• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do think it's very odd that there's the potential for huge, massive product reveals in the middle of what bills itself as a night to commemorate and honor achievements in the industry.

It feels like a bit of a distasteful content contrast to me personally. The Game Awards does have some genuinely great moments — both in terms of reveals and in terms of speeches from developers and performers. But I feel like they don't work together well. I'd much rather have both elements broken out into completely separate shows, like turning ALL of the reveals into sort of a "pre-show" or "post-show" and then letting the awards actually be its own long-running segment that actually gives developer and performer wins a chance to actually get time to breathe.

I can't recall The Game Awards actually having an Oscars moment where things get hurried along somewhat disgracefully during a speech or anything, but I feel like there is definitely a time table to keep with all of the ads being thrown into the mix and I don't think the devs and performers are really getting a chance to express their feelings toward the wins — and failing that, I just think it's super odd to get a new console reveal or to skip giving awards stage time entirely in favor of cramming more ads in, and sometimes those ads have more preamble and build-up than the awards themselves.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
I try to give it a chance every year and im like this is boring af and just Geoff inflating his ego. 🙄

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Lets be real 90% of the people complaining about TGA wouldn't watch it if it actually became a pure awards show that highlighted people in the industry like they claim they want. The announcements ARE why people tune in, and why TGA are growing compared to the Oscars and other award type shows.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Game criticism is tied at the hip to access journalism and milking exclusive reveals for views and ads, so the premier critical award show being half advertisement is fitting.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Film not being a secret announcement based industry might actually prevent shows like the Oscars from having continuing appeal into the future. Ratings are down and I'm not sure how they'll recover

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
It's purely a marketing thing, ala Kids Choice Awards.

This. The industry already has numerous awards shows like DICE and the GDCA/IGF awards at GDC which have been going on for far longer and likely carry more prestige for industry members. If you want to watch something akin to the Oscars or Grammys for video games then catch a stream of one of these shows next year.

TGAs exist as an "E3 in December" to tee up the first half of the upcoming year with something resembling an awards show attached to it.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
My hope when they started this was that the folks who made the games, and felt comfortable doing so, would get more exposure. I hoped we would see some new faces that we didn't typically see at E3, because accepting an award is different than pitching a trailer.

Once I saw that all people care about are announcements, and that the same faces from E3 were accepting the awards, the whole thing lost its appeal.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They've always been a failure as an awards show. It doesn't matter whether it's VGX, the Spike Video Game Awards or its current incarnation, its very best has been on the borderline of watchable. At its best, it does enough to distract you from its shameless advertising and corporate friendliness of the show and Geoff Keighley (I'm sure Geoff is a perfectly nice guy, for the record, but he's always struck me as someone unwilling to push back against the industry's worst practices, especially when it comes to their marketing, like Schreier, Klepek and other journalists have done). At its worst (VGX), it's obnoxious, unwatchable garbage that even G4 would be embarrassed to air.

It may as well be called The Game Advertisements, because that's what the show is, at its heart.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they don't matter. The awards have never felt important or interesting, and yes, I do feel the announcements are an implicit acknowledgement of this failure. But on the other hand, anything in the realm of the Oscars feels a little old hat these days anyway, so I'm not sure that's a big problem.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I think it gives a reason to watch. Award shows are all the same- some famous person gets up and gives an award to something that had a big marketing budget- either to get an award or generally. Some make jokes, others talk about hardships and changes in the industry, some mention how that night is for all their fans. And then the award people get up and give their thanks to family and friends and pets and gods and what not. They get played off and you go to the next part. Throw in some musical performances and a skit or two to break up the incredibly boring show.

Announcements at least add something else. If I were to shake things up, if a game was gonna sweep a bunch of awards just announce all of them at the same time. Do game of the year by eliminating contenders as the show goes on. Add some comedy skits by some actual talented gamers. Get interesting interviews beforehand with developers and get behind the scenes stuff to show off. Get a comedian to awkwardly sit on a couch and do an after you've won interview that's at least entertaining. Get farther away from the boring parts that become background noise.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I would watch the Oscars if they had world premier movie trailers.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a failure on its own merits, it's not the show's fault that it has to panhandle for cash and attention like this, it's predominantly a symptom of the industry's failure to take itself seriously.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I actually am into the awards themselves but I am primarily there for the announcements and I think that's ok.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like awards shows as they are are unsustainable. Why would I watch a 3-4 hour awards show when I can catch the highlights and speeches on Youtube the next day?

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the show is largely funded by the marketing departments of studios that want a good platform to show off upcoming projects. It feels like it's a win/win situation with this show.

We as consumers get announcements and some entertainment to look forward to, and people in the industry get a night of recognition I'm sure they appreciate. As long as money is being made everyone wins.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It looks like the developers whose games win care about the awards, at least a little bit. And if that is true, I don't think that TGA is a failure even as an award show.

May 15, 2019
The show is blatantly just an advertising vehicle, how many times do they come back from a performance or trailer and rattle of a list of awards that were given off camera? Being an awards show is clearly not the focus.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
source.gif

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The industry gets recognized in a general manner and viewers get a look at new stuff in the works, with a bit of everything for everyone, so even of you look at it like a "giant ad", if you're interested in what's being sold, why would it be a failure?

Awards in themselves, no matter the industry are kinda useless. Do you really need validation for your favorite game of the year? I don't really care about that. It may be fun to joke about on a forum that Bloodborne was robbed, but it serves no real purpose.

I'm sure it's nice for the people getting recognized, however. So yeah, a bit of everything for everyone. Viewers, devs, and publishers advertising.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
It needs the announcements because the awards themselves don't really affect game sales (unless a break out title like Hades wins) in the way that Oscar and the awards season can give certain films a boost and for a while became the necessary for Hollywood to produce any adult drama.

i don't think the awards categories are that great though.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
The announcements help but I really love seeing stuff like the lifetime achievement awards going to true icons in the industry and finally giving them the recognition they deserve. Seeing smaller game devs light up when their work is recognized is also awesome to see.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda but it 's not a bad thing. Without any announcements you 're left with an Oscars equivalent but with much less legitimacy and legacy.

And the Oscars viewership and relevancy is continually declining year by year, so...

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
To be fair Keighley did a great job with the recent and past Game Awards events. I think TGA is the perfect event to end a year of gaming, it gives recognition to the games released that year and the developers behind those games then it provides glimpses of the future through reveals and trailers. For me it is right for what it is.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind announcements and trailers, I hate commercial ads but I understand that geoff needs to pay for the massive productions. However, I really don't think the bits where developers talk about their games after they announce them, are necessary at all! Especially If it means that some awards are given off screen.
I refuse to believe that Geoff really thinks that these stuff add to his show and viewers demand it. And it is not like developers insist on it or otherwise they wouldn't show their games.
I don't get it

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Personally, I only tune in to see announcements and stuff.

I don't need to have my work validated by others in public to know that I have done a good job. My team is already thankful for the work that I do, and that is all that I need to know that I am on the right track. Thus I do not care whether my games or any other games win any awards ever.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say. I feel like Geoff would want all these reveals even if they weren't necessary, so it isn't clear to me that they are necessary just because he has them.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
That's a fair point op and I see where you are coming from. I guess the oscars don't show new trailers or drop news on new films at their award ceremony? It kind of takes away the hype from the award winners when there is other bigger news dropping.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Many people tune into The Game Awards to see game announcements. It feels like hype/interest in the show is almost entirely predicated on these trailers, while the awards themselves are a secondary attraction at best.

Compare TGA to The Oscars. The Oscars command a broad audience every year almost strictly due to interest in the awards. Sure there are some live musical numbers and the like, but many people really care about what films and filmmakers win those golden statuettes.

Would you care about the game awards at all without the announcements? If you answered "no", how do you feel about that? Do you wish there was an awards show where the games and creators being honored were more of a draw? Does it say anything about the industry and medium as a whole?

I mean, when you realize that it was never actually about the awards and is, at its most innocent, a celebration of "gaming culture", then you realize that it's a massive success simply from the fact that it retains people's attention.

But let's get real here, it was always a marketing platform and people watch it out of excitement for what they'll be able to buy in the future. Its a money making ploy.

All that being said, fuck the Oscars.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
No, it means TGA manages to be something different from your other Awards Shows, most people regard whatever wins TGA as THE GOTY, the presence of announcements only makes it a more interesting show.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I don't mind that The Game Awards have trailers, it adds a little bit extra to proceedings but with a few exceptions the trailers aren't that interesting and are forgotten within the blink of an eye, all adding to the excessive bloat the show has grown into. Last year had the Xbox announcement but the only other one I remember was Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez going in stage to show the trailer for the awful Fast and Curious game.

Doesn't help that some of the actual awards are completely sidelined and either not shown or having multiple winners rattled off in 20 seconds. Seems to be a case of having their cake and eating it too to me - maybe don't call them The Game Awards if they're going to be almost completely forgotten about the whole night.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes.

Barely anyone seems to care about any of the awards outside of GOTY maybe. And even then, it's all propped up by celebrities from OTHER industries constantly.

It doesn't help that most of the awards are just skimmed through like a minor bump in the road.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
NOT at all, it's a show at the end of the day. Developers get an award for their work and that should be praised. Announcements are the cherry on top. Anyone who thinks differently needs to log off ERA and visit the world outside for an hour or two. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Don't really care what +/-90 media outlets think is the best game in each category...
Its the new E3, hence New Game Announcements it is for me... Excited what else will come on next gen in 2021 and hope for a BOTW2 trailer

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
To the people saying yes...how do you propose they fund something on the scale of The Game Awards otherwise?

It's a necessary component. The Oscars and Grammys have ads too btw (in the form of traditional ad breaks), which isn't really possible for a streamed event.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Gaming industry lacks the star power of other entertainment industries like movies and music.

No one is tuning in to see video game industry people. There is a reason why Geoff is getting Hollywood people to show up.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
None gives a shit about the awards except for the development team and the publishers. We are here for the announcements and hype.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I don't even care about the announcements, I can read about them here instead of wasting my time with an overly long show.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
To the people saying yes...how do you propose they fund something on the scale of The Game Awards otherwise?

It's a necessary component. The Oscars and Grammys have ads too btw (in the form of traditional ad breaks), which isn't really possible for a streamed event.
Yes they have adverts but they're also not the focus of the whole show.

As I said earlier I don't mind that trailers are part of it and funding needs to come from somewhere if it wants to be as glitzy as it wants to be. Bit maybe the argument is to make it slightly less over the top. It's also an incredibly long event, maybe reducing the run time isn't a bad thing. Maybe take away the 'devs talking about just announced game' parts too as it just amounts to more PR and marketing fluff and your don't really get anything interesting or relevant in those sections.

And possibly focus just a tiny bit more in the awards - for a show called The Game Awards, the time allotted to them is absolutely miniscule. Five awards shoehorned into 20 second segments, and now here's the next announcement. Just take the Awards part out of the event name and call it 'The Gamies' or something, maybe Geoff can at least be honest with himself that the awards are little more than an after thought rather than the focus than the title suggests.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
The Game Awards are fucking great.

I love the awards. I love the reveals. I love that it's a big communal celebration of gaming. I love that it's got a real 'homemade' wholesomeness to it and isn't an overproduced wankfest like the Oscars are.

The constant snark from the joyless contingent never fails to amuse me.

Apr 26, 2020
Also its the only award show that is going that I think is gaining viewership each year

The classic Oscar, Emmy, Golden Globe award format is a dying format

Well you are probably right. It is the only GLOBAL award show that is gaining viewership. There are a lot of national awardshows however, so you cant say that TGAs are the ONLY award show with increased viewership yoy. I know of my local Television+Internet award show that the views has been steady for year and compared to 10 years ago they are up significantly. I enjoy watching it too. It is celebrated in a way that it really celebrates the past year of television(With other things than awards). Things like funfacts, interviews with the creators and a top 10 ''moments'' of the year. It also always looks back 10-20 years ago to look at who and what won back in that time (For the nostalgic viewers) and sometimes a funny sketch or bit regarding the nominated programs.

Sure TGAs are global so that makes it more difficult to crack a funny joke that lands with the majority of people, also what people expect from programs can vary wildly from region to region. I for example always let out a huge sigh when that lady appears during the TGAs with her ''Brought to you by OMEN PCs'' message. ''Specific segment brought to you by COMPANY or PRODUCT'' always works on my nerves. I guess Geoff did it smart. Reveals of new stuff will surely be something everyone in the world wants to see, and that increases viewership, but it hurts the message of ''celebrating the last year'' in gaming a bit. I want more segments like that older woman a couple of years back, she told about the development of games of like the 80s. That is something you dont hear someone everyday talking about. Also couple of awards being given off-stage is a really bad decision imo. For me all the announcements can stay (People will go raging if they removed them now from the format anyway), but i also want a bit more celebrating and surely less sponsormessages (Keep that at the announcements) and yeah the funny thing with entertainment programs is that someone else can have a wildly different opinion about it than me

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No, it works as expected. You attract people with ads to see things that don't interest them as much.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
The awards are for the industry, the announcements are for the fans. Getting that recognition from your peers in a creative space you've dedicated your life to (over several years for a single product) is huge. Especially in a medium where a large number of the people working in it, have grown up as the "nerds" or might not have been the most popular, or have just been told that video games are for kids and they shouldn't be wasting their time.

Do most people watch only for the announcements? Probably

Do the awards sometimes seem pushed to the side in favor of the announcements? Yup (why announce like 9 award winners before the show "starts"??)

Does that negate the pride and recognition felt by the nominees/winners? Not in the slightest.

Do I personally find Josef Fares and other kitschy moments to be insufferable? Yes...he's better than Joel McHale, but still though. I get that he's excited but damn.

Then of course you have to think of the developers that are announcing stuff too. They are hoping people like their game and that it is successful enough to be nominated, so if their announcement helps bring recognition to their peers in hopes they will be recognized in turn....why not? It doesn't need to be an either/or situation

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Many people tune into The Game Awards to see game announcements. It feels like hype/interest in the show is almost entirely predicated on these trailers, while the awards themselves are a secondary attraction at best.

Compare TGA to The Oscars. The Oscars command a broad audience every year almost strictly due to interest in the awards. Sure there are some live musical numbers and the like, but many people really care about what films and filmmakers win those golden statuettes.

Would you care about the game awards at all without the announcements? If you answered "no", how do you feel about that? Do you wish there was an awards show where the games and creators being honored were more of a draw? Does it say anything about the industry and medium as a whole?
I sorta feel like it's the celebs that drive interest in the Oscars, more than the awards.