• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ben Walker

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
England, United Kingdom
I have been wanting a PSVR for a while, and I spotted the Mega Pack which has the PSVR/Camera and 5 games for £229.99 which is pretty good.
However, I'm scared that the novelty will quickly wear off and it'll just go back onto the shelf for months until a hit game comes out.

I wanna know if it'll last. I'd love it if you could share your experiences and how frequently you use the headset! Much appreciated.

Oct 30, 2017
The novelty to me has not worn off after a month. The effect always blows me away whenever I put it on. It's just that the discomfort becomes too much after a short while to me (though I seem to be in a minority).

I highly doubt that I'll still have mine this time next year. Have yet to play the very best games though and will do so before selling it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It will for some people, it won't for others. I am still impressed by the "experiences" I have in VR. I am a day one adopter. I will occasionally drift away from VR, but then I will pick it back up and be wowed all over again. Also, some experiences are perpetually jaw-dropping. Resident Evil 7 was still blowing me away hours in.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I use it less frequently than I did to start with for sure, but it has no less of an effect on me whenever I do. Each time it's better than I remember and I enjoy catching up on any new releases since I last played. Love having one.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
VR user since the Oculus DK1 in 2015. Increíble experience still and super excited to see what will come in the future.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bought it at launch, played the games that existed then, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. Didn't use it at all for 9 months, and eventually sold it. Perhaps it was due to lack of games, but I always found the setup to cumbersome. So many cords, things that you needed to coordinate.

Will not buy any other VR equipment until:

• Much much lighter and slimmer
  • No cords whatsoever

Nov 30, 2017
I've used mine since launch. Not every day of course but anytime something new comes out I want to try I fire it up.

I guess it's just like a console. I don't always play games on the PS4 itself.

We just got done with Astrobot, daughter plays JS regularly, and the next thing I'll personally get it Ace Combat

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought a PSVR at launch. I use it like 3 times per year or something. The novelty wore out fast. Also:

- I'm too prone to motion sickness to experience games with artificial locomotion without all the shitty compromises that ruin the immersion.
- I need my glasses in order to see anything, and it's not super comfortable, even though PSVR is supposedly the best one on the market in that regard.

VR still has major accessibility issues that need work.

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Got one at launch, the first times are magical, but i still buy games for it and i love it, in fact, the games are getting better.
If you get one now, you have a amazing existing catalog to enjoy, with most games dirt cheap now.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Novelty, no. I just personally have to be in the mood for VR to get everything setup. Usually when thinking about it I will just start playing a traditional game. Because of this, my play time has dropped significantly. I'm actually letting a friend borrow my unit (teehee) tonight so he can try it out for a bit before buying one of the discounted bundles.

Keep purchasing games when they go on sale though, need to catch up with my backlog.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Novelty, no. I just personally have to be in the mood for VR to get everything setup. Usually when thinking about it I will just start playing a traditional game. Because of this, my play time has dropped significantly. I'm actually letting a friend borrow my unit (teehee) tonight so he can try it out for a bit before buying one of the discounted bundles.

Keep purchasing games when they go on sale though, need to catch up with my backlog.
What's so difficult about the setup. I just put the headset on and run through a quick alignment. Takes like 1 min.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only gotten better for me since games have gotten better on the platform. I adore my PSVR a year after getting it.

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017
Bought mine about a year ago for parties and didn't play it much myself because I thought my poor eyesight caused too many issues. Then I found out about IPD calibration and everything changed.

Ok, some things changed. I still mostly played the latest release (SUPERHOT, Moss, Wipeout) intermittently, with nothing holding my attention too long. That's entirely shifted with Creed, Tetris Effect, Astrobot, and especially Beat Saber. I pick it up nearly everyday and I'm even considering more substantial games like Skyrim and Borderlands 2. It feels like PSVR has finally hit its stride.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It wore off for awhile but mainly because I didn't have a lot of games and finished it all. With the amazing games this year it's hard to decide between big flat games and VR gems.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I've had an Oculus for about a year, and while I've enjoyed it quite a bit, it's just such a pain to hook up, between the sensors and the cables, that it mostly sits unused in its box.

If I had more room to work with, I'm sure that I'd just leave it plugged in.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean just like anything it's more impressive the first few times but it still feels a lot more engaging than playing a game on a screen far away. Also depends what games you get and if they do new things.

Oct 29, 2017
Sold mine after a couple of months. Once the initial novelty wears off (quickly), it just became a chore to use and I didn't find it worth the additional time and effort to set up.

It's worth trying, particularly if you have a friend etc who has it. But it's not a great purchase for me.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Sold mine after a couple of months. Once the initial novelty wears off (quickly), it just became a chore to use and I didn't find it worth the additional time and effort to set up.

It's worth trying, particularly if you have a friend etc who has it. But it's not a great purchase for me.

What games did you got to try before you sold it?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For it at launch. The effect definitely doesn't hit me as hard as it used to. But I still use it regularly because the games are fun.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Still a lot of fun a few weeks after I got it. Nice change of pace from the usual and I really dig the immersion.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got it around launch, used it on and off then stopped using for over a year. Recently got newer games like Astro Bot, Moss, Creed, Superhot and I am having a blast.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
However, I'm scared that the novelty will quickly wear off and it'll just go back onto the shelf for months until a hit game comes out.
You have to be willing to try a slew of small titles in between the "hit" games. PSVR definitely has some hits but the majority are low profile games in the eyes of mainstream reviewers so you won't be able to rely on them at all to discover the VR gems. You're going to need to follow a few VR YouTube channels that literally cover everything that comes out for VR.

One I follow is PSVR Without Parole. The channel only has about 28k followers but he uploads plenty of reviews & streams along with a "Coming this week on PSVR" video every Sunday.

We rave on and on about certain hits since they are warranted but there are so many more. But then the next comment is usually about how they don't want to get it for so few titles without considering the vast majority that we didn't mention. It'd take a while. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't list my 40 to 60 VR titles at the moment but I will edit and do so when I get the chance.

I'm a Day 1 adopter and I rarely go a week or two without playing one of the many VR games I have. I haven't been exclusively VR since there are still plenty of great flat screen games to play but I've leaned toward trying more VR indies more so than flat screen indies since PSVR came out.

At the end of the day, it'll only get as much use as you're willing to put into it. Hopefully by "hits", you don't just mean 80 to 90 meta but also willing to try 70 to 79 since that is still in the realm of "good" by the actual review scale and not by Era review scale.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edit: Alright...so here's my list.
Courtesy of PSNProfiles, my PSVR timeline is as follows...

October 13th 2016(day it released) to December 2016 - 1) Playroom VR, 2) Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live, 3) Hustle Kings, 4) Rigs : Mechanized Combat League, 5) Playstation VR Worlds, 6) Batman Arkham VR...

2017 games - 7) Robinson: The Journey, 8) Fated: The Silent Oath, 9) Dexed, 10) Summer Lesson, 11) Superhot VR,
12) Farpoint, 13) 100 ft Robot Golf, 14) Starblood Arena, 15) Race The Sun, 16) Special Delivery, 17) Thumper,
18) Megaton Rainfall, 19) EVE: Valkyrie Warzone, 20) Infinite Minigolf, 21) Catlateral Damage, 22) Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission, 23) Accounting+, 24) Windlands, 25) Monster of the Deep(FFXV VR game), 26) Skyrim VR

2018 games - 27) Honor and Duty: Arcade Edition, 28) Sprint Vector, 29) Archangel, 30) One Piece: Grand Cruise,
31) 2MD: VR Football, 32) Tumble VR, 33) Floor Plan: Hands On Edition, 34) Tiny Trax, 35) Voltron VR Chronicles,
36) Sea of Memories, 37) The Invisible Hours, 38) Transference, 39) Astrobot: Rescue Mission, 40) Bow to Blood, 41) Firewall, 42) Light Tracer, 43) Apex Constuct, 44) Crisis on the Plent of the Apes VR, 45) Cold Iron, 46) Mortal Blitz,
47) Rec Room, 48) Tetris Effect, 49) Torn, 50) Deracine, 51) Borderlands VR....

As I said, you'll get as much use as you want to put into it. I've enjoyed the past 2 years and looking forward to many more. The "novelty" hasn't worn off yet.

Last edited:

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
To some extent, but that's made up for with being able to handle more without getting motion sickness.

I went a while without using mine, but with recent releases like Astro Bot and Beat Saber, I'm glad I've kept it around.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think PSVR is somewhat more limited in real gameplay potential than PCVR, so I could see the wow factor wearing off when running into limitations of the tracking implementation and generally less software diversity (no VRChat for example).

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Still impresses me when I boot up a (good) new game or return to it after not using it for a short period.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I have been wanting a PSVR for a while, and I spotted the Mega Pack which has the PSVR/Camera and 5 games for £229.99 which is pretty good.

I wanna know if it'll last. I'd love it if you could share your experiences and how frequently you use the headset! Much appreciated.
Did you end up getting it, OP?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I haven't touched mine in like 9 months tbh. If a game is VR only these days I'm pretty likely to just skip it.

EDIT, for my buddy RagdollRhino: "mine" in the above post refers to my VR headset, though not to an particular specific brand of headset. I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up any brand of VR headset personally, although certainly get a second opinion since I'm probably in the minority.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Got mine about a month ago and its all about games. It's not so much a novelty. Theres a bunch of good games and im working thru them.

If a game i want to play has a vr version, its probably the best version so I'm going to use it for that of course.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every couple of months I go on my VR binge. It certainly hasn't lost it's charm... I just don't play it as often.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I leave the breakout box and camera set up so it is just a matter of connecting the headset and I'm ready to go.

Doing this, I've found I'm much more likely to play a VR game when the mood strikes me. If I had to reconnect everything every time, I know I would use it less.

The same thing holds for conventional gaming with me. I'm much more likely to play whatever disk is in the console or a digital download than I am to swap disks. So making it convenient helps me keep VR in the rotation.

One word of advice, even if you prefer physical releases for your conventional flat screen gaming, think about downloading your VR titles. It is a royal pain to swap disks once you have the headset and headphones on and have gotten comfortable.

Edit: Forgot to respond to the OT...I picked up the PSVR on day 1 and I play it as much or more now than I did then. Plenty of good games available for it if you find yourself in the mood for it. Sometimes I just want to veg and play some flat-screen games. Other times, I want a more immersive experience that VR brings.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Bought the night of the Pro's release. Yesterday I rocked out to Beat Saber. It definitely does not get old. I'm looking forward to the PSVR2.

Oct 28, 2017
I go through waves. I won't play it for a while, but then a sale will come along and I'll pick up a bunch of great games that released over the previous months. Also what never wears off is the fun of introducing VR to new players.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I got the PSVR day one and I think for two years it was the worst piece of gaming hardware I ever bought. This year we have more quality games. Astro Bot, Tetris Effect and Beat Saber are among the best games I played this generation. And I guess, I can recommend the VR headset now. But the hype got a bit out of control, I think. Most games are quite forgettable or very short. Too often I find myself in a VR mood but can't find a decent game on the store and we don't have many announcements for 2019.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've had a PSVR (and Vive) since launch. This year has been the best year for PSVR.

It's more like a platform than it is a peripheral. And t's not a novelty any more than any platform is a novelty. It does have dry spells (like a lot of platforms do early in their lifespans), but there continues to be plenty of great software.

The one downside to it is the tech isn't currently quite as "pick up and play" as just grabbing a controller. It doesnj't take a ton of set up, but it does take more initiative and therefore I have to kind of force myself to "get in the headset" sometimes. But I'm almost always glad I did.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
You definitely don't get wowwed quite as much as the first time, but it's still pretty mindblowing every time imo. I pick up my VR every month or so and really enjoy it.

crustybooger

Nov 19, 2017
got the skyrim bundle last black friday for super cheap. Probably used it for a total of 30 hours before I gave up. Just wasn't meant for me, the motion sickness never went away.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I bought it at launch. Still find myself playing it a few times a month. Mostly Beat Saber this month.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018

A lot of dedicated PSVR fans here will insist it is the future of gaming.

In my opinion, if it is something you know you want, then likely the novelty won't wear off. But before you buy, definitely try.

VR might give you motion sickness. Some folk are very susceptible to it. So be sure that isn't you.

Play RE7 or Borderlands 2 and compare the graphics to their console counterparts. If you don't get motion sick, and you don't mind the visible downgrade in graphics then it's totally the right system for you.

My kid got bored of it pretty quick, but I still play every so often.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For me, the novelty isn't worth the hassle. I regularly have an itch to play VR after not playing for ages, then I put the headset on and try and play and remember why I stopped. VR is amazing, but the moves and headsets tracking is abysmal, it also limits your playspace so much and the headset itself is so blurry and the move controllers don't even have essential things like thumb sticks. It's really not a good enough experience.

How Sony hasn't revised these problems is beyond me, I want to play VR so bad I'm contemplating upgrading my PC and buying an Odyssey+ but PC brings its own set of hassles. So frustrated WMR headsets aren't supported on Xbox One X. Looking forward to next gen at least.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
There's never been anything that keeps being as exciting as the first (few) time(s) you try it. That said, I have my PSVR since launch and I'm using it more often now than i did in the first year, simply because good games keep coming out. No slowing down in 2019 either it seems.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It wore off for a bit but Astro Bot and Beat saber has definitely pulled me back in. Great games, great experiences!