• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the last movie you watched pass the Bechdel Test?

• 1) At least two named women in it.

Votes: 134 13.9%
  • 2) Two or more named women talk to each other.

Votes: 81 8.4%
  • 3) Two or more named women talk to each other about something other than a man.

Votes: 484 50.2%
  • No (fails test).

Votes: 266 27.6%

• Total voters

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
Joker and then rewatched Battleship Potemkin. Neither of these pass. One of them is excellent, one of them is a solid 6/10.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Joker, and the answer is no. Well there are more than two women in the film, but I don't think I recall a single scene where two women even talk to each other.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Booksmart. Passes so hard. And genuinely good as well. Takes the Superbad premise and runs with it with better written characters and supporting cast.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Yes: An animated Yeti movie called "Abominable" (2019). Not particularly good, but the protagonist does interact with her family and the villain, whom are all females.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a couple weeks since I watched a movie, but I think the last one I saw was Network from 1976. The network's head of programming is a woman and talks to other women about TV stuff (potential show pilots, etc.)

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
Midsommar, and while I guess it passes technically, none of the women the lead actress spoke to were anything more than one line Extras.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and no, it doesn't. But that's alright, because it's still the greatest romance movie ever made.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toy Story 4 --I want to say it passes because of the main villain being a girl doll and Bo Peep having a lot of dialogue. But I'm not sure if 2 or more are talking to each other. It was mostly talking to Woody.

Oh actually, if you include the human characters I believe it does pass. Especially with Bonnie and her Mom talking to each other.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked the sexy lamp test better, simply because some absolutely sexist films can pass this test.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time, don't think any of the movies passed.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The Lobster

Despite the entire plot of the movie revolving around coupling, it passes due to at least one convo I can recall.
I don't know if I actually recommend watching it though...

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Hell House LLC

Yes, because the entire film is framed by an interview between a female documentary maker and the main female lead. That's about all it has going for it, though. Rest of the film is typical horror guff.

Unless...
She's not actually human any longer, or possessed, the film doesn't make it clear.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched The Art of Self Defense and while I do believe it definitely failed this test, the entire movie is about toxic masculinity so I think it deserves a pass.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
No, the mother and daughter in Sinister only talk about the dad or with the dad, I think.

Before that I watched The Exorcist which passes easily.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah, but it was a re-watch of Annihilation and while they had many conversations about things other than a man, considering the whole mcguffin of the movie was for the protagonist to find out what happened to her husband...

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Joker - There's more than two women in it but nope.

Day of the Dead (1985) - There's literally only one woman in the entire film (unless you include the zombies then there are tons) so it fails hardcore. She is the protagonist though.