videogames I feel the same, when playing BB I never felt worse when killing the dogs/wolfs etc... compared killing the hat-wearing mobs.

Haha, well, it probably has something to do with the fact that I love dogs and prefer them over most people most of the time outside of video games. I don't think it's all that unheard of or strange to be more bothered by violence against animals than humans, though, at least in a media context -- the (super popular) John Wick films are basically the poster children for this. Hundreds and hundreds of people die in myriad gruesome ways in those movies but obviously you're rooting for John because, well, those people work for the guy who killed his dog, so of course they have it coming. Hell, I think a lot of people would tell you the scene in John Wick 3 where one of Halle Berry's dogs gets shot -- non-fatally -- is harder to watch than any of the wanton violence occurring throughout the rest of the film. :P

That's just how it is with me, haha. I didn't take any pleasure in killing the human enemies in the demo either, mind you, but killing the dogs just bothered me a lot more. Not saying you shouldn't be able to or anything like that, though, as it's perfectly and brutally realistic, which is what TLoU is all about.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

It's not really that strange unfortunately, and it's obviously not just an issue with games/movies/books - it's a real life issue.

Most people here/in the West are detached from the uttermost of human suffering, which is what enables them to empathise more easily with animal suffering.