• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mgbokjJcom1rap265o1_500.gif

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly burst out laughing at the title alone. MK is about as childish an edgy as shit gets, its got nothing on Game of Thrones. Like, what are you smoking?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Lore-wise, there are some interesting things that happen in the story mode and world to work with. With some creative writing you could put together a compelling TV show. The Castlevania series is a good example of this.

That said, I can't see anything from the MK universe having enough appeal to earn a big budget TV series though.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
No this could never work or happen realistically. Definitely not in a way that would make it recognizably Mortal Kombat to the game players. They would have to basically tell a story in the MK universe that may or may not have any game characters cameo. At that point why even bother, just to say they did?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lore-wise, there are some interesting things that happen in the story mode and world to work with. With some creative writing you could put together a compelling TV show. The Castlevania series is a good example of this.

That said, I can't see anything from the MK universe having enough appeal to earn a big budget TV series though.

The Castlevania show works as well as it does because it doesn't really give a shit about about the games and does its own things with the basic premise and takes bits and pieces of the lore and does its own thing.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
The Castlevania show works as well as it does because it doesn't really give a shit about about the games and does its own things with the basic premise and takes bits and pieces of the lore and does its own thing.

That approach could honestly work for MK too. Just bring over characters like Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That approach could honestly work for MK too. Just bring over characters like Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion.

Its possible but unless they're getting someone like Warren Ellis to take the helm then I wouldn't have much faith it just turns into martial arts guys fighting each other to solve their problems.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't think so. I mean, besides the fact that we're comparing a series of novels to a series of games (from a genre infamous for bad / weird stories). I actually don't think MK would lend itself to a GoT style show all that well.

I don't think you'd get much political intrigue since the Outworld vs. Earthrealm conflict is really straightforward. And when it comes to character deaths, MK is actually a lot safer than you'd expect. The series gives off a violent image but when it comes to the story, you'd be surprised at how conservative the games get. The original stretch of MK1 to 6 had maybe 3 deaths that mattered (Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Shao Kahn) and none of these stuck (even Liu Kang eventually returned as a zombie)

It's only the most recent games that have upped the kill count... except the games have also introduced much time travel shenanigans (i.e. MKX killed off Baraka, MK11 immediately had him come back) so it's kind of hard to say it's impactful. The worst it got was what happened in MK9. Even then, REVENANTS. MK is very superhero comic booky tbh.

I wouldn't be against any MK series, but a GoT style one doesn't seem like a good fit. MK is just not that kind of story

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I love MK so damn much and as much as I love the Lore, it won't work. It's convoluted and complicated, particularly once you get to Deception and Armageddon times.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The story's not built to be coherent. It's built to be open ended. That's why all the endings are actually canon

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Not even The Lord of the Rings will match the appeal of Game of Thrones with the general viewing public. As for Mortal Kombat, it would work rather well as an R Rated animation akin to Castlevania.

Oct 27, 2017
MK is a bit too cheesy to work for most people.

People like us will love it but I doubt old people or those with no gaming history would care.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
MK is a relic of the 90s. It will never translate into something that can be as phenomenal as GoT.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Absolutely yes :). And it would make one hell of a success with the great variety of MK's gore and people will finally begin to appreciate brutalities, fatalities and talk about all of it as much as they'd talk about GOT at home, offices and everywhere...

WTF man..That weed must be doing some weird shit to your brain lmao.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MasterYoshi

I think if they took the best elements of the different ways we have seen the first Tournament play out, they could totally adapt that into a single season. My biggest problem with all media (including the games) that go over the first tournament, there is zero structure to who fights who (MK9 being the worst offender imo). I'd want that to be ironed out.

I think it can work, but you'd need a solid team of writers to take a look at the extensive lore that MK has and try to trim it all together to make it easily digestable for mainstream audiences. You need a solid script and plan. Johnny Cage would be great for the fish outta water character initially as Liu already knows whats up and Sonya doesnt give af 'cause shes after Kano. Johnny is the character we can relate to because he's in the same boat as the audience. He can have bits of the lore explained to him by ppl that know better.

You'd also need a cast full of charisma and those same cast members having the ability to fight. A competent director...

....yea....it can work.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Not even Witcher could do it and it was a good attempt. MK is too deep in the silly characters, ninjas, monsters and magic.

Game of Thrones had the perfect balance of politics and fantasy.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
As big of Game of Thrones is a huge ask

That said, with the right writers and fight choreography it could be an insanely popular show. The fan base is already there

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Nope, and I doubt we see anything as big as Game of Thrones for at least another decade.

I think a better question would be what existing IPs could possibly enter the same stratosphere as the GoT zeitgeist?

The only possible gaming franchises that I perceive with potential to become ever so slightly close (and even then it'd be extremely distant) would be masterful adaptations of Mass Effect, Halo, or Elder Scrolls. MK wouldn't have a chance.

Even outside of gaming, it's a struggle to think of possible matches for GoT. Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, and anything Star Wars will be big but won't do it. A spectacular Harry Potter series could possibly be the closest thing, but even then I doubt it would match it.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
No but it can be a success in its own right with the right creatives behind it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Meh people in this thread are so elitist with their "Lol Fighting game story" comments. Just take a look at Castlevania. With good writers and enough freedom anything can become really good. The lore and characters are good and theres some interesting bits in the story that could remain.

That said I don't think it can reach the same level as GOT. It would need a lot of new characters to be introduced to perform ceratin roles that none of the existing cast do. And it wouldn't really feel like Mortal Kombat at that point.

I honestly burst out laughing at the title alone. MK is about as childish an edgy as shit gets, its got nothing on Game of Thrones. Like, what are you smoking?

The same thing the writers of GOT were smoking for the last few seasons.

Nov 8, 2017
For me it would be more appealing because I found Game of Thrones to be dull as fuck. At least Mortal Kombat would have characters that I actually know and could tell apart.

For the masses though? No way.

Oct 26, 2017
lol

no.
i really don't get how people don't get this. how are we surprised when well-written shit gets adapted and gets popular and turns to shit when they go off-script? GoT was destined to turn to shit when they ran out of books. no one gives a fuck about MK's story so it will never be a GoT, even if they get a fucking auteur to make the best fight scenes since the raid (which would still blow it the fuck up but nowhere near GoT).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No, MK is too goofy for that.

Plus there are no quiet moments in MK. I feel like most people got hooked by GOT by how it handled the transition from it's quiet moments to big singular momentous climaxes. MK is all about 1 on 1 confrontations that would last a considerable amount of time. It's not the same thing.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmfao this is the most gamer thread ever created, possibly.

Short answer: no

Long answer: fuck no.

There was more to GoT than tits and blood and shocking twists for the sake of it. at least when it was good.

josaka

Dec 20, 2017
I think MK Legacy is about as good as you can hope for, and 2 seasons of that is likely enough.

I mean, the games haven't a whole lot of wonderful lore to them as it is.