• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I just booted up my new PC and installed Outer Wilds, stoked to get back at it, booted it up and....."create new profile" ummm...I don't see the option anywhere. I really have to dig out my old machine, hook it up, upload the save to google drive/put it on a flash drive, and install it on my new PC? What fucking year is it? How is this a thing?

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
It's up to the game to support them, but the store does support the feature. I would imagine that the devs didn't put it in since this was ORIGINALLY going to be an Xbox Play Anywhere exclusive and those games get cloud saves for free, but that's just me guessing.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Correct. Certain games have cloud saves, and it's being enabled per game. Last time they mentioned anything was July 2019.
I just can't believe, in the year of our lord 2020, a successful (well deserved) goty title doesn't have cloud saves on a personal computer. What a fucking bungle, if I had wiped my old hard drive that'd be it, no more outer wilds

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it will take awhile for devs across the board to do this and add it to their development pipeline etc... Games on Game Pass PC are also hit or miss. Certainly an advantage to being in the market longer.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
In that case, I stand corrected. I assumed it was up to the devs as some of the games I own already had cloud saves.
No worries. Yeah, it's a messed up position to be in. This is where you start to go "But Steam did this in a cave with a box of scraps". Before I wrote my script, I lost countless game saves by reformatting (I do a PC refresh every 2 months).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that it's still on a game by game basis like Steam and Switch. They could have taken advantage of being a new service of having it available for all games from the start.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Sucks that it's still on a game by game basis like Steam and Switch. They could have taken advantage of being a new service of having it available for all games from the start.
If you think about it, unless the storefronts provide specific info then it's going to be up to the storefronts. Plus it's easier if they handle it as they control the process; change control, structure changes, etc.

it's that it's taking Epic Games a long time to get what we consider basic features. There's no way that these AAA games that are EGS exclusive should be in this state. Hell, no storefront has every game enable with cloud saves. That said, I'm not giving EGS a pass, they need to pick it up