• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It would be for sure, but it seems like the Xbox and Windows teams can't get along. Now adding another third party into the mix.
Insert that gif of all of Microsoft's divisions pointing guns at each other. lol

4e0b340dcadcbbdd35120000

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
There is never a guarentee they will fix their own store and until they fix it, it's all words.
Well of course. That doesn't change what the strategic goal is. Obviously if they fail to execute on longterm strategy then, well, they failed and will have to stick with the status quo. But thats always true of every business plan

OP
OP
Osiris397

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS will put most if not all of these games on Steam. They have nothing to lose. In fact, I bet their thinking is that it will drive more players towards game pass. I mean, you see all those 60-70 dollar games on Steam? They 'free' on gamepass. It drives up the value on their service by putting pricetags on all the games available there. If people are happy buying them on Steam? MS still win.

I bet Valve will be happy too.

The discussion about offering dual options of full retail vs. Game Pass was had with Bethesda games on Playstation publicly and MS chose to just put the new games on Game Pass exclusively already. They are laser focused on growing the Game Pass userbase, especially now. Putting a shit ton of games on Steam only to snatch them all back at some point to go into Game Pass later is probably not the best idea. If all the games are in Game Pass but periodically some are on or off the subscription and they are all scattered in the UI it will be a much softer blow.

Apr 23, 2019
It wouldn't completely replace the full Windows 11, but be a separate version of Windows 11 for free. Because MS Store will have most games and Game Pass is being heavily praised, the majority of PC gamers will be fine with being restricted to MS Store only so they will not need to pay the extra for unrestricted Windows 11.

Companies won't flee, they'll have to be where the users are and that'll be the MS Store.

That'll be what will kill Steam (and EGS) which the OP of this thread suggests.

There's a reason Steam is investing so heavily in Proton and SteamOS. I don't think we'd see anything this drastic from Microsoft anytime soon, but I think it's safe to say Valve doesn't want to be at the whim of a Microsoft power play involving Windows.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Edit:. I see you mean only have the Microsoft store as the only buying option. Not sure how that would work and still be windows. You want to see companies flee for Linux and perhaps embrace SteamOS, Microsoft doing this would be the catalyst. Would be Nintendo/Sony moment for the current time. Especially since Microsoft has been public recently about not locking things down. Though your scenario is exactly why Valve is working on SteamOS. The side effect of this kind of move could be some sort of Valve/Epic unholy alliance.

It already exists and is called S mode.

OP
OP
Osiris397

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If its locked to Gamepass it likely won't be moddable...
Most people don't buy games based on how moddable they are. Even with that, my guess is by the time Elder Scrolls gets released there will be games for sale without DRM in Game Pass. I don't see Xbox having a problem with modding specifically for Elder Scrolls given it's long history with that franchise.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
There is a lot room between removing all games from Steam or staying on Steam. If they are dumb they will just remove their games from Steam some day. If they are smart they will continuously disadvantage steam buyers. Access to the Beta, demo version, first dlc free, lower price, earlier launch etc. if you are on GP/buy the game from the Ms store.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Most people don't buy games based on how moddable they are. Even with that, my guess is by the time Elder Scrolls gets released there will be games for sale without DRM in Game Pass. I don't see Xbox having a problem with modding specifically for Elder Scrolls given it's long history with that franchise.
So like you're just gonna make anything up to support your position right?

DRM free gamepass games? What? Huh? In what world

And your suggestion that modding Bethesda games on PC isn't a significant factor in purchases just screams that you don't know what you're talking about. Like have you ever played a video game on a PC?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the Steam debate, since putting their games on the platform they have sold like gangbusters. Why would they stop that?

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the Steam debate, since putting their games on the platform they have sold like gangbusters. Why would they stop that?
Putting their games on Sony consoles would also make them sell gangbusters.
Selling their games isn't their end-goal, selling you their ecosystem is.

OP
OP
Osiris397

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...DRM free gamepass games?..
No, I said MS would make an exception for Elder Scrolls and probably for Fallout because modding is a big part of the legacy of those franchises and MS is in the mode of trying to assuage concerns people have about them gobbling all these studios up. Aside from that it's work being made that MS wouldn't have to pay for that sustains sales of the game far past the launch of the game. It's not rocket science.

OP
OP
Osiris397

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 month): platform warring over a series of posts, prior ban for platform warring, accumulated infractions
You don't pay $70BILLION to continue paying rent in your own house.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he had a good run. Please don't make reaction threads and then platform war in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.