• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I swear many years ago I saw what looked like a shmup but instead of the hero you controlled the villains. I dont remember the specifics of how such a game would work or even if it was real (could of just been some random idea or something). I just thought the idea was cool.
As in, playing as giant ships on the top of the screen? There's a couple of shmups (for my limited knowledge of the genre) that allow that. I can only remember Rival Megagun atm though:

Geometry Wars also had a multiplayer mode where one player played as the ship and the other would play as a "game master" of sorts, spawning enemies.

A shlooter on the Switch?
Warframe?

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017
Android game similar to PS2's "ATV Offroad: All Terrain Vehicle"? With the open world and free ride in particular. And not one of the hundreds horrible Unity template ones.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a mecha game that actually feels like you're a Gundam pilot?

Like, first person, in a cockpit of a real robot style mech. The controls are arcadey like D.Va from Overwatch, and not simulation-lite and tankish? Where the combat is 100% mechs, and you can do ground, space, and air combat all in the same mech?

The answer is no, because the games industry is cowards

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a 2D action game where when you pause it freezes time and gives you tactical options

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I totally do.

I still haven't found it and pretty sure it doesn't exist.

But you played as a kid who got home to find his whole family missing. You then played through these 2d platform levels that looked like they were inspired by Tim Burton . Pretty sure you selected a level on a giant bed or something. Like I said I'm pretty sure the game does not exist but I have these like almost vivid memories of it but nothing of the name of the game.

I've asked about it before but no one has been able to find it.
You are talking about Nightmare Ned.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm into Roguelikes (ACTUAL Roguelikes, not Roguelites) that don't just take place inside a single dungeon. Ones that offer a world to explore with side quests and maybe even a story to uncover. So far that only ones that I know of are Elona, which isn't even in official Dev anymore, and T.O.M.E

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
Great idea, OP!

Is there a good oldskool RTS ala Command&Conquer, Starcraft on Android??

I totally do.

I still haven't found it and pretty sure it doesn't exist.

But you played as a kid who got home to find his whole family missing. You then played through these 2d platform levels that looked like they were inspired by Tim Burton . Pretty sure you selected a level on a giant bed or something. Like I said I'm pretty sure the game does not exist but I have these like almost vivid memories of it but nothing of the name of the game.

I've asked about it before but no one has been able to find it.

40 Winks on the PS1? Although, it is a 3d platformer, not 2d..

Oct 25, 2017

Like, first person, in a cockpit of a real robot style mech. The controls are arcadey like D.Va from Overwatch, and not simulation-lite and tankish? Where the combat is 100% mechs, and you can do ground, space, and air combat all in the same mech?

Gundam Senjo no Kizuna? =P
And if you see janky controls as tankish, Gundam Assault Survive? =P

Is there a 2D action game where when you pause it freezes time and gives you tactical options
Not exactly what you are asking for but
store.steampowered.com

RONIN on Steam

Ronin is stylish a turn-based action platformer following the exploits of a vengeful heroine determined to strike down five prominent figures of a powerful corporation.
store.steampowered.com

Touhou Luna Nights on Steam

Touhou Luna Nights is a Metroidvania title with a heavy emphasis on exploration and action.  Developed by Team Ladybug, creators of multiple fantastic action games thus far.
store.steampowered.com

Timespinner on Steam

Travel back in time to change fate itself, in this beautifully crafted story-driven adventure, inspired by classic 90s action-platformers. Join timekeeper Lunais on her quest for revenge against the empire that killed her family, using time-bending powers to explore a vast, connected world.
store.steampowered.com

Treachery in Beatdown City on Steam

Explore an ANGRY city, meet the WORST people, and beat 'em up with STYLE! Pick your fighter, FREEZE TIME, build custom combos, and knock out your enemies, all to save the president.
Also Transistor, though not exactly 2D.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I was hoping for this sort of thread.

I was looking for a City Building game which you start in the post cave man era. You start with simple huts made of sticks and straw, eventually newer eras open up which creates technological progression like your city making it's first settlement out of stone, and eventually the introduction of iron, steelwork, and electricity.

Something that focuses more aspects on the city building mechanics of a primitive village and over time become a modern mega metropolis.

I don't think Civilization does this as it's more strictly an RTS, so I'm not sure if a City Building game through ancient times into the modern era exists.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of any other FPSs like Unreal or Halo: CE, where you play a character stranded on an alien world and there's a real sense of discovery?

I'm playing Subnautica at the moment and it definitely has that same vibe, but I'm also hankering to shoot some baddies in the face.

Try metro exodus. Its post apo Russia but it feels alien enough

Oct 25, 2017

I was looking for a City Building game which you start in the post cave man era. You start with simple huts made of sticks and straw, eventually newer eras open up which creates technological progression like your city making it's first settlement out of stone, and eventually the introduction of iron, steelwork, and electricity.

Something that focuses more aspects on the city building mechanics of a primitive village and over time become a modern mega metropolis.

I don't think Civilization does this as it's more strictly an RTS, so I'm not sure if a City Building game through ancient times into the modern era exists.
SimCity Creator on the DS:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If anybody knows about indie Mario Party clones that would be rad. I think I once saw maybe one on Steam Early Access but hadn't checked in if its development was going well in awhile. Otherwise there's pretty much squat.

ojcover.png

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Zoe 2 vr

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
I'm into Roguelikes (ACTUAL Roguelikes, not Roguelites) that don't just take place inside a single dungeon. Ones that offer a world to explore with side quests and maybe even a story to uncover. So far that only ones that I know of are Elona, which isn't even in official Dev anymore, and T.O.M.E

Dungeons of Dredmor is great Roguelike, but you want one that's not a single dungeon. How about Tangledeep?

store.steampowered.com

Tangledeep on Steam

Enter the magical world of Tangledeep, a beautifully polished dungeon crawler inspired by classic 16-bit RPGs! Colorful characters, a unique job system, tons of skills, items, and diverse environments with deep, turn-based roguelike gameplay. A different adventure every time you play!

or the Shiren the Wanderer series of games. I know the Wii version has multiple dungeons and town to explore/story to learn about.

Last edited:

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any FPS game, specially stealth, that you can look without turning your body?

Like, just hold right stick, you rotate, but hold R1 together and you only do a quick look? Then you go back to your normal view when you release.

Not that different from holding alt + moving the mouse in 3rd person camera in PUBG.

Do you mean leaning left or right? It's fairly standard in games with a PC lineage, though I'm not sure there if are any on consoles besides Arkane's games and the original Deus Ex.

System Shock 1 & 2
Thief 1-3
Deus Ex
Stalker series
Arx Fatalis
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Dishonored series
Prey (2017)

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Gunpoint and Heat Signature, I believe?

Universim. Not sure how far they are into the modern stuff yet.

Dwarf Fortress adventure mode, I believe.

Great idea, OP!

Is there a good oldskool RTS ala Command&Conquer, Starcraft on Android??
If a Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander like game is okay there's Machines At War 3.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Has anyone ever made a game that's a mix between Zelda gameplay and turn-based JRPG? To better explain what I mean, just imagine a Zelda game where combat was turn-based but dungeons were still the usual "use items to solve puzzles, find keys to open doors" ones. I was thinking about making a game like this but it'd be great to know if it's a thing already, to see if the idea works or not =P

Alternatively, I'd love suggestions of 3D Zelda-likes that aren't Darksiders, Okami, Beyond Good and Evil or Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, if any of you guys know any.

Aug 28, 2019
Has anyone ever made a game that's a mix between Zelda gameplay and turn-based JRPG? To better explain what I mean, just imagine a Zelda game where combat was turn-based but dungeons were still the usual "use items to solve puzzles, find keys to open doors" ones. I was thinking about making a game like this but it'd be great to know if it's a thing already, to see if the idea works or not =P

Lufia 2 was like that to a degree. Dungeons feature puzzles that involve the use of a handful of special items like bombs, arrows, a hookshot etc, as well as stock elements like blocks and switches. Monsters are visible on the dungeon screen and only move when you do. Combat is standard JRPG. I recommend it, it's one of the better 16-bit JRPGs.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
Gunpoint and Heat Signature, I believe?

Universim. Not sure how far they are into the modern stuff yet.

Dwarf Fortress adventure mode, I believe.

If a Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander like game is okay there's Machines At War 3.

Thanks, that looks like a great sugestion!

If you haven't checked it out yet, try Iron Marines by the guys who did Kingdom Rush.

And this one actually looks awesome, too! Thanks for tagging the very informative review; kuch apreciated sugestion of a game :)!

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Never played it but I think Alien: Infestation on DS is like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Infestation

I'd say this. Really fun game actually. Definitely a metroidvania. You can rescue around 20 colonial Marines. They each have their own personality and dialogue. It doesn't change what they can do, so they don't play differently. But it's a really enjoyable romp where the meta includes rescuing as many Marines as you can.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Any NSFW game on Steam that is completely legitimately great and would actually be a contender for GOTY from a legitimate publication if it were not a NSFW game? (I'm assuming every single one is garbage; no VNs)

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Aren't there a few first person Gundam games? Like on the Dreamcast? I don't think MS Sensen 0079 (Wii) shows any cockpit geometry but it's nice anyway, being one of the few FPS games with Wiimote IR aiming.

Oct 25, 2017

Alternatively, I'd love suggestions of 3D Zelda-likes that aren't Darksiders, Okami, Beyond Good and Evil or Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, if any of you guys know any.
Lufia (not the DS one), Golden Sun, Wild Arms (except for XF). If you are okay with dungeon crawlers and dungeon puzzles in general (not exactly Zelda styled), also check out Legend of Grimrock, Bard's Tale IV and similar titles.

Oh, and while action based instead of turn based, I would highly recommend taking a look at CrossCode.

For 3D Zelda: Dual Hearts (PS2) and the recent-ish Oceanhorn.

Last edited:

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

This is what Hawken should've been :(

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Lufia 2 was like that to a degree. Dungeons feature puzzles that involve the use of a handful of special items like bombs, arrows, a hookshot etc, as well as stock elements like blocks and switches. Monsters are visible on the dungeon screen and only move when you do. Combat is standard JRPG. I recommend it, it's one of the better 16-bit JRPGs.

I'll take a look, thanks!

Lufia (not the DS one), Golden Sun, Wild Arms (except for XF). If you are okay with dungeon crawlers and dungeon puzzles in general (not exactly Zelda styled), also check out Legend of Grimrock, Bard's Tale IV and similar titles.

Oh, and while action based instead of turn based, I would highly recommend taking a look at CrossCode.

For 3D Zelda: Dual Hearts (PS2) and the recent-ish Oceanhorn.

I'll take a look at all of those, thanks!

@ bolded
I've never heard of Dual Hearts but it does seem to be exactly what I'm looking for, it's a shame it's stuck on PS2 though. We really don't get enough OoT-style games nowadays.

As for Oceanhorn, I always thought it felt more like 2D Zelda (and it always seemed kinda... generic, too), so not really what I want. With that said, I recently discovered that there's a sequel coming out, which looks much better artstyle-wise and is going full 3D, so I'm looking forward to it:

Oceanhorn-2-android-iphone-3.jpg

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean leaning left or right? It's fairly standard in games with a PC lineage, though I'm not sure there if are any on consoles besides Arkane's games and the original Deus Ex.

System Shock 1 & 2
Thief 1-3
Deus Ex
Stalker series
Arx Fatalis
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Dishonored series
Prey (2017)

No, not really. Not leaning, but being able to look independently of your movent. So that you can walk forward but keep a look at the patrol of a guard at your right or left for example. But as soon as you release this "look mode" the camera centers again.
This sounds more like a VR thing would do properly.

Stealth in first person could be much better with this system. I suppose.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
An adventure game that is not from Dontnot or Telltale set in a small town with a large cast of characters like in Twin Peaks that are very well fleshed out?

Aug 28, 2019
- Technical third-person action/RPG (Souls-like or something in that ballpark)
- Supports straightforward, full-time online coop (not messing around with phantoms)
- Persistent long-form campaign

Something like Necropolis, minus the roguelite aspect.

Oct 25, 2017
An adventure game that is not from Dontnot or Telltale set in a small town with a large cast of characters like in Twin Peaks that are very well fleshed out?
Not precisely what you want but maybe the Rusty Lake series, it even has the Swery seal of approval. IIRC, Virginia and Kentucky Route Zero are also openly inspired by Twin Peaks, though dunno how large the casts of either game are.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Not precisely what you want but maybe the Rusty Lake series, it even has the Swery seal of approval. IIRC, Virginia and Kentucky Route Zero are also openly inspired by Twin Peaks, though dunno how large the casts of either game are.
I just started Virginia ($0.99 on PSN) and it's been interesting so far.

snackary

Mar 11, 2019
You've probably heard of it, but Ancient Domains of Mystery has what you are looking for.