• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does this feel real

• Yes I am extremely aware in this historic moment

• No my mind is still trying to catch up to reality

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lunzio

Oct 28, 2017
Every day I go to work I risk unknown exposure between my patients and my colleagues. I fear bringing this home to my loved ones and it's a very unreal real experience that I never want to get used to.

It's surreal in that yeah, this is like a slow-motion disaster movie. But it's very real. It's feeling more real by the moment as the other shoe related to massive and abrupt unemployment is about to drop here in the US.

When I think about where this is going and could easily go in a month, it feels realer still. (And more surreal.)

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. This may be a taste of things to come if humanity doesn't get its shit together with regards to climate change and I'm quite aware of that.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As a physician, I keep trying to mentally prepare myself for the peak when it comes, but I find it hard to think about honestly. My hospital has been setting up all kinds of emergency protocols, like building a wall of sandbags in anticipation of a flood. I just hope all the extreme measures we're doing now have a substantial impact and we don't get completely overwhelmed. I don't want to be in an Italy situation

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very well aware of the reality. I've been warning people about it since at least January when I'd see messages from a friend of mine dealing with it in China. Then watching it slowly spread. People here STILL don't take it seriously, though - so much ignorance. I don't think people are capable of quantifying how major this could become without the strict lock downs we're under right now (well, most of us). The figure I've seen, with no changes, we'd have hit 3-4 million deaths; or more than have died in all of our wars put together. As is, we'll probably still hit tens of thousands. In such a small time frame, it's still a lot to process.

Just doing what I can to keep myself safe while working in what has been deemed an essential position (grocery).

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's real to me considering I am debating getting tested tomorrow.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It felt real from the moment China started wearing hazmat suits and quarantined city's with millions of people. Why are so many people in fantasy land that this is shocking months after that?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working from home the past few weeks and am essentially under lockdown (CA) so yes very much. I also know people who have gotten it.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thing is very real for me. My medical school went online only for the rest of the semester. I just took my first test from home. I have board exams coming up in June. I actually moved back to my parents house right after our school closed so I am with my family during the outbreak which is really nice and calming. The worst part about this is that all gyms are closed. I go to the gym everyday and it's really depressing now that I can't go. And it is weird seeing the roads all empty and everything pretty much closed down.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
My entire industry is shut down. Literally everyone I know is out of work. Yeah, it feels pretty fucking real.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
life as we know it has been completely upended, exposing how woefully unprepared we are for all of it.

scary times ahead for many people either mentally/financially/physicaly. and i really fear/am uncertain that modern society, at least here in north america, is really prepared for the sacrifices and patience necessary to get through this in decent shape.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
It feels very real and it also feels like the worst of it is still on the way.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has happened very fast and everyday feels completely different than the last. The escalation of changes is disorienting
Certain factors are increasing. I'm running more to combat stress and interior fatigue, and I'm sure as fuck drinking and drugging more. Like, three and four cocktail while working at a computer remotely from home.

Edit: In NYC by the way.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's felt real and I think it's sunk in but it home a little more tonight. My wife and I went to have dinner with my parents and we sat on the far side of their large dinner table, washed our hands like a million times, didn't hug or physically touch them once. I'm really happy we went over to see them because I'm used to seeing them at least once a week and I wanted to check on their pantry and freezer to make sure they have a good amount of food.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I lived through the fall of the USSR and the Cold War as well as 9/11, so it's not the first time I see history being written in real time. I will however say this feels exactly like these events did, and I have no doubt it will leave a permanent mark in history books.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The CEO of the company for which I work just announced a mass layoff of 20% of our staff nationwide, so yeah it's definitely starting to feel real. They were given good severances, can get on unemployment benefits and will have their positions waiting for them when they return, but it's fucking crushing.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Mix of real & surreal
9/11 was nothing compared to this since it's a virus so you don't know who has it x if it's on objects/surfaces etc
The real invisible threat, life will never be the same
I'm just worried that my parents will catch it since they are in their 70s

It's just getting started to , that's the scary thing

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Bit of both to be honest. Things have changed so much so quickly. Even though the gravity of the situation was apparent the moment China started locking things down and then reinforced when figures stating the hospitalization rates were released, it all still feels like something out of a movie. Like, you know this a watershed moment in history, the kind you'll look back on ten, twenty even fifty years down the road and think how significant it all is and yet, I'm just sitting here in quarantine on my laptop.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For me living in Japan it's rather surreal as other than schools closing for an extra couple of weeks and a few signs telling us to wash our hands there's been hardly any change here and people are just going about their business as usual. All shops and restaurants around me are still open and there's still plenty of people about. In my opinion this is down to the government trying to save face by not testing people and ignoring the situation and hoping it goes away so the olympics goes ahead as scheduled. Last week I was refused to be tested even though I had all of the symptoms and three people from my workplace called in sick on the same day due to fevers and coughs but we're also refused testing.

its made even more strange when I watch the news and see what's happening in Europe and the US. Whats even more crazy is that Japan has a huge elderly population that are the most at risk, so if this did get worse here a good chunk of the Japanese population could be wiped out by this virus, yet Japan is one of main countries that are doing the least to contain or fight the virus.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It became real really fast. Just for an example from my life. I'm a permanency case director for kids in foster care.

Last week: We may be making some changes due to the Coronavirus. Make sure you see all the kids you haven't seen yet ASAP (we are required to lay eyes on kids at placement a minimum of once per month.)

Monday: AM Business as usual, be prepared for emails. PM- Go home we have someone in the office who was in a home that visited someone who may have been infected. (Turned out to be negative).

Tuesday: Find out that our governor has closed all schools. Get your shit out of the office and prepare to work from home just in case. We still plan to have you see kids this month (most of us done with that already though).

Wednesday: All of our therapists and other services for kids/parents are open and plan to be. All kid visits with parents and siblings are still on. Must ask screening questions to families before they happen. Office still open for us, closed to the public.

Thursday: Ok visits off with the exception of visits with bio parents. Don't come into the office without permission from supervisor.

Friday: Absolutely zero kid contact or travel for any reason with the exception of emergencies. Only current placement of kids is allowed to be there. Only come into the office if you have something essential to child safety there. You must receive permission from the region director to enter.

That leaves out a lot of details but just an example of how in my line of work went from "normal" to holy shit in a few days.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I do not believe the Chinese infected/death numbers at all.

Just look at Italy/Iran and many other countries that are ticking higher than China with lower populations at the time from infection.

Working from home managing a team is another level of weirdness especially with 2 very young kids who demand attention throughout the day.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
For me living in Japan it's rather surreal as other than schools closing for an extra couple of weeks and a few signs telling us to wash our hands there's been hardly any change here and people are just going about their business as usual. All shops and restaurants around me are still open and there's still plenty of people about. In my opinion this is down to the government trying to save face by not testing people and ignoring the situation and hoping it goes away so the olympics goes ahead as scheduled. Last week I was refused to be tested even though I had all of the symptoms and three people from my workplace called in sick on the same day due to fevers and coughs but we're also refused testing.

its made even more strange when I watch the news and see what's happening in Europe and the US. Whats even more crazy is that Japan has a huge elderly population that are the most at risk, so if this did get worse here a good chunk of the Japanese population could be wiped out by this virus, yet Japan is one of main countries that are doing the least to contain or fight the virus.

Yup, this has been my experience too.

The surreal part is seeing how much it seems to have affected other countries while it seems Japan's taken the "ignorance is bliss" approach.

Aprikurt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 29, 2017
It's starting to sink in. My job won't be the same for at least six months. The UK government are finally starting to take it seriously. And yeah, I'm honestly a little scared, but life uh... uh... finds a way.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been sick for so long that I don't feel like I'm part of the real world anymore. This virus can kill me if I catch it, but it hasn't really affected my life at all. My family on the other hand has to be super careful, so it's definitely affecting them. I know been very stressful for my parents. To me it's just one more thing to worry about.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
It feels surreal back then and now I'm currently experiencing EXTREME enhanced quarantine here in the Philippines.
All the ones arguing we shouldn't stock up, we are just paranoid and making me a bit ashamed in the old thread.
Turns out it's just worse lol I wish I bought more food back in Feb.

I'm worried about my health
I'm worried about my family and friends
I'm worried about the future

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Went from, "Huh, there's some interesting news coming out of Wuhan" to "Well, the whole town just shut down" in the space of days. But yeah, it's been real for me for the last two months.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I lived through the fall of the USSR and the Cold War as well as 9/11, so it's not the first time I see history being written in real time. I will however say this feels exactly like these events did, and I have no doubt it will leave a permanent mark in history books.

thinking about this as well, it will definitely happen again, perhaps next time won't be as tumultuous economically, and hopefully trump isn't in power either...

but it could be a yearly thing. or bi-yearly.

Nov 11, 2017
I spent the last week awaiting my colleagues results- he had a fever 8 days ago and got tested, so we were sent home. Just found out today he was negative.

it definitely feels dreamlike, especially with how much/little time has passed. It is just incredibly bizarre to go outside for supplies as well.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, it's been a gradual ride for me, as well. But it started to really sink in when my job decided to close us down for a week, as we remain open for all sorts of fun weather. Today was the real wake up call when I was asked to come into the office and take home my work desktop computer. And now I wonder if we'll ever go back into that office since we can do 90% of our job from home anyway. I think I'm a bit in shock as this is all incredibly surreal right now.

Tomorrow my partner will be treating patients who have been diagnosed with coronavirus, so I feel like it's only a matter of time before I have it as well. Thankfully I'm young and healthy enough that I should be fine, but it's going to be hard possibly not being able to visit my elderly parents in the foreseeable near future.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Obama is sorely needed right now. That's a guy that wouldn't sleep until a plan that led the rest of the world was in place and Americans would feel so much calmer with a guy like that at the wheel.

And I'm mad that Biden isn't showing me that right now. This is the moment he's supposed to take charge, and there's just Trump slams and a write up on his website.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
thinking about this as well, it will definitely happen again, perhaps next time won't be as tumultuous economically, and hopefully trump isn't in power either...

but it could be a yearly thing. or bi-yearly.

I meant it in a more literal way, that it will be studied in history books for decades to come; in terms of long-term effects, I believe the most prominent ones will be economic. I still haven't lost hope that a cure or vaccine will be found and mass-produced, leading to eventual eradication in the near future.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Everyone in Australia has complete conflict fatigue. From October to January we were already stuck inside from bushfire smoke. Then in mid-January we were stuck inside again when a once in 40 year rain event extinguished them.

When the rain ended and the bushfire smoke was out, everyone was looking forward to getting back to normal. But in roughly the same week we had our first Covid cases. They all got isolated quick smart and there was no community transmission. The government banned travel from China and everything finally went back to normal.

Six weeks on from that, there are 1000 cases, we have some cumminuty transmission, and we're all going into social isolation. On Tuesday I got told to work from home.

I had a real low mental moment the other day when I realised I was going to be stuck inside for another 3-6 months.

Keep in mind when you watch this crisis that Australians have already been housebound by smoke and fire for an extra 3 months.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I feel like I'm going to wake up and it'll all be over. The fact that this is an unprecedented pandemic that's going to keep going for a few months and our entire way of living is changed for the foreseeable future is just unfathomable.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am aware this is historic, and we're quite honestly in a period that will set the course of humanity for the next 50 years. That might seem hyperbolic, but for example, in America, this singular event will determine the political landscape of the country. So many are fucked, right now, and what happens to those people now? Do they fall for fascism or progressivism?

The best thing to come out of this is the 40 year end of neoliberal politics in America, the end of rugged individualism and market value. The worst that can come out of this is an attempt to crystalize those values, because if that's done, this country is more or less finished, because we have bigger, more observable problems ahead of us. We are in a period of human history where the vision of tomorrow has yet to be defined.

Pumpkins

Feb 16, 2020
Yes it's very real, it's unavoidable to see otherwise.

For one, just go to the grocery store. Most often whole aisles are stripped bare.

There's also this weird energy surrounding everyone. Everyone is afraid. Masks and gloves on lots of people in public (this is uncommon in the US).

I don't like being out. I feel like a madman constantly washing my hands and cleaning things I've touched.

I am aware this is historic, and we're quite honestly in a period that will set the course of humanity for the next 50 years. That might seem hyperbolic, but for example, in America, this singular event will determine the political landscape of the country. So many are fucked, right now, and what happens to those people now? Do they fall for fascism or progressivism?

The best thing to come out of this is the 40 year end of neoliberal politics in America, the end of rugged individualism and market value. The worst that can come out of this is an attempt to crystalize those values, because if that's done, this country is more or less finished, because we have bigger, more observable problems ahead of us. We are in a period of human history where the vision of tomorrow has yet to be defined.

Well said. I definitely think this will impact America in a very drastic way. Hopefully for the better (in the long run).

Last edited:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I didn't know how crucial it was for the president to to kick the gears in motion to respond to something like this. I'm sure he didn't know either. šŸ˜”

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until you get to the realisation that some people close to you will die because of this and likely the last time you'll see them is when they are taken to hospital...

ps3ud0 8)

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The world as it was three months ago is gone forever, and will feel like a completely foreign place once we're on the other side of this.