• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
No shade but...

Great games but i wouldn't consider them role-playing games as they completely lack some sort of XP/leveling system.

Cyple

Jan 9, 2018
Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that MHW only won Best Role Playing game so they could tease their big announcement. Probably just my weird thought process though.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No except for cRPG sites, but they tend to have strong and weird political leanings.

Monster Hunter had to win something, so instead of making up a most improved franchise award they just gave it someone elses award.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit is an odd one, but I'd classify Monster Hunter World as an RPG.

Lucky241

Oct 31, 2017
the shores of Carcosa
RPG oringally meant role playing, like making choices and navigating consequences.

But for decades it was generally used to mean leveling, grinding exp, increasing stat numbers, and collecting loot.

It's okay that it's going back to its original meaning.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw people try to justify it by using the google definition of a rpg that is you playing the role of a characters...but, that's basically most games?
Walking Dead would also be an RPG?
Dunno

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Nobody knows anymore. Stop taking awards so seriously and enjoy the games you wanna enjoy.

Cyple

Jan 9, 2018
To add to my previous post, Monster Hunter should have replaced MegaMan 11 in the best action game category in the Game Awards. It is much more fitting and it would have probably beat Dead Cells out being as good as it is.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Do you know what a role playing game is?

Because it is not just xp/leveling and MHW does have xp/leveling stuff.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
If Detroit is RPG then every game is RPG because in every single game we are playing a role of someone or something. Lol. Silly.

I guess you can classify MHW as RPG, although for me it lacks dialogues and choices that really matter.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was always confused why pre-BotW Zelda titles (Zelda II aside) were often considered to be RPGs, but that was often more fans than press.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt restera knows what rpgs are either given how horizon zero dawn and breath of the wild are on our essential rpg list.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
cyz5sytw8aaorym.png

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
With shitty progression systems and bar filling infecting all video games now a days RPG label doesn't mean anything.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
RPGs seem to be getting niche. My only criticism of The Game Awards was the Best RPG offloaded in the pre-show, while the main show featured that shrimp muppet. Weird priorities.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
I approve Detroit as an RPG pick (and a fairly good one at that), even if it's not the most prevalent interpretation nowadays.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People have too ingrained the concept of turn based/d&d esque games as the only kind of RPG, when at this point lots of games have mechanics of the genre, just with more options

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
All games are RPGs.

Hell, if your game has an Rocket Propelled Grenade weapon in it, it's considered an RPG.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Detroit is an odd one, but I'd classify Monster Hunter World as an RPG.

Monster Hunter is an RPG. Lol at Detroit though.

Action RPG at best, and definitely more Action than RPG. (the progression system, if it can be referred as that, is essentially upgrading your armor/weapon set)

If those can be considered RPG, than technically almost every game can be considered an RPG, even things like The Sims. (you make money, upgrade your family, your house,...)

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
rpg is a pretty vague category nowadays, mh: world seems fair to be considered an rpg to me

detroit is the weirder one, would telltale (rip) games be considered rpgs to?

Oct 25, 2017
RPG is essentially on a continuum. Having it being a defined award category in 2018 seems silly.
Nobody knows anymore. Stop taking awards so seriously and enjoy the games you wanna enjoy.
I consider awards to be a potentially resourceful way for the industry to acknowledge good games and encourage their good qualities. Criticism should be welcome.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Action RPG at best, and definitely more Action than RPG. (the progression system, if it can be referred as that, is essentially upgrading your armor/weapon set)

If those can be considered RPG, than technically almost every game can be considered an RPG, even things like The Sims. (you make money, upgrade your family, your house,...)
Monster Hunter World has several skill trees, "classes", a progression system, and even an overall character level system of a sort. It's an RPG.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do you consider Dark Souls/Bloodborne an RPG?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this kind of mishmashing of genres is that it snubs the games that should be eligible for those awards, in favour of bigger titles that don't quite fit/compete in the other genre awards. And we're not talking about ambigiously-defined games--Detroit is as adventure game-y as you can get, and Monster Hunter is a full-on action game.

It's a bad practice all around.
Detroit is totally an RPG.
The term conjures up a very specific kind of game, and Detroit is not any of that.

It's an adventure game. (And do note that adventure games--especially modern ones--can have heavy roleplaying elements. That still doesn't make them an RPG.)

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Most action games are a broad amalgam of genres these days - neither MHW or Detroit have the depth of the CRPGs which first birthed the genre, but they borrow some parts to a greater or lesser degree and as the lines become blurred, so too will the strict delineation between genres. Look at Destiny: one part sci-fi shooter, one part ARPG-inspired loot-a-thon, one part MMO...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Great games but i wouldn't consider them role-playing games as they completely lack some sort of XP/leveling system.
Others have pointed this out already, but if that's your defining factor then I don't think you have a good definition of an RPG. What if Detroit added an XP system that levelled you up after completing certain actions and occasionally gave you a new ability? Would it be an RPG then?

I was always confused why pre-BotW Zelda titles (Zelda II aside) were often considered to be RPGs, but that was often more fans than press.
At least some of this was console war nonsense when fans compared the PlayStation and N64 libraries. The N64 had very few RPGs so to combat the suggestion that all the good RPGs were on PlayStation, OoT got magicked into an RPG. Possibly some of it was also due to the aesthetic similarities between LTTP and some of the RPGs Square made on SNES.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Genres used to be more strictly defined when storage limitations (cartridges, etc.), among other things used to dictate what you could put out there.

Are you making a racer or a sports game or a shooter? Well it was just strictly that.

Now genres are bleeding all over into each other. ALL games seem to have progression systems and such these days. Things that used to be strictly allocated to RPG territory.

No right or wrong to it. The medium and genres specifically are just morphing & evolving.

Crying about it just makes you an old man yelling at the clouds.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World isn't an RPG and I have no idea why people think it is.