• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I love ARPGs but I despise the movement in most of them. I have played games like Torchlight 1 and 2, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest etc. (Diablo 3 is way too expensive to buy). My only major issue with all these games is movement. When out of combat, there's nothing to do but walk from one place to next at flat speed, and when in combat, you either kite awkwardly with a ranged/summoner character or facetank with a melee one.

I'm looking for a game that has fun movement abilities that allow me to dash through the battlefield and mix up the combat. Hades, for example, which is a roguelike, has really engaging movement mechanics. I'd love to see something like that in the ARPG space.

Would appreciate recommendations.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have fun in PoE shrug
Most of the travel skills are pretty satisfying to use and zip across the maps

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't think there is any with an actual fun movement. I think both PoE and Diablo 3 a bit too too flashy to be actual fun for me in movement. D4 looks really good in the movement department so far but you are looking for already released games ... hmm

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade X

You can auto run/ auto walk jump anywhere without fall damage

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Like all ARPGs questions, Path of Exile is the answer
giphy.gif

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all suggesting JRPGs seem to have not read the OP. He's not talking about Nomuraite action-JRPGs or stuff like Ys, he's talking about Diablolike 90's real-time (ergo, Action) RPGs.

snowhite In that case, I would suggest Phantasy Star Online 2, it has plenty of Movement mechanics for the player to make use of in and out of combat, especially with the Braver class which has multiple Combat Dash attacks from my experience playing it.

And yes, it's a Loot-Game like Diablo - One of the devs of PSO1 said as much that they regularly "studied" Diablo 1 during the development of it - And by extension PSO2 is as well. It's F2P on Steam.

Feb 15, 2019
I don't know what you define as kite awkwardly, and even though you did mention Diablo 3 but not playing it as it was too expensive I'd still recommend both Diablo 3 and PoE.

They just have ridiculous movement builds in those games.

One thing's for sure. You definitely don't just walk at flat speed from one place to another in those games when you get a build going.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Like all ARPGs questions, Path of Exile is the answer
giphy.gif
That...looks glorious.
Y'all suggesting JRPGs seem to have not read the OP. He's not talking about Nomuraite action-JRPGs or stuff like Ys, he's talking about Diablolike 90's real-time (ergo, Action) RPGs.

snowhite In that case, I would suggest Phantasy Star Online 2, it has plenty of Movement mechanics for the player to make use of in and out of combat, especially with the Braver class which has multiple Combat Dash attacks from my experience playing it.

And yes, it's a Loot-Game like Diablo - One of the devs of PSO1 said as much that they regularly "studied" Diablo 1 during the development of it - And by extension PSO2 is as well. It's F2P on Steam.
Huh. I always thought the PSO games were World of Warcraft-like MMOs.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to have fun with movement in any click-to-move game.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Movement isn't something that has been explored a whole lot in action-rpgs in the mold of Diablo 2, mostly because Diablo 2 didn't have anything like that and most of the games coming after didn't really innovate on D2's design very much. PoE, like others have said, has incorporated more movement stuff over time, but imo it's hard to get good feeling movement in these kinds of games. If you do end up getting Diablo 3 ever, I'd recommend the console version as they have a dodge roll that the pc version lacks. I'd also like to point out that the gif posted of PoE isn't representative of what the game would be like until you're dozens of hours in. It's still very much a click to run across the map type game with a skill or two that allows you to charge or teleport a bit.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Transistor has similar movement abilities to Hades, and lets you play in action or turn-based fashion. See if that fits your bill.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought of Nier Automata, the characters run fast jump and dash. Movement is quite fun in and out of combat.

My first thought is Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah this is a great one. I like how you unlock moves like gliding as you progress.

Xenoblade X

You can auto run/ auto walk jump anywhere without fall damage

And you can also obtain mechs that jump high and transform into ground vehicles, and eventually fly... But XCX isn't an ARPG (I wish it were).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Diablo 3 on console is way more interesting from a movement viewpoint than the PC version.

Path of Exile does get interesting but it takes hours and hours of grinding to get any amount of items that make the mobility more than a snorefest.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Movement isn't something that has been explored a whole lot in action-rpgs in the mold of Diablo 2, mostly because Diablo 2 didn't have anything like that and most of the games coming after didn't really innovate on D2's design very much. PoE, like others have said, has incorporated more movement stuff over time, but imo it's hard to get good feeling movement in these kinds of games. If you do end up getting Diablo 3 ever, I'd recommend the console version as they have a dodge roll that the pc version lacks. I'd also like to point out that the gif posted of PoE isn't representative of what the game would be like until you're dozens of hours in. It's still very much a click to run across the map type game with a skill or two that allows you to charge or teleport a bit.
You're right. I guess what I'm looking for is an ARPG with movement and combat mechanics of something like Hades or Children of Morta or Bastion, and that probably doesn't exist.
To be honest, I've never been a fan of click to move. But it seems like pretty much all ARPGs have that system. Oh well.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
Are Ys games really out of the question? They are pretty zippy as far as ARPGs go... :(

PoE definitely isn't for everyone. It's by far my least favorite ARPG out of the ones I've played.
This is true. I've repeatedly had trouble getting into PoE. Grim Dawn also ended up being the Diablo 3 I originally wanted in terms of character building, so I guess it just depends how much faster movement means to you. I'd rather play Grim Dawn, personally.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
PoE has a major accessibility issue but they seem to be happy about it. Crafting system is deep and most people don't ever bother with ité The game requires a lot of your time to learn but it gives back quite a lot too.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Definitely look into the Kingdoms of Amalur remaster coming out next week. It is basically an over the shoulder Diablo, played best with a controller. It has tight controls and you can change your class super easily for a variety of play styles to avoid boredom or being stuck with the same build all the way through. The dungeon and world design is very ARPG, the loot is great, the skill tree stuff is simple but varied. It definitely scratches the same itch that Diablo-like ARPGs do rather than action JRPG's or Bethesda style WRPG.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Are Ys games really out of the question? They are pretty zippy as far as ARPGs go... :(

This is true. I've repeatedly had trouble getting into PoE. Grim Dawn also ended up being the Diablo 3 I originally wanted in terms of character building, so I guess it just depends how much faster movement means to you. I'd rather play Grim Dawn, personally.

Grim Dawn is one of my favorites too! I haven't played any expansions, but loved the base game.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Some combinations in Hades lead to some pretty crazy flying around the screen. Plus - hours of investment is not necessarily required!

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Definitely look into the Kingdoms of Amalur remaster coming out next week. It is basically an over the shoulder Diablo, played best with a controller. It has tight controls and you can change your class super easily for a variety of play styles to avoid boredom or being stuck with the same build all the way through. The dungeon and world design is very ARPG, the loot is great, the skill tree stuff is simple but varied. It definitely scratches the same itch that Diablo-like ARPGs do rather than action JRPG's or Bethesda style WRPG.
I loved Kingdoms of Amalur when it first launched. And then I played Skyrim with its floaty and terrible combat. I never understood the praise for Skyrim, when in my eyes Amalur was clearly the superior game when it came to combat.

Dark Souls was a huge thing for me because not only did it have fantastic combat, but it also mitigated the (in my opinion terrible) influence of Skyrim on the RPG genre. Good real-time combat systems are so hard to find in RPGs.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, I think OP has isometric ARPGs like Diablo in mind, not stuff like Nier or other RPGs, which tipycally have much more freedom of movement than these loot ARPGs.

The reason these games don't have some movement options like free dodge is that they are frequently made with mouse gameplay in mind. There are some exceptions, like Victor Vran.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Some combinations in Hades lead to some pretty crazy flying around the screen. Plus - hours of investment is not necessarily required!
I played a lot of Hades. Had to delete it because it completely ruined my productivity. Will probably pick it up after it reaches 1.0

But yeah, a stunning game with fluid, responsive combat and movement.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
PoE is great, but it requires a LOT of knowledge and time to gain access to those super fun, highly mobile builds. Your first few hours (particularly as a new player) are tough to trudge through.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Guys, I think OP has isometric ARPGs like Diablo in mind, not stuff like Nier or other RPGs, which tipycally have much more freedom of movement than these loot ARPGs.

The reason these games don't have some movement options like free dodge is that they are frequently made with mouse gameplay in mind. There are some exceptions, like Victor Vran.
Victor Vran looks sensational. But the reviews are kinda mixed on steam. So I'm not sure about it. Have you played the game? What did you think?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they? It's not really clear in the OP

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I really dig Path of Exile's movement skills, but be warned that the game is pretty notoriously hard to get into. The new player onboarding experience is... not the best. Lots of systems and complexity, not a lot of tutorials. It's easy to make a terrible build that isn't able to beat the game.
Rule #1--Max out your resistances! The late game is absolutely balanced around you having 75% of each elemental resistance (chaos resistance is less important)
I'd also recommend that you follow a popular league starter build guide for your first build so you can learn the game's systems and how to play without the additional pain of making a non-viable build.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe? I have only played a tiny bit was impressed. Felt somewhat like a character action game merged with Diablo.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I'll also say Ys.

...As long as you stay away from the first two (and the original 4th, IIRC). Unless you like being a bulldozer running into enemies to kill them.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Dogma feels so good to play.

Ys as well; just perfect fast-paced arcade combat goodness.

/edy: I guess you're limiting yourself to loot rpg's, I got nothing then.