• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming that these are basically loading screens. Makes enough sense to not bother me, though more clever solutions to further conceal it are preferable, it's not that offensive to me

i'm ok with these things because i understand its just masking loading. but honestly, i'd prefer it the game just took over and i didnt have to hold forward while it happens. i don't need the illusion of being in control, its not engaging.

I agree. I don't think that pushing buttons to make things happen in cutscenes (or other non gameplay stuff) adds anything and would prefer it just not be a thing. I don't even know why we have to hold L2 to do the mindless climbing in this game.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am also here, the hype before launch was big but after reading some reviews and thoughts in the OT it's clear this isn't for me. I don't mind games that are formulaic at all but if the game has boring characters or lacks any sort of charm then I'll probably wait for a price drop. People using the word "slog" a lot.
Oh, I'm just talking about the technical things. I'm too much of a sucker for Star Wars that I'll not miss this game. I'm a grown man with an age of 37 and still dream sometimes being a Jedi so it's not a question if I play the game but when.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm just talking about the technical things. I'm too much of a sucker for Star Wars that I'll not miss this game. I'm a grown man with an age of 37 and still dream sometimes being a Jedi so it's not a question if I play the game but when.
Oh ok good. Hope they can fix some of the bugs.

Nov 1, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider too. Though they also added wading through knee-deep mud to mix it up 😅

Innovation!

Whats fun with the mud in SotTR is that in one part of the game if you roll onto the mud at a certain angle/speed you force the game to stop dead in its tracks while an actual "loading" popup appears in the bottom right corner as you were too fast for the game to finish loading. Not seen it anywhere else. Honestly not a deal breaker but if they're gonna shove those "move slowly so the game can catch up some loading" thing they should probably do it properly.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it's loading and it's better than looking at the same 10 game tips for 20 seconds but like mattp said, I don't need to control and keep pressing forward.

God of War had 3 different ones, the squeeze crawl under rocks, going to other World's with it's many animations and the walk in the world tree fast travel.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's more AND they're longer in SW. It's ridiculous.
Nah, God of War's hidden loading sequences were significantly longer and more obvious because the color palette of the area straight up changes each time. Not just the realm hopping, but purely in Midgard too

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
There is a shitton of these:

squeezethrough.gif

Usually in games I don't really mind, it doesn't even occur to me that this is hiding loading, but this game has an awful lot of them, some of them are really long, too.
Maintence in this place must suck unless it's all done my tiny robots.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind these as much as I mind some of the elevators, they take so fucking long.

That said I finished the game a few hours ago, would recc especially if you're on PC and using premiere.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm not going to lie though, I've always liked the crawl through loading screens to get to new areas as opposed to a weird corridor with a door or something.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
No. God of War, Darksiders 3 and all Tomb Raiders have a shit ton of them, very likely at least as many as Fallen Order.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
More than the amount of door opening in Gears 5?

I wouldn't want to live in that world since it seems every door requires two really strong people to open. Exhausting!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has a lot, but they are just there to mask loading so I am cool with it. What wasn't cool is the constant loading that my base PS4 on the Wookie planet if I was running too fast between areas.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
FFXV is definitely one of those games.

Noctis' fingers even react to bumps on the wall. They tried to make it immersive!

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
you know what game has a lot of those that i wasn't expecting?

metro exodus.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
So it not only has the most squeeze through moments, it also has the most SLIDING moments! You slide down every surface in the entire game apparently. Very odd choice of AAA trapping to steal. I guess Tomb Raider has that and Uncharted maybe a little? And perhaps the Shaun White game?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's really noticeable, especially since your going through alot of them to go back to areas you've already been too.

God Of war made them feel seamless and part of the world. Guess it doesn't help that on a base PS4 i can feel star wars hitching and breaking as its trying to load the next area fast enough.

It's a really fun game, but from a technical perspective it really makes me question everything I've said about EA. Maybe frostbite isn't the issue with EA'S games, but just a sincere lack of time for the QA team.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate these. They should just put a loading bar that only fills up if you push the stick to the right.
From footage we've see of FFVIIR they're gonna be all over that too.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
These make more sense than elevators in games that include crazy space warping but these load times are now forever so that sucks. Loading screens or freeze-frame are the way to go if you want to future proof properly.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I'm on Zeffo right now and think they went way overboard with squeezing/platforming/wallrunning/swinging/iceskating, etc. Someone called it Super Zeffo Bros and I can't disagree. Great game, but settle down, ffs.

Last edited:

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
You know what. Those are the best squeeze through sequences ever. Not a simple shuffle. Some ducking and weaving...it's good stuff.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'll never understand why developers insist on putting these mechanics in games.

Whether it's constant squeeze through moments or the endless lift-me-ups in Uncharted and TLoU.

It just makes for an incredibly boring few seconds of my life.

At least the squeeze through moments in RE7 were entertaining due to the horror element.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I'll never understand why developers insist on putting these mechanics in games.

Whether it's constant squeeze through moments or the endless lift-me-ups in Uncharted and TLoU.

It just makes for an incredibly boring few seconds of my life.

At least the squeeze through moments in RE7 were entertaining due to the horror element.
Isn't usually for streaming purposes so devs can load in a new area? Should see less of them next gen hopefully with SSD's as a baseline.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on Zeffo right now and think they went way overboard with squeezing/platforming/wallrunning/swinging/iceskating, etc. Someone called it Super Zeffo Bros and I can't disagree. Great game, but settle down, ffs.

I would say that Zeffo has the most of it but it's definitely present all through the game. It gets almost comical how many planets have convenient sliding areas.

It's a weird thing to complain about but honestly it really breaks my immersion of the game quite a bit when you see how frequent it gets sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
Would you rather doors take 30 seconds to open after shooting them (an exaggeration obviously) like with Metroid Prime?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that Zeffo has the most of it but it's definitely present all through the game. It gets almost comical how many planets have convenient sliding areas.

It's a weird thing to complain about but honestly it really breaks my immersion of the game quite a bit when you see how frequent it gets sometimes.
Slides are often necessary sometimes to be able to travel through the metroidvania level fast enough (I'm finding them welcome for quick traversal), but sometimes they feel too much. I think squeezes and lifts hide loading.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah there's lots of them, as others said seem to be there to hide loading times. I suspect they also serve to create easily map layouts that otherwise wouldn't make sense. These sections are not bad per se, but as the game has several Metroidvania elements that make you return to old areas to find previously unnacessible things, repeating these scripted sections can be really frustrating.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm ok with these things because i understand its just masking loading. but honestly, i'd prefer it the game just took over and i didnt have to hold forward while it happens. i don't need the illusion of being in control, its not engaging.

I agree in general, but in addition to strengthening the masking a bit, having to hold forward lets you get out of the crevice if you enter it accidentally. It would be pretty annoying to watch the entire animation just because you bumped into the hole. Still would be worth it to give you a little break, I think.