• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does this feel real

• Yes I am extremely aware in this historic moment

• No my mind is still trying to catch up to reality

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It does all feel a little surreal when I notice that the behaviour of myself or others is different.

I can see empty shelves, or helicopter shots of barren public areas, and it feels like a movie soundtrack should be playing over it.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in NYC, so yes, it does feel real. I have had to stock up on items for the past few days. Woke up early to line up at Target when they opened up at 8am, just so that I can get some supplies.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm aware of the scale and significance of it, but it still feels very surreal.

Almost like being in a state of shock.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I'm homeless because of this virus so yes. My life savings is probably going to be wiped out too but hey at least I have my job still.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Oh man, I totally forgot about the word "surreal"
Yea that's basically what I'm feeling and what I mean

Mar 3, 2018
You believe millions will die from this?

Well, Vaccine is 18 months away at least, the people who are most in danger such as older people, people with prior underling conditions etc will probably suffer.

Most models that I have seen, even the ones that take best case scenario in their simulation suggest at least 2-4 million will be deceased by the end of this. Some of the models even suggest 50 million.

This is truly a worldwide disaster, We havent even hit the peak of it yet, so many places are lagging behind testing. The next three weeks will e key with everyone returning to their country after spring break and just passing through to get back home.

As for the question...stil feels very surreal.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it feels real. People need to accept the reality, the sooner we do the sooner we will get past this.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It's hard to give a straight yes/no answer.

Oddly enough for me, my day-to-day isn't all that changed so it doesn't exactly feel real in that respect. This despite the fact that I do not work from home right now, but my office was already small and pretty self-isolating without a global pandemic. Most of them aren't even coming into the office anyhow, so I'm here alone basically.

Looking at the news and everything going on globally and even locally, it feels very real and it's clear this is a historic moment either in that we are devastated or it illustrates the ability of humanity to come together and stop a common threat. It would be wonderful if it ended up being some sort of turning point in terms of global outlooks, but that's probably a bit optimistic...

So, it doesn't feel real personally, but looking out it feels all too real.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I'm in a state of shock tbh. I mean it's terrifying. Not knowing how much worse it's going to get, no end in sight, everyday is worse than previous day. It's fucking insane. I'm so thankful me and my wife can work from home and be home with the kids during this so being together with my family helps me get through it but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared shitless right about now

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I've been preparing for a couple months now knowing what would eventually happen since not nearly enough was being done when it first started.

It was only inevitable in my mind, so I've more or less accepted it awhile back.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yes and no, I guess. The world is a weird place right now, but it has not impacted my daily life all that much so far. My wife and I don't have kids and are homebodies anyway, so our home life hasn't really changed, except that she normally travels a lot for work and all of that has been suspended, so it has been nice to have her home more. Up until this morning I had still been going to the office every day at my boss' insistence, but one of my coworkers woke up with symptoms today and I had been at her house on Tue to get her work from home station set up, so I was finally asked to start working from home. I haven't had trouble getting food or necessities.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, and it's definitely gonna hit even harder over the course of the next week. I personally know two people that are suspected to have it and only one has been able to get a test (after her job working with seniors pressured her to come in anyway).

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I don't think OP was implying it wasn't real folks lol
Yea I wasn't

obviously all our lives have changed, but mentally it hasn't really caught up

like, we're still getting 50 pages threads in gaming side about whether PS5 plays PS4 games.
I don't know if it's just how we're coping, but this reality were going through whole simultaneously still having internet and electricity and on demand entertainment, it feels odd. And the fact I still have homework to turn in

it's contradictory in a way
Idk, I don't have the right words for it

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Well, considering my Fox News-consuming father thinks coronavirus is just the flu, up to and including regurgitating Trump's talking points about it being less deadlier, I'm terrified right now.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Why would clusters of people marching be a good thing right now

I mean a figurative worker/medical revolution IS needed after all this. Not that we haven't been asking for ages, but if rich people want to keep making money, they will finally need to do something (because it hurts their own bottom line, not because they actually care, of course). Stuff doesn't normally change drastically until something critical actually happens. "oh, maybe we should prep for a major epidemic" "oh, maybe we should pay people a little more" "oh, maybe we should rehaul how medical works" "oh, too many people broke is bad because no one is buying anything (even moreso than before)".

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
well its pretty surreal, seeing my gf's school friend as our new prime minister on the news constantly and trying to assure the nation we will have enough food, etc.

i also work in a hospital with more than a few confirmed corona patients and im probably infected several times over. just today i saw couches in the ER lobby getting disinfected because a corona patient had wandered off into the wrong area and just laid down..

very weird times, basically every minute is weird.

also im afraid. right now its kind of eerily quiet at our hospital, most normal patients have disappeared, so the hallways and lobbies are dead silent a lot of the time.. but we all know its the quiet before the storm.

Mar 30, 2019
This is a very rapid transition period. Changing from one state of mind/behavior to another always requires work and is almost always uncomfortable. That's why I think people prefer status quo. It simply takes less activation energy.

Now we are in a situation beyond our control and forces us to adapt. Of course that is going to be a shock to the system. This is why maintaining communication and staying informed is paramount. It will support your nerves and guide you with the tools you will need to adapt.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It has been awful and compounds the already huge fear of disease I've long suffered from. It doesn't really change the way I work at all but that's the only thing that is constant.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
in Brazil we are only starting to take measures now, so it's starting to catch up in my mind, sounds so surreal to know that i'm living through a big historical event, i was only a baby in 9/11

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's not what I expected but it's realizing the generic fear of crisis that I've had for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I work retail and I have overheard multiple conversations on the floor about people getting laid off.

It feels very real

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's insanely surreal but yeah, I consider it real.

It's weird that my job and my side gig are not only unaffected but are booming because of this shit.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's been real to me for about 3+ weeks now. I work in a substance abuse treatment facility and it's basically a petri dish. I'm going to get it, it's just a matter of time.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Yes... I run a team of 25 people who sit in close situation to each other. We have had to make drastic changes to the way we work and we have 3 people who have been told by doctors to stay home for 2 weeks. Not enough tests to verify but we have to treat them as they are infected.

So its very real as I worry about getting work done. We are part of the pipeline to get goods to stores so I feel we are important.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and I'm witnessing a nex level of dumb everyday judging by the behaviour of the people where I live.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I've been following it since Jan/Feb thanks to Reddit...I spent a whole night reading through it and thought this could get very bad.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's wild and I consider myself extremely lucky. I'm in a cushy salary position that allows me to work from home. As bad as things are, I'm really just being inconvenienced. I feel terrible for people who are actually seeing their lives implode. It's heart breaking. I'm trying to give money to all of the local businesses starting funds for furloughed service workers and I'm still paying our dog walker, even though my fiancée and I are working from home.

Ultimately, our government (here in the US) isn't gonna do what's required to help everyone, so everyone who's in a position to give needs to. If we don't look out for each other, no one will.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah. Husband will probably be laid off within the next month, and I've had to sit down and figure out how long we can survive if both of us lose our jobs. I was in the middle of a big project for my yard, so I'll have to put that on hold probably just to be safe. Got enough cash on hand for 9 months without a job if I stop the project, but I think my job is safe and we can live okay without his salary.

Other than that, though, it's not affecting my life much. I make meals from scratch, and the produce sections are well stocked where I live so that's not going to affect me much other than getting rid of meals with chicken and ground beef as long as those are sold out. I work alone in an office, so still can go to work and staying home isn't a big deal either. Friends all have kids, so I can continue to see them just as infrequently as before.

I'm oddly hopeful about it if anything. Like maybe people will wake up and we'll get another New Deal out of this.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
You believe millions will die from this?

Top medical professionals estimate the death rate would be ~1-2% if everyone was tested properly as the current death % hinges on almost no one being tested so we have very inaccurate statistics for who has gotten it and beaten it and been fine.

At least a couple million dying seems like a certainty. If the entire world was infected and no one took it seriously or took any action 77-154 million would die @ 1-2%. Even with preventive actions you're still looking at a lot, esp. since if it hits third world countries they'll be ill equipped to deal with it properly.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Feels unbelievably surreal but this shit is damn real to me and i'm following every single precaution i can to protect myself and my family/friends/co-workers/other people. What hits even harder is how fragile this society is and how close we are from total madness, how jobs and companies are thin, how my favorite spots and shops are just dying and will cease to exist post all this is over. It''s really sad if you ask me.

But we all need to come around with reality and stay sharp, curate what we read, what we consume as information in order to keep our shit together the best way possible.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes, of course. Was mental that it kicked off so quickly worldwide but it's not surreal, it's what this shit can do. Read plenty in History books about this sort of thing happening. Just have to do what we can, like people have done previously. We're arguably better equipped than we've ever been, though some people need to start screwing their heads on. History books didn't mention if everyone were greedy, selfish cunts in the past, but that might make it in this time around.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
How can it not feel real to anyone by this point
why personally it hasn't clicked completely:
- I wasn't paying much attention for a while
- I still have school assignments due
- I still have WiFi, electricity, era, amazon, on demand entertainment
- I was already an introvert practicing social isolation before this, only going to the gym and class

I know it's real
It just hasn't clicked yet in my feelings
And maybe it's a coping mechanism or something
Shit, just 10 days ago I was visiting San Francisco for the first time. God what a beautiful city. Can I work there some day?