• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does the best development team fall under Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or a Third Party Studio?

• Sony

Votes: 122 35.6%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 159 46.4%
  • Third Party Studio

Votes: 55 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
As the title states: Does the best development team fall under Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or a Third Party Studio? And please explain, in a few sentences or paragraphs, why?

Note that the question is not your favorite development team, but rather the best development team. What "best" means--well, that's up for debate. You can consider second-party developers as first-party developers.

Again, best, not favorite. Definitions for both below:

Best: "of the highest quality, excellence, or standing"

Favorite: "regarded with particular favor or preference"

Interested to hear all of your opinions!

Last edited:

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Best is subjective to your personal tastes. The best would be your favorite.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Best development team probably falls under Nintendo, even with Sony who has my favorite teams you can always find clear agreed upon issues even from fans. Nintendo literally puts out 10/10 like every year. Plus doesn't Nintendo have the highest rated games average in the industry.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
From Software and Platinum Games are third party, so that would be my answer. Though there are so many great studios and games that it's impossible to choose the best.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IMO the best studio is Naughty Dog. That's purely in terms of talent on staff + history of quality output.

My favorite would be FROM, Retro, or an indie studio.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Easily third party. I wouldn't even say it's close. Just more innovation happening with third parties than any of the first party games. First party can have more polish and stuff but that's just time and money. The best skilled developers are all third party.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Right now Nintendo, because of Retro Studios (the DK games) and Smash Ultimate. Those are the 3 best games of the decade imo. There isn't really a "best", it's just what your favorite is.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
This. what Sony came out with in this gen was by miles my favorite games and helped me keep interested in video games, as I get older with more things to do, if it wasn't for most of Sonys exclusives this gen I think I would not be playing games as much anymore.

Does not mean Nintendo didn't come out with awesome stuff also. But for me personally the sony stuff is better, so I give it to them.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Sony. Their mix between their 1st party studios and their XDev teams worldwide in NA, Japan and Europe is simply amazing and unparalleled.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
Easily third party. I wouldn't even say it's close. Just more innovation happening with third parties than any of the first party games. First party can have more polish and stuff but that's just time and money. The best skilled developers are all third party.

I took the question to mean all of Nintendo vs all of Sony vs all of Microsoft vs say all of EA vs say all of Ubisoft, etc., but right, if it's all third-party developers combined, indies even not just big 3rd party publishers, then yes, I'd have voted that.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine somebody like Ubisoft probably has the best mix of quality work mixed with quality of life for the developers which I suppose is how I would specifically choose the best over my personal favourites.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Comfortably Sony.

Giving Nintendo the nod seems to ignore some pretty major problems: they have never not made a mess of online features in their games, and their games don't push the medium technically. Their overall cadence is also pretty weak these days. As impressive as their launch year was, they haven't followed It up at all.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
To me, From Software is currently one of the most impressive AAA studios that deliver high quality games frequently. So, Third Party Studio it is for me.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why my favorite console maker of course? Why you may ask? Because they make my favorite plastic box, the games that are made don't appear on your box therefore they make me feel secure in my buying decisions. Plus i can add that game to my list when its time for list warz!

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Comfortably Sony.

Giving Nintendo the nod seems to ignore some pretty major problems: they have never not made a mess of online features in their games, and their games don't push the medium technically at all. They are ALWAYS pushing the medium. Their overall cadence is also pretty weak.
While your point holds for online, not pushing the medium is a joke. The had the first analog sticks, the first rumble, the first motion controls, and the first 3D. Regardless, this is referring to game development, not the things you've listed.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favorites are definitely under Sony right now. ND is first on that list for me by a healthy margin.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Software is the best development studio. Outside of them, I'd take games by Santa Monica Studio, Sony Bend and ND over games made by any studio under MS and Nintendo.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take every other publisher in existence. I'm sure you could find one in there that is better.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is my favorite but I'd say Nintendo. Almost all of their exclusives are great and have great devs behind them. Sony is super close second imo.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Nintendo EPD Tokyo
2. From Software
3. Nintendo EPD (Aonuma's team)
4. Naughty Dog

Nintendo would be my answer.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's clearly Nintendo, they have proven to be able to survive on 1st party alone. Give them all the same hardware, the same price, no third party deals and let's see who sells best.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
Monolith Soft.
They made one of the best and biggest JRPGs of the generation under 3 years with only 40 people.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
for me its Nintendo and Capcom (including Platinum), FROM software is also very awesome

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Quality: Nintendo.

But Sony is getting more interesting as a publisher and quality-wise their top studios are now reaching Nintendo-quality. So in the long run Sony might get my vote.

One thing is sure: for now these twe are far beyond the rest. Microsoft still has a lot to prove for instance, they are nowhere in the same league.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FROM Software by far my favorite.They have made 6 amazing games in 10 years nobody can top that

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo. Their software output is the only one's who I believe could, at minimum, replicate its success regardless of the hardware it's released on. The fact that they've found a way, especially in this era where graphics help drive appeal of games, to attract consumers with the mechanics of their games speaks volumes to the quality of their releases.

Sony is close but I don't feel that their gameplay is at a level that would separate them. Most of there recent praise is from a technical standpoint, and any dev (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) can make a great game technically given the proper hardware+budget.

I mean Nintendo has the world hooked on Animal Crossing currently, despite FF7 Remake and Doom Eternal being out.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo, ez

edit: as for what team, i'd have to go with the tokyo mario team or the zelda team. they've made so many timeless, game changing games over the past 4 decades, and they keep innovating and pushing the boundaries of game design.

OP
OP

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I disagree. For instance, my favorite game may match my likes perfectly.

I would not mark that as the 'best game' if I knew another title, which I also thoroughly enjoyed, had better level design, more masterful controls, and beautiful visuals.

Put more simply, check the definitions of Best and Favorite:

Best: "of the highest quality, excellence, or standing"

Favorite: "regarded with particular favor or preference"

Anyways, I don't mean for this topic to be a semantic debate, so carry on.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Comfortably Sony.

Giving Nintendo the nod seems to ignore some pretty major problems: they have never not made a mess of online features in their games, and their games don't push the medium technically. Their overall cadence is also pretty weak these days. As impressive as their launch year was, they haven't followed It up at all.

- Odyssey 2 and BotW are the best reviewed games of the generation.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses was the best reviewed exclusive last year; Super Mario Maker, Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 were the second-, third- and fifth-best rated exclusives of last year (Astral Chain was fourth, which was published by...you guessed it, Nintendo).
- Animal Crossing is the best-rated exclusive of this year.
- BotW2 will be the best-rated exclusive of whatever year it releases.
- There are only two Sony-published games rated better than Smash Ultimate
- lol

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Capcom or Platinum for sure. Not really impressed with what any first party studio is doing except Guerrilla.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
There's no such thing as "best development team", and thinking about it in such reductive terms serves no purpose other than to fan the flames of fanboyism and console warring. Every single software development team in existence has both strengths and weaknesses, and it's not a zero sum race-to-the-top.

Jun 22, 2018
I think in many ways you have to say that a studio is best at what they do, while accepting that other studios are better in other genres or aspects of game making.

For example, I would say that Playground Games is the best racing game developer in the world, but they're probably not a very good RTS developer (and we'll see how they fare with RPGs).

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

So you're grouping all third party studios vs first party ones? There are so many more third party studios, of course there would be more innovation. More junk also. More everything.

But when it comes to consistency of quality, I'd say Sony and Nintendo win. (Not that there's no innovation, either: Dreams, Zelda BOTW, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.