• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I bought mine on release day and it's still my favourite current platform to play on. I still get a huge grin going everytime I boot up a new game.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
For me, the novelty isn't worth the hassle. I regularly have an itch to play VR after not playing for ages, then I put the headset on and try and play and remember why I stopped. VR is amazing, but the moves and headsets tracking is abysmal, it also limits your playspace so much and the headset itself is so blurry and the move controllers don't even have essential things like thumb sticks. It's really not a good enough experience.

How Sony hasn't revised these problems is beyond me, I want to play VR so bad I'm contemplating upgrading my PC and buying an Odyssey+ but PC brings its own set of hassles. So frustrated WMR headsets aren't supported on Xbox One X. Looking forward to next gen at least.

They haven't revised it yet because what you're asking for would all be expensive to implement, for both Sony and customers. They needed to make an affordable headset with currently available technology that worked with the base PS4. They'll revise it when PSVR2 comes out for PS5. It'll most likely have better tracking, new controllers with sticks (there's even rumors that the Dual Shock 5 might actually be a pair of controllers that work with VR while also having full normal game functionality), and 2-4x the resolution. Maybe even wireless capability. I can't wait.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Its all down to the games really. I used a lot in 2016 but I barely used it in 2017 and the first half of 2018 (I played on it like once every month). But once games like Moss, Firewall, Astro etc. came out I'm right back into it.

Anyone who gets a PSVR now has no excuses (except for lack of funds which I can understand) for not using their PSVR all the time. There's a lot of great games from varied genres on it now. The only thing it doesn't have is big 90+ MC AAA games (aside from Astro, Tetris and Rez), I feel like we wont get those until the next generation of the PSVR.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Still rocking hard a year later. Great time software side there are so many great games for it.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why there are always these kinds of questions about VR in particular.

When I played for the first time 2D sprites(80s), it was an amazing experience that naturally wear off a bit. But it was way better than everything before this novelty
When I played for the first time 3D polygons(90s), it was an amazing experience that naturally wear off a bit. But it was way better than everything before this novelty

There is no difference with VR.

Instead of concerning about how and when it will wear off(a bit), let's enjoy together the bigger step in gaming since 90s.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
I just got mine few weeks back so I am not sure about long term but I was so blown away by Astrobot. That game is a masterpiece and just an amazing experience that I have never had in gaming. if games like these keep coming I can see myself playing it for a long time. Its all about having good content just like any platform. But its a game changer. After playing VR games, playing non VR games feel so un-immersive and 'plain'. Wish I could play for a longer time on VR though. That's my biggest problem as shared by a lot of folks due to motion sickness but things are better as I play more. Try Astrobot and get your mind blown.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Got it more or less on day one, still play it as any other console I own... I never play more than 1 console at time (well sometime 1 portable and 1 home paired), so there is time where I play PSVR, times PSVITA, times PS4, 3DS...
I can't say I never really stopped playing VR, and I always get the wow factor from new games I get for it.

So, happy of my purchase at the end! Astrobot also was a revelation. :D

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
My brother used his for a month or 2 and it's been gathering dust since. Astrobot didn't really get him back into it but it's not really his type of game anyway. He plays his PS4 pretty regularly otherwise.

Full disclosure: i myself could give less than 2 shits about VR. Tried his once and never bothered again.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The novelty definitely wears off. But there is lots of novelty! There is always something new to try that isn't quite like what you have played before.

After Wipeout, I probably would not be that interested in playing another futuristic 3D racer. But after Wipeout, there was Tetris Effect and Superhot and Astrobot and Beatsaber......all completely different experiences that are fulfilling in different ways.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got one at launch and now use it pretty regularly. There was a 5 month period where I barely used it but recently there are so many games and sales its hard to not want to play. I just picked up Firewall, Creed, Raw Data, Thumper, and Battlezone. I really don't have to buy games for a while so the early 2019 drought ahead doesn't even bother me. I probably don't have to buy a game until late next year unless something crazy comes out.

The only weird part about VR is every game is an experience which is almost drug like. You start to wonder how everything would be in VR and start buying lots of games just to experience VR. This is why these "VR tech demo" like games kind of work because you can get curious. The only reason I had to stop buying games for a while because there were too many of those and I would buy them just for the experience it would be fleeting and I spent money on something I only had fun for a few days on.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Im day 1 owner of the PSVR and I really enjoy most games. Unfortunately, my major problem is that games still limit your movement a lot. I mean, I get it, some people get motion sickness, etc. But for us who don't, at times I feel they slow down the games too much. Also for me its really sickening the BLINKING TURN, that mess me up more than fluid motion. But then again, that is me.

Another thing that bothers me in VR games is the NO BODY syndrom some games have, that takes me away from the experience a lot. I prefer to have a body in the game than no body.

And I wish they would release a add-on or a new set of PS Move controllers with Joysticks, that would make the games way better. The Aim gun is really good, I can move freely and aim my gun with no problem, so WAYPOINT has been my favorite experience so far.

But another little thing is that after a while, you get tired of having the headset on, I can play, maybe 1 hr or 2, before I decide to take it off. I wish there was a way to make it more confortable/lighter.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been wanting a PSVR for a while, and I spotted the Mega Pack which has the PSVR/Camera and 5 games for Ā£229.99 which is pretty good.
However, I'm scared that the novelty will quickly wear off and it'll just go back onto the shelf for months until a hit game comes out.

I wanna know if it'll last. I'd love it if you could share your experiences and how frequently you use the headset! Much appreciated.

As long as you're not buying it because of its novelty, it won't be a novelty.
For example one of my wife's friends owns an iPad, she has not added any apps to it ever and it sits in her expensive car, it was bought as a novelty.

There's plenty of games available for it, if you know you'll play them buy it. If you like games that you can replay easily: racers, wave shooters, puzzlers, it's a good platform.

I would add if you're someone who plays games for 8 hours in one sitting while streaming them on Twitch, it might be too different from your normal play session. I usually play a couple of hours at a time, so a VR game session is similar to a flat screen game session ... more than a few hours in VR can mess with your head.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have been wanting a PSVR for a while, and I spotted the Mega Pack which has the PSVR/Camera and 5 games for Ā£229.99 which is pretty good.
However, I'm scared that the novelty will quickly wear off and it'll just go back onto the shelf for months until a hit game comes out.

I wanna know if it'll last. I'd love it if you could share your experiences and how frequently you use the headset! Much appreciated.

You absolutely should get one. Experiences on PSVR tend to be a bit more polished than many of the demos you will see in the Pc space, and there excellent ones at very nearly ever pricing tier.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it day one and still use it regularly. Although obviously not quite as much when I first got it where I basically lived in it. Finally got around to Skyrim VR last month and looking forward to playing Astro Bot. Only put it down recently coz of Smash Bros and Rockstar finally fixed my Red Dead 2 save so playing that too.

Oct 29, 2017
Resident evil 7 made me realise I'm a bloody wimp and I've struggled to go back :(

I pick it up now and again for Skyrim but nothing new interests me.. Borderlands just sounds like a lazy cash grab.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely should get one. Experiences on PSVR tend to be a bit more polished than many of the demos you will see in the Pc space, and there excellent ones at very nearly ever pricing tier.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic but I'm a big fan of your PS4 themes. I have the black hexagon one with multicolored lights and have had it on for like 2 years!

On-topic: I've had PSVR for 1 year and the novelty has not worn off. VR is really an outstanding experience, and the games are getting better and better. It's definitely an evolving space, and therefore the novelty doesn't wear off in my opinion.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Resident evil 7 made me realise I'm a bloody wimp and I've struggled to go back :(

I pick it up now and again for Skyrim but nothing new interests me.. Borderlands just sounds like a lazy cash grab.

I used to joke with my wife about playing silent hill and her being afraid. Back then, I wondered if there would ever come a day when gaming technology would legitimately frighten me. RE7 did. It put me inside that fucked up house. The second half of the game was slightly less scary.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I got the Core bundle a few weeks after launch and I still play stuff on it to this day. It's absurd how many PSVR games I own digitally because I always seem to grab one or two when they have a sale. Have I finished them all? Well, no, but that's kind of par for the course being habitually backlogged. It's silly, but even with a huge catalog, I find that sometimes I'll still fire up old stuff (like the Shark Attack in PSVR Worlds) now and again just to experience it another time. It's like that old phrase, "you never forget your first." That particular level/mode/whatever is what sold me on the headset at a Best Buy demo.

For me, PSVR was the first gaming experience in a long time that felt like I was playing games for the first time, so I guess that's probably why it hasn't lost its legs. Games like Astro Bot Rescue Mission are absolutely phenomenal because they bring a whole new dimension to a tried and true genre. You augment that with how much charm the game oozes and it's a prime example of how awesome VR can be.

If you can get the Moss and Astro Bot bundle that's been on sale for $200, get it.

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing that prevents me from using it more often is the sheer number of games I have in general. Other than that, it is a great platform that I can't wait to see expanded upon.

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
I bought one on launch day and it is still used, although infrequently since I have a family and using VR is very isolating. I'll break it out if the wife and kids are in bed and I still have a blast using it, but if there is anyone else in the room with me, it just seems awkward and very exclusionary.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Thread reminds me I should hook up my PS4 in the room I currently use, used PSVR once after getting it on Black Friday and enjoyed it up until the point I could feel motion sickness coming in, and then chose to finish Red Dead and then Pokemon Let's Go and Smash came in the mail, and then I had to change TV set ups.

I'll finally try to play RE7 too.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Obviously at some point you are used to the spectacle of being inside a game world, but even then its still awesome and it still enhances the gameplay experience in many games.
Take Wipeout VR, Astrobot or Beat Saber or many other games. What they deliver is genuinely good gameplay that simply can't be had like that without VR.
The main take away for me this year was that VR games can expand gameplay possibilities in a meaningful way thats mechanically superior to what we are used to, something I thought was never true about motion controls last gen.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I sometimes feel too lazy to put the thing on my head and it can be a pain to use during the summer heat but when you get past these issues you'll have an awesome time (as long as you pick a good game).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Personally it hasn't for me and anytime I think it might I get back in and I feel the magic all over again. Firewall Zero Hour is getting a new map tomorrow and I cannot wait to try it out. :)

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My roommate bought one. He never uses it unless he's showing it off to someone that comes over.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Thread reminds me I should hook up my PS4 in the room I currently use, used PSVR once after getting it on Black Friday and enjoyed it up until the point I could feel motion sickness coming in, and then chose to finish Red Dead and then Pokemon Let's Go and Smash came in the mail, and then I had to change TV set ups.

I'll finally try to play RE7 too.

Have fun, there are so many cool games for it! Just a friendly warning, if you're prone to motion sickness, start off with something else than RE7. Games with free first person locomotion can take a while to get used to.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I bought one on launch day and it is still used, although infrequently since I have a family and using VR is very isolating. I'll break it out if the wife and kids are in bed and I still have a blast using it, but if there is anyone else in the room with me, it just seems awkward and very exclusionary.

I understand this. But sometimes my wife wants to watch one of her shows that she knows I'm not interested in. If I want to game, the PSVR allows me to do that while she watches TV on another input. In this case, I don't put the headphones completely over my ears. We still chat but we are doing our own things.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
For me it wore off. I still get it out every so often to show people, but I never use it by myself. That will likely change when Ace Combat releases.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
As long as games for it keep coming out, I'll keep playing.
I once stopped playing for a few months, going back in was still incredible.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Novelty, no. I just personally have to be in the mood for VR to get everything setup. Usually when thinking about it I will just start playing a traditional game. Because of this, my play time has dropped significantly. I'm actually letting a friend borrow my unit (teehee) tonight so he can try it out for a bit before buying one of the discounted bundles.

Keep purchasing games when they go on sale though, need to catch up with my backlog.
Yeah I have the first version and so I have to keep unplugging the HDMI cord for 4K and VR mode. Besides that, yeah it still feels like a hassle to put on the headset at times.

I will say once I do play, the novelty and freshness is there all the time. Just wish it was more seamless and as clear as my 4K gameplay on regular screen.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Still using my PSVR (since launch) and it's still great. In fact it's better.... Simple because as time passes and devs get to grips with it, they make better and better games. Long may it continue...

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I haven't had mine a full month yet, but currently it takes up about 90% of my gaming time and I haven't even bought the games I'm truly itching to play yet: AstroBot, Moss, Beat Saber and Job Simulator.

My thought on the OP's question though is this... as long as Sony keeps releasing VR games worth playingā€”I'll keep playing. If 2018 was any indication for what's in store for the platform, we've only just scratched the surface on what's to come.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Release day purchase for me, probably haven't hooked it up in over a year. I'm lazy so the thought of bringing in out and hooking it up, hooking up the camera etc all just seems like too much trouble.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I understand this. But sometimes my wife wants to watch one of her shows that she knows I'm not interested in. If I want to game, the PSVR allows me to do that while she watches TV on another input. In this case, I don't put the headphones completely over my ears. We still chat but we are doing our own things.
Same. If you want to converse or have eye contact or use your phone or whatever it takes a second to lift up the headset.

It's really not that restrictive.

It's like with my wife... I use it but it's never like the first time.
šŸ˜‚

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The novelty is in the software. I haven't come close to exhausting the "wow" experience of feeling rooted in a new virtual space, as long as that space is compelling. There's only about 10 PSVR games that are must-haves, but they should be enough to last you most of a year if you don't binge.

Just had an idea: Return of Obra Dinn on PSVR?

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
I've had mine for two months, and I am still playing every day. Beat Saber is an essential part of my exercise routine now.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Bought mine in June and used it a little bit, sat around collecting dust for months, used it for Astro Bot, same thing afterwards, and now I'm using it a little bit more recently with some of the games that went on sale, Tetris Effect, etc. I don't use it regularly, but I'm glad I have it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Another VR user here since Oculus DK1...admittedly I took a long hiatus from the scene in general as I didn't feel as though the PCVR space was providing the kind of experiences I wanted in awhile (primarily more atmospheric, better world building), basically meaning I'm far less into VR for kinetic-like experiences (ie motion control games) than I am to be immersed and to want to get lost in a world. Due to all the incessant raving over Astro Bot and my own disillusionment and frustration over a lack of like experiences on the PC side I just picked up a PSVR the other day and WOW! I was simply blown away all over again with Astro Bot, it really is something special.

I was skeptical my years of VR use would muddy the experience but nope, I was grinning ear to ear with tears of joy over the ecstatic state it was inducing, the Mario 64 feeling really is one of the best things to compare it to. So this experience prompted me to go and get about half a dozen other exclusives promptly on the psn store lol...helps that a lot of them are deeply discounted currently what with the holiday sale. I say this is a great time to jump in OP due to the bundle sales plus the software on sale.

If you ever do feel the novelty and wow effect fade (and as others have pointed out this really varies person to person) I suggest taking a break for a few days. I've found this helps reset your brain's acclimation to VR so you can get that initial feeling all over again for the next time you jump in. Again, ymmv when it comes to that effect fading, it might not at all (at which I'm green with envy).

Another tip I can suggest to get you more immersed is a basic meditative exercise that helps improve focus in general and I've found is quite effective in VR...focus on a close by object while in VR, it can be a wall or any object really, though the more it jumps out to you as something aesthetically pleasing or interesting looking the better. As you focus on that object study the details of the texture while also focusing on its proximity to you (the feel of how far away it appears), focus on its depth, its 3D-ness, and place in the world relative to your position. The longer you focus on it the more tangible it seems, as though you can reach out and touch it, also imagining touching the object helps too. I've found that this simple focus exercise can help bring higher awareness to your immersion levels in VR, and well, your general environmental focus and awareness as well. Sorry for the rambling, hope that helps should you ever run into a lull in your time with VR.