• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when this show was airing (haven't seen it in years), at the time I wasn't sure what to think of it. It had a weird blend of western cartoons and anime (which was not something that was done at the time) I remember being on Toon Zone at the time, people thought the opening was weird and that the first few episodes were mediocre.. and they are.

It isn't until the episode "Masks" that the show starts to find its footing where Robin pretends to be Red X and we see how much of a manipulator Slade really is.

For most shows, do you do episodes that are mostly standalone or do you do a story arc that lasts from beginning to end? Teen Titans managed to find a happy little medium with Half Arc Seasons. Not to mention, episodes could be wacky and comical or dramatic and serious, you never knew what you were gonna get.

Terra was portrayed as a much more sympathetic character than she was in the original comic book story. Then again, her original characterization wouldn't have flown on a kid's show.

One thing I remember was that they were never clear on which Robin was in the show, he was kind of a mix of Dick, Jason and Tim. (Damian didn't exist yet)

One problem is that the show does rely too much on dues ex machinas to resolve the story arcs (Cyborg just magically getting his body back after Brother Blood tears him apart for example)

But overall, it was a good show.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I like it waaaaay better than what followed. It was one of the dopest shows on CN back in the day.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly rewatching here and there on hbo max. I think it definitely holds up. The animation is still clean as hell and the dialogue and character interaction is still really fun and compelling for the most part, especially anything with Beast Boy and Cyborg

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Totally holds up IMO. I'm not a fan of the series finale and the way it introduced some big questions only to never answer them, but it's a great show all around.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Totally holds up IMO. I'm not a fan of the series finale and the way it introduced some big questions only to never answer them, but it's a great show all around.
I remember "Haunted" heavily implies Slade is still alive when someone triggered some dust to make Robin hallucinate seeing Slade, but Season 4 shows what happened to Slade at the end of Season 2, so it couldn't have been him.

If not Slade, then who was it?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ron Pearlman as Slade was pretty iconic. But i remember the whole voice cast being amazing that i can still hear those voices in my head despite not watching the show in well over a decade.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the best thing about the Teen Titans show is it gave us Teen Titans Go, the definitive Teen Titans.
I think the 2003 Teen Titans concept was pretty much the same as Young Justice, which did it way better, IMO.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watched How Long is Forever recently and yeah, show still holds up great.

latest

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Pretty sure Robin was Dick Greyson, I can't remember outright hearing his name, but the "Larry" episode where a dimension traveling alternate universe version of/fanboy of Robin shows up says his name is "Nosyreg Kcid" which is Dick Greyson backward.

The show definitely holds up, of course it's not perfect, but it is very good. Plus, when you have a large portion of people who sees Deathstroke as "Slade" shows that the writing and directing really had an impact.

I also felt it was a really fun blending of western cartoon styling with anime flavor.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
With the copius amounts of DC animated movies I wish they continued it in movie form at least.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Fantastic show. Between Teen Titans, Justice League, and Static Shock my preteen years were spoiled with good DC cartoon content.

Pretty sure Robin was Dick Greyson, I can't remember outright hearing his name, but the "Larry" episode where a dimension traveling alternate universe version of/fanboy of Robin shows up says his name is "Nosyreg Kcid" which is Dick Greyson backward.

The show definitely holds up, of course it's not perfect, but it is very good. Plus, when you have a large portion of people who sees Deathstroke as "Slade" shows that the writing and directing really had an impact.

I also felt it was a really fun blending of western cartoon styling with anime flavor.

He's definitely Dick. Starfire travels to the future in one episode and encounters him as Nightwing.

Red X reappeared as a standalone character later on and I've seen people assume that he's Jason.

Last edited:

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Not sure if Trouble in Tokyo is on HBO Max.

Don't have HBO Max anyway. All other services run pretty smooth with vpn if I want to access their content, but HBO Max is always so slow with loading anything that I don't bother subbing anymore.

Just waiting until the WB/Sky deal is done and Max comes to europe, specifically Germany.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I never felt like it ever reached its potential. The writing never had the level of punch other Dc shows from the same time had. I genuinely think the reason it's held in such high esteem is that the art and character design is so strong. Coupled with a very likeable voice cast. I think that's why you can literally take those characters and put them in a completely different genre of show and it still works.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to think the show was so popular it almost immediately started getting adapted to live action and it only fell apart because of the state of the Batman and Superman franchise.

Well, what was going on at the time...

The Dark Knight Trilogy was just starting, Batman was on Justice League/Unlimited and The Batman cartoon was airing

Superman was on Justice League/Unlimited and I think Smallville was airing.. oh and Superman Returns came out and underperformed.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yes it does. Great show and episodes. Haunted is amazing and Slade is one of the best animated villains ever. Truly a menance.

The Robin in the series is meant to represent Robin in general and takes traits from all of them. But he is Dick as the show hints to many times and a tie in comic confirms this.

The show did drop the ball here in an episode on fantasy racism. The episode was pretty good and showed how a noble bigot is still a bigot in the end and how it doesn't matter what racist idiots think in the end. But this one moment kinda ruined the episode for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93zsN8jGMcY

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it does, it still gets laughs out of me and the stories / characters are actually really well done.

CBZ

Jul 2, 2022
Eh... it depends. I personally still have a soft spot for the first season (which is weird because I know that the show didn't quite find its groove then), but I was never the biggest fan of the almost schizophrenic mix of action / comedy the show offered. A lot of the humor still holds up however, and there are quite a few episodes I can wholeheartedly recommend. I feel that Go has better "good episodes" albeit with less consistency, but the 2003 series is more consistently good; but I know plenty of people who can't stand Go so it depends on what you like. Both are quite good though.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Great show overall, but probably needed something (a movie or another season). Too bad we got the abomination that is Go! instead.

Sep 2, 2018
It's much better than I remember. Back then, I thought it was a little juvenile compared to Justice League (my personal favorite), but as time has past I realize it was ahead of it's time. I think it's the third best DC animated show of all time, behind Batman:TAS and Justice League Unlimited.

Delphisage

Banned
May 27, 2020
Center of the Universe ON
It was over a decade and a half ago and I never finished it, but I still remember loving it.

It was either (re)watching this or watching Adventure Time I was going to do in my indecision to pick a new anime to move onto after finishing Homestuck Act 5. Maybe once I'm done Season 4, I'll watch this. And then I'll start on either Steven Universe or Kaguya-sama.

Sep 2, 2018
Great show overall, but probably needed something (a movie or another season). Too bad we got the abomination that is Go! instead.
Teen Titans Go! is for a totally different audience and age group than when the original series came out. I do love some of the humor, and they have some good jokes and Easter eggs for older DC fans.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Teen Titans Go! is for a totally different audience and age group than when the original series came out. I do love some of the humor, and they have some good jokes and Easter eggs for older DC fans.
Y'know, I used to be part of that TTG hate train, but I came to realize something.

Kids today love it and that's who it's for, so yeah.. that's fine.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Yes it does. Great show and episodes. Haunted is amazing and Slade is one of the best animated villains ever. Truly a menance.

The Robin in the series is meant to represent Robin in general and takes traits from all of them. But he is Dick as the show hints to many times and a tie in comic confirms this.

The show did drop the ball here in an episode on fantasy racism. The episode was pretty good and showed how a noble bigot is still a bigot in the end and how it doesn't matter what racist idiots think in the end. But this one moment kinda ruined the episode for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93zsN8jGMcY

Even when it was new and I had a lot to learn about race, "I'm part robot" drove me nuts.