• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does this feel real

• Yes I am extremely aware in this historic moment

• No my mind is still trying to catch up to reality

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I don't mean is it a hoax, I mean, has your state of mind adapted to the situation yet?

i had a spring break trip planned for months to meet up with a friend so for the month leading up to that it was all I could think about, well that and the Democratic Primary. I remember I only even clicked on the coronavirus thread a couple of times before a 30 day ban I got. Being banned and the dem primary basically being settled I tuned the news out for a bit, eventually I'm on spring break with my friend having a blast and then I see that the NBA suspended the season and holy shit wtf
I feel like since then my mind still hasn't adjusted to this
The fact that classes got pushed to online after spring break just makes it feel like an extended break
Idk

I guess I saw virus and my mind jumped to vaccine
I can't help but think that the best case scenario is what's gonna happen
And how, well, even in Contagion they find a vaccine!

i Went to target yesterday and there was maybe half as many cars on the road and half as many people and products inside target

I think of The Leftovers and how 2 percent of the population disappeared without explanation and how what tore the survivors up was the how and why, more than the what

I think of how my moms mad at me cause I won't visit, but I literally just came back from the west coast and she is defitnely at risk if I visit but she's too hard headed to not think of it like that

I'm just wondering, where's y'all state of mind
Has the reality caught up to you yet

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No. It's unbelievable this is happening to our world right now. I'm still in shock with everything.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah work has been constantly fucking me dry since it has happened. It's the most real. I am going through the most stress I have ever felt in my life because of trying to assist everyone else in this scenario from my work situation. It sucks ass, I have never felt so fucking defeated before. I go shopping and shit just isn't available, the news can't stop talking about the fucking things. I don't give a shit if I get this damn virus, I just want this shit to be over.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I keep telling everyone, living history is kind of boring. I'm sure we all remember 9/11. Well, if you weren't in the areas effected, it just became a bizarre series of rumors that usually resulted in more downtime than normal.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is the new generation's 9/11 is how I'm thinking of it.

The difference is that back then, we decided to do tons of shitty things and used it as basically a get out of jail free card, I'm hoping that society reflects on these days and understands that we need healthcare, that humans aren't born to work and die, that community is important, and how shit our system is, top to bottom.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting updates every few hours at work (I work for a hospital) about how they're making changes, and each change spells out a more dire picture every time. My mom back home may have caught the virus (awaiting results, she got tested yesterday), and since she lives with my grandparents, there is a very real possibility that I'm about to lose people who are close to me. Yes, I am extremely aware of what's happening right now, and anyone who doesn't think it's a crisis needs a reality check.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Like yes, and no. It's still early days.

This is the equivalent of World War 3. We're at war with this virus and most of the country doesn't even know it yet.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Working in retail and a part of retail that is not going to close no matter what happens. Yeah it's pretty real to me at this point.

Especially the way that no person seems to want to respect personal space of retail employees. I don't want to tell you how many people have shoved a phone in my face or gotten way too close to me after we put up the CDC information and said no more than 10 people in the store at a time.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
A few weeks ago? No. It felt remote. It hadn't affected me or my clients or my friends.

Today? Absolutely. I was in A&E with my son yesterday, both of us in masks, being evaluated by a doctor in full suit and mask, and we've been isolated in our house for most of this week.

Talking to my friends, who work across a range of different industries, including insurance and risk, and we all agreed this was beyond 9/11 in terms of historical impact. It's not WW2 level, but it's somewhere between those two. It's without question the biggest thing I've been alive to witness.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
It has been 3 weeks from booking our holidays to lockdown. So surreal. But I can feel we are in a historic moment.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mom was one of the 73 people tested in Texas last week and is in isolation, so yes, it feels very real. BTW, the testing process is an absolute mess. So much confusion and nobody know what they are doing. Twice my mom has gone in for her results only for them to tell her they've got absolutely no record of her ever being there and the state lab has never heard of her before and they make her retake the test. The latest time she outright refused.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware, and yet I'm not. It's surreal and it's been quite a shock, so much so that I've been almost... calm. I've heard this can happen to people in some extreme situations. But it... just is what it is and just need to stay inside :/ There's not much more we can really do.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone talks about it, its everywhere in life, I try to escape when I can. Very real.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's still surreal but I'm aware this is something that will be remembered.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm now unemployed cause of it so yeah it feels pretty real

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of both to be honest. It's been a story I've been tracking and taking seriously for months (when most on this site were downplaying it with dumbass flu comparisons). With that said, it's still surreal to be living through the biggest event in history for the last 75 years and thinking about how significantly the world will be changed because of it (human toll, financial toll, changes to social norms, etc...).

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
My life has been affected by this since end of Jan, so yeah not surprising with what's going on in US right now.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well i don't know of anyone that has gotten it or know some one who knows someone yet. although i am seeing seniors all around wearing face masks so its real to me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Needs some middle option.

Yeah I chose "no" only because I feel like I'm taking this better, although I did have a couple days where I was more high tense with everything going on. It's like, I dunno. Something we've never experienced, and yet it almost feels like it could just go back to normal at the snap of a finger? I dunno, it's hard to believe that it's a thing.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Considering my wife is laid off and I'm typing this on my kitchen table while working from home... yes, it could not be more real.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
It took some time, but seeing military patrolling my street, telling me to keep inside, and going grocery shopping full of people with masks and gloves...
Yeah, I am fully aware of what is going on.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The feeling is incredibly weird. I don't feel like we're necessarily deep in it. Like everyone's waiting for this tsunami to hit. It's like 9/11 and the 2008 crash multiplied and done in slow motion where no one really knows what to expect afterwards or even when an afterwards will be.

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
The 14 million people out of work because of this make it feel extremely real, I'll tell you what.

Unemployment basically doubled overnight.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes and felt like the worst nightmare

I saw it coming from a mile away because I was starting to hear stuff from friends in europe when the president was using a "comedian" double to trow bananas at the journalists. And I still see it getting into mathematical projections and the goverment still thinking about the economy

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Considering my neighbor has it and I have some fun symptoms of it yeah it's real to me.

This is fucking ass if I die from this bs.

Oct 28, 2017
California
It just feels so surreal. In my 32 years of life I've never seen anything like this. Going to grocery stores and seeing aisles empty, feels like I'm a zombie apocalypse movie.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Slowly coming around, but it still feels surreal to me and my mind is trying to catch up to our new temporary reality.