• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a VPN app you suggest that has a free trial (and safe)?

Or a chrome extension?
I used the TunnelBear VPN chrome extension when I redeemed Brazil codes last year. They have Brazilian servers and a free tier with a 500mb data cap, more than enough for this purpose. You just turn on the VPN & choose Brazil from the list of servers, go to https://redeem.microsoft.com/ and enter your codes, and that's it. VPN isn't needed afterwards.

Last edited:

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I used the TunnelBear VPN chrome extension when I redeemed Brazil codes last year. They have Brazilian servers and a free tier with a 500mb data cap, more than enough for this purpose. You just turn on the VPN & choose Brazil from the list of servers, go to https://redeem.microsoft.com/ and enter your codes, and that's it. VPN isn't needed afterwards.
This is what I was looking for, thank you!

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
My friend is trying to upgrade a new 12 month gold sub to game pass but it's only letting him do one month.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Edit: NVM worked it out. Weird wording .

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
My friend is trying to upgrade a new 12 month gold sub to game pass but it's only letting him do one month.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

He's not trying to use codes from different regions is he? Subs from different regions cancel each other out. If you buy cheap Gold codes from another region, you need to buy an Ultimate code from the same region to trigger the upgrade. If you try to mix and match codes from different regions, or do the upgrade from the dash of a console set to a different region to the existing sub, it'll just wipe the existing sub and start from scratch.

So if you have, say, 36 months of cheap Gold from Brazil, trying to do the Ultimate upgrade from a UK-region console will just leave you with 1 month of Ultimate as the UK sub will wipe the Brazilian one off your account. To do the conversion you'd need to buy a Brazilian Ultimate code (7 day will do) and then you'll have 36 months of Ultimate. This also applies if you ever want to extend. If you've 2 years of Brazilian Ultimate and you try to add another year via a US code, it'll wipe the Brazilian sub and leave you with just the one year of Ultimate from the US code.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
He's not trying to use codes from different regions is he? Subs from different regions cancel each other out. If you buy cheap Gold codes from another region, you need to buy an Ultimate code from the same region to trigger the upgrade. If you try to mix and match codes from different regions, or do the upgrade from the dash of a console set to a different region to the existing sub, it'll just wipe the existing sub and start from scratch.

So if you have, say, 36 months of cheap Gold from Brazil, trying to do the Ultimate upgrade from a UK-region console will just leave you with 1 month of Ultimate as the UK sub will wipe the Brazilian one off your account. To do the conversion you'd need to buy a Brazilian Ultimate code (7 day will do) and then you'll have 36 months of Ultimate. This also applies if you ever want to extend. If you've 2 years of Brazilian Ultimate and you try to add another year via a US code, it'll wipe the Brazilian sub and leave you with just the one year of Ultimate from the US code.
Good to know. I am planning to get two more years on Friday (I have a one year from Newegg ready to go). So 3 years total, but if the Brazilian ones are gonna give me trouble I won't bother with em.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My 12 month GPU sub just ended, any good Gold deals in the UK? Would like to sub for a few years since the deal still seems to work.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I had GPU sometime last year and let it expire due to deployment. Is is possible to grab a few years of Gold and upgrade for the $1 or is that for new subscribers only?

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I have been reading through the different plans, but I think I've just confused myself. If anyone knows what I should do, I would appreciate your advice.

I bought 2 years of Game Pass console version from Amazon in 2018 or 2019, but I never redeemed it. My Gold ran out in 2020.

I don't own a Series X or S. What's my best option to proceed if I want to stream games via tablet/phone? From what I can tell, my 2 years of "Game Pass for console" won't work for mobile streaming.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I had GPU sometime last year and let it expire due to deployment. Is is possible to grab a few years of Gold and upgrade for the $1 or is that for new subscribers only?

I did this in December. My sub ended so effectively I was a "new customer" again. Got two years of gold then did £1 upgrade.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
So if I have 12 months of gold, and have already done the free upgrade, can I pay for one month of gamepass and convert all of it?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have been reading through the different plans, but I think I've just confused myself. If anyone knows what I should do, I would appreciate your advice.

I bought 2 years of Game Pass console version from Amazon in 2018 or 2019, but I never redeemed it. My Gold ran out in 2020.

I don't own a Series X or S. What's my best option to proceed if I want to stream games via tablet/phone? From what I can tell, my 2 years of "Game Pass for console" won't work for mobile streaming.

If your goal is to use xCloud, you need to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate, which includes access to the xCloud beta.

It's possible this might be doable with the same upgrade method as the Gold $1 promo, but I can't confirm that.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So if I have 12 months of gold, and have already done the free upgrade, can I pay for one month of gamepass and convert all of it?

So long as you aren't already subscribed to GPU, then yes (assuming nothing has changed very recently). You can of course buy another two years of XBLG first, the benefit of which is that if the deal changes, you're locked in for three years.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
If your goal is to use xCloud, you need to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate, which includes access to the xCloud beta.

It's possible this might be doable with the same upgrade method as the Gold $1 promo, but I can't confirm that.
yes, the ultimate upgrade will convert all non-Ultimate subscription time... gold, game pass for console, game pass for PC, up to 36 months total. Two years of game pass for console will upgrade to 2 years of GPU, 2 years of game pass for console and a year of gold will give you 3 years GPU, etc.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
yes, the ultimate upgrade will convert all non-Ultimate subscription time... gold, game pass for console, game pass for PC, up to 36 months total. Two years of game pass for console will upgrade to 2 years of GPU, 2 years of game pass for console and a year of gold will give you 3 years GPU, etc.

Thank you both for the explanation!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
So long as you aren't already subscribed to GPU, then yes (assuming nothing has changed very recently). You can of course buy another two years of XBLG first, the benefit of which is that if the deal changes, you're locked in for three years.
I should hurry up and get on it before the deal is removed. I want to wait until I have a Series X though, but I'm afraid the deal will be gone by the time I buy one.

Oct 25, 2017
So I've read recent posts pretty thoroughly, but am still concerned that I'm going to mess this up somehow and end up with 36 months of Live Gold without actually owning an Xbox....

My status:
- PC only
- 3 months of GPU for $1 just ended
- no active subscription right now

My plan is:
- Purchase 3x12 months of Gold on costco.ca
- Go to the xbox.com site and redeem the Gold codes
- I will then be offered a deal to upgrade to GPU after purchasing one month of GPU?
- If I select this, my 36 months of Gold will be converted to GPU?

Is this right? Any step that I'm mistaken on?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So I've read recent posts pretty thoroughly, but am still concerned that I'm going to mess this up somehow and end up with 36 months of Live Gold without actually owning an Xbox....

My status:
- PC only

My plan is:
- I will then be offered a deal to upgrade to GPU after purchasing one month of GPU?

So I think the only thing wrong here is that purchasing one month if GPU -is- what does the trick. There's no additional step. From memory it's also not especially clear about any of this when you go through the process, but it does work.

Hope someone else corroborates though :)

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
I have used the $1 trial. Is there anything i can do or is all hope lost? Because i guess i read it on verge and they said that this offer was valid if you had not used the trial. can someone confirm this?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

My status:
- PC only

My plan is:

Yes, it will work like that. Just pay attention that you might get an additional month of Gold if you redeem a code and allow auto-renew. That's what MS has been doing for a while at least. That way you might end up with 39 instead of 36 month of Gold and you should only be able to convert years into Ultimate and not more.
However I do not know if the system even allows you to have more than 36 months of Gold. But just pay attention to make sure

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
I have used the $1 trial. Is there anything i can do or is all hope lost? Because i guess i read it on verge and they said that this offer was valid if you had not used the trial. can someone confirm this?
Buy 3 years of Gold and 14 Days of GPU (or maybe even 7 days, I heard those exist?)

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

The 1:1 conversion is not tied to the $1 offer. Anything you do that adds Game Pass Ultimate to your account will convert your existing subs to Ultimate.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
The 1:1 conversion is not tied to the $1 offer. Anything you do that adds Game Pass Ultimate to your account will convert your existing subs to Ultimate.
I read it here. How to convert your Xbox Live subscription into Game Pass Ultimate - The Verge

It's worth noting that this is a one-time offer. if you've already used the offer to get a month for $1 (sadly raises hand), you've used up your opportunity to convert Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate. However, if you haven't used it yet, here's how to get the biggest bang for your buck.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it will work like that. Just pay attention that you might get an additional month of Gold if you redeem a code and allow auto-renew. That's what MS has been doing for a while at least. That way you might end up with 39 instead of 36 month of Gold and you should only be able to convert years into Ultimate and not more.
However I do not know if the system even allows you to have more than 36 months of Gold. But just pay attention to make sure

I'm fairly confident you can't stack more than three years. I'm not sure whether you'd end up losing the extra, or perhaps worse, not be able to apply the final code.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
That's simply wrong. Yes, if you used the $1 offer you can't use the $1 offer again but you can always convert Gold to Ultimate 1:1 for the price of one regular month of Ultimate
Yep, just to further back your point. Had a few friends do this trick but they upgraded without the $1 offer.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The system won't let you redeem a Gold code if doing so will put you over 36 months, so if you want to redeem a full 3x12 months before upgrading to Ultimate, you need to turn down any offers for free months. Otherwise, you might be left with like 25 months of Gold and a 12 month card you can't redeem before upgrading unless you wait out the extra time (and gamble the offer still exists) or convince support to take off the bonus month(s) so you can add your final year of gold.

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
My GPU expires in June. I've been reading to let it lapse and then renew, but I'm concerned the 1 to 1 deal will be dead by then. Suggestions?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My GPU expires in June. I've been reading to let it lapse and then renew, but I'm concerned the 1 to 1 deal will be dead by then. Suggestions?

You can get GPU for $90 a year straight up with no tricks by buying EA Access 12 month codes (29.99 - 4mo GPU). That's 50% more than the 1:1 gold deal but also 50% less than normal and doesn't require being a new subscriber

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I want to be sure of this before I go and buy three years of gold that I currently cannot use.
I currently have a GPU sub that expires in ten days. After I let it run out I should be able to use the trick, right?
I am in Europe, is it any different over here?
Also the steps are:
  1. Buy 3 yearly gold codes. (3*60€)
  2. Redeem it and say no to any extra months.
  3. Subscribe to GPU, using the normal rate (13€)
  4. I should have three years of GPU for less than 200€.
Does it matter I only have a pc? PC+EA pass is already more than the monthly fee of GPU.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I want to be sure of this before I go and buy three years of gold that I currently cannot use.
I currently have a GPU sub that expires in ten days. After I let it run out I should be able to use the trick, right?
I am in Europe, is it any different over here?
Also the steps are:
  1. Buy 3 yearly gold codes. (3*60€)
  2. Redeem it and say no to any extra months.
  3. Subscribe to GPU, using the normal rate (13€)
  4. I should have three years of GPU for less than 200€.
Does it matter I only have a pc? PC+EA pass is already more than the monthly fee of GPU.

That's it, yes. PC is fine (but fyi, EA Play is included in regular GP for PC)

I would check again in 10 days though whether it's still working before diving in; The small print recently changed and only references "a conversion rate" when upgrading now (similar to existing subscribers). Or so I saw posted elsewhere

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
That's it, yes. PC is fine (but fyi, EA Play is included in regular GP for PC)

I would check again in 10 days though whether it's still working before diving in; The small print recently changed and only references "a conversion rate" when upgrading now (similar to existing subscribers). Or so I saw posted elsewhere
Either way it's cheaper to do that than to just get pc gp.
And will check again when the need arises, don't worry lol

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Just checking to see if anyone knows if this still works since it was mentioned the fine print changed. I gifted a buddy my old xbox and am trying to set him up with game pass and would like to get him the best deal possible.

Oct 25, 2017
So I think the only thing wrong here is that purchasing one month if GPU -is- what does the trick. There's no additional step. From memory it's also not especially clear about any of this when you go through the process, but it does work.

Hope someone else corroborates though :)
Thank you, both.

Confirmed I now have GPU until April 11 2024. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. It feels good, doesn't it?
Money well spent for sure. Glad I don't need to mess with any subscription garbage for 3 years, first and foremost. And it feels like this deal could be pulled at any time (who knows - maybe it goes for another 2 yrs) so it's nice to take advantage of Microsoft flooding the service with games and keeping it cheap for market advantage.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Does this trick also work for existing GP users?

Mine is expiring sometime this month.

If I let that lapse, can I then get 1/2 yr of Live, and then subscribe back to GPU to convert the 1/2 yr of Live to 1/2 yr of GPU?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Does this trick also work for existing GP users?

Mine is expiring sometime this month.

If I let that lapse, can I then get 1/2 yr of Live, and then subscribe back to GPU to convert the 1/2 yr of Live to 1/2 yr of GPU?
Yes you just pay $15 instead of $1 as you've already been a subscriber. Unless it's just regular GP, then you can still use $1 if you haven't had GPU.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So...I did the $1 for one month of GPU as a new Series X owner. It should expire today/tomorrow.

I have two years of Gold that I obtained for pretty cheap. Haven't yet applied it to my account. Should I be able to do so tomorrow, and then convert all 2 years to GPU for a minimal cost?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
So...I did the $1 for one month of GPU as a new Series X owner. It should expire today/tomorrow.

I have two years of Gold that I obtained for pretty cheap. Haven't yet applied it to my account. Should I be able to do so tomorrow, and then convert all 2 years to GPU for a minimal cost?

Assuming the deal still works, and I haven't heard otherwise - let your GP sub COMPLETELY expire off your account, THEN add however much Gold you want, and THEN choose to convert it to Game Pass.

It'll cost you $15 to do the conversation since it's not your first time, but other than that it'll be a 1:1 conversion to Game Pass Ultimate.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the deal still works, and I haven't heard otherwise - let your GP sub COMPLETELY expire off your account, THEN add however much Gold you want, and THEN choose to convert it to Game Pass.

It'll cost you $15 to do the conversation since it's not your first time, but other than that it'll be a 1:1 conversion to Game Pass Ultimate.
Gotcha. Thank you!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Weekly how do I get this working post of the week:
I did the £1 upgrade years ago, but I've not had Game Pass Ultimate for a year now, and the £1 offer is showing up on my Xbox dashboard again (which I've checked and is actually showing up as £1; when it showed up last year, it showed on the dashboard but when I went to checkout it was full price).

Does that mean I'm re-eligible for the offer to buy however long of Gold, and upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate for £1?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The options are this:

Never had a game pass subscription:
- Add game pass time
- Add xbox gold time -> buy single discounted first month ($1) converts all to game pass
I only used the $1 gamepass for PC. I never used the $1 ultimate yet. So, I'm currently have 3 years of XBL unused code. Redeem these cards and pay $1 to convert it to gamepass?