• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Unless you're fighting one of those optional bosses, you got no business dying in regular encounters.

Certainly not enough for it to get "frustrating".

EDIT: There's a good chance you probably missed a couple along the way. There's usually one in every 'main' area.
There's a lot of times I got one-shot by enemies that spawned behind me, even while moving. I beat the game, but never figured out a way to get stronger defense. It was so frustrating, especially near the end. Really soured my enjoyment of the game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was only mildly annoyed with that when I had to retry the anchor boss. The objectives and checkpoints are laid out pretty kindly so even when I got into a random encounter running somewhere I'd just skip it or clear it for upgrade mats however my mood was.

Even the run to the anchor boss is like maybe a minute at the longest.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think the checkpoints are that bad, at least with regards to the main quest line. Some of the combat encounters are bullshit though (Hedron chamber is the worst culprit) and could use some checkpointing through the more drawn out fights with numerous phases/waves of enemies.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Never once did a checkpoint issue cross my mind. Never felt I had to travel too far back to a boss... but most of the ones I had trouble with were around a minute or two away.. The map could be a lot clearer though, but even then one gets used to it.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it yesterday, and my gripes with check pointing were mostly near the end of the game. One of the last gameplay sequences (that I didn't realize was so close to the end) in particular was super frustrating and made me second guess how much overall I enjoyed the game.

I'd say if you're frustrated that early on, bail on it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
For me, the first miniboss was the hardest thing in the entire game (Sergeant whatshisname), since you don't have any abilities.
After that, it only got easier (and I did finish everything in the game including all the optional bosses).

Stack Launch damage and you're golden.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Upgrade throw all the way. Control points don't "get better" but you'll have more of them the more you play and it'll be easier to progress.