• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Sony, since MS revealed XSX, is relying on revealing show after each XSX show....

They try to steal lights from MS

I guess they will reveal something in May 8 or so...

Is this revealing any good for them?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Depends where you look.

This place? It doesn't seems the case
Social media? I would say it's working really good.

Overall? I don't think anyone can know until next year

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
For people that post on forums and actively eat up any gaming news, probably not.

For the general gaming public I don't think it matters all the much as long as they do a proper reveal by the end.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Guessing English mightn't be your first language?

Personally I'd frame it as this:

• Sony's marketing is doing a sufficient job at getting the word out and drawing attention, though I wouldn't say it's strong as of yet. They've cultivated a big enough audience, and enough kudos this generation that frankly they can simply 'coast' by for the time being.
  • Conversely MS' next-gen marketing is definitely doing a better job, however they're still hugely on the backfoot from this generation, and so despite having an agruably better and more transparent approach, they will continue to trail and play catch-up.
  • Really however, the marketing campaign for these consoles has hardly started.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's not good or bad in the long run. None of this will matter once we know prices for both consoles. I'm sure if PS5 is $100 more expensive and XSX takes an early lead you'll still have people on here talking about how the whole strategy from the start doomed the PS5. But it's price. It's always price.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quite frankly, Sony hasn't done a good job relative to Team Xbox. Spencer and his crew have been firing on all cylinders.

Will that prevent Sony from being successful? Probably not, unless they get too arrogant like they did in PS3 days. You see bits and pieces of this in how they begrudgingly adoped cross-play.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony is trying to steal the light from Xbox, then Xbox must be doing something right, something worthy of having the spotlight stolen by a company with a much broader global appeal.

Which is not what's happening

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility toward another member
I did but would indeed.

Reveal be good but steal shows light.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Idc how they reveal the content. As long as the content is great. And so far, I like what they're doing with the controller, the console's architecture and Godfall has my attention for now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Quite frankly, Sony hasn't done a good job relative to Team Xbox. Spencer and his crew have been firing on all cylinders.

Will that prevent Sony from being successful? Probably not, unless they get too arrogant like they did in PS3 days. You see bits and pieces of this in how they begrudgingly adoped cross-play.

if it's not going to prevent them from being successful, then by what metric havent they done a good job?

That's why this whole thing is silly. i doubt anyone here has any real frame of reference for what is or isn't a good marketing campaign or strategy. For the most part, from our perspective as gamers/consumers, the very limited and shallow view seems to be "whichever Company has told us the most on any given day is doing the best job"

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
All they need now is a barge floating across MS event saying "PS5 Loves You".

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if it's not going to prevent them from being successful, then by what metric havent they done a good job?

That's why this whole thing is silly. i doubt anyone here has any real frame of reference for what is or isn't a good marketing campaign or strategy. For the most part, from our perspective as gamers/consumers, the very limited and shallow view seems to be "whichever Company has told us the most on any given day is doing the best job"

I think Sony knows better than anyone that success isn't guaranteed. It's so easy to lose your position as market leader for any number of reasons. I get why Microsoft has been so aggressive. They want to pivot away from XBone and get a fresh start. For Sony, it's the opposite. PS4 has been pretty darned successful and they want to squeeze more out of it before making the transition.

But I think getting the message out there and setting the right tone is going to get people excited and talking. There's no buzz right now for the PS5. Maybe the bean counters and marketers crunched the numbers and decided April is too early to begin the hype train. I dunno, I don't do marketing for a living.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony knows better than anyone that success isn't guaranteed. It's so easy to lose your position as market leader for any number of reasons. I get why Microsoft has been so aggressive. They want to pivot away from XBone and get a fresh start. For Sony, it's the opposite. PS4 has been pretty darned successful and they want to squeeze more out of it before making the transition.

But I think getting the message out there and setting the right tone is going to get people excited and talking. There's no buzz right now for the PS5. Maybe the bean counters and marketers crunched the numbers and decided April is too early to begin the hype train. I dunno, I don't do marketing for a living.

outside of pockets of hardcore gamers, there really isn't any buzz for either of these consoles. There doesn't really need to be. They are 6 months away and Sony doesn't seem to be having any issues drawing attention to whatever morsel of PS5 news they release.

Us, as fans, trying to determine who is and isn't doing a good job of this stuff, in April, is silly and useless.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
With the amount of time it takes to put these things together (especially with the pandemic) I'd be surprised if what Microsoft is doing will drastically affect Sony's schedule.

These months really won't matter come November and even though Sony haven't had as smooth a reveal as Microsoft they will undoubtedly show a ton of great things before pre orders open.

I think the only thing Sony will really be waiting for from MS is the price and the Lockhart reveal.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sony, since MS revealed XSX, is relying on revealing show after each XSX show....

They try to steal lights from MS

I guess they will reveal something in May 8 or so...

Is this revealing any good for them?
Yes

Sony doesn't even have to consider Xbox. Sony just gets to have all eyes on it with whatever they do, they just have to have good games that can't be done on current gen and people will go nuts, more nuts than a PS5 logo reveal, or new Playstation controller reveal, and more nuts than the eventual console reveal will surely cause people to be.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Sony dropped out of E3 should tell us all that they are not concerned about fighting for the spotlight.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean shit an Instagram picture of a PS5 logo broke record's so... Yes? Seems people are much more hyped for the PS5 overall, and they haven't even really shown anything yet.

I think people are in for a rude awakening this holiday when both consoles release.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
How and when they reveal new PS5 info doesn't really matter in the long run for anyone beyond people like us who are looking up gaming news on a daily basis. Even then, they can have their reveal event in a few weeks and completely make threads like this useless as long as there isn't some big debacle like MS had with the XB1 reveals. Sony isn't losing any ground by not revealing info right now. There's plenty of time and people are still going to be jumping at ever morsel of new info that Sony puts out about the PS5.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I really dislike their current strategy. It's quite reliant on their brand power being able to drop news like this and expect views but it's working for Sony as seen with the viewership and attention. PS4 felt the opposite and worked to get to the position they are now.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nobody will even remotely remember this period once actual reveals start happening. It truly does not matter aside from a bit of forum bickering.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I don't think either Microsoft or Sony are doing a good job specifically of convincing anyone to give up loyalty of one over the other or really even aiming for that. To me, it really doesn't feel like either one of them are communicating in a way that presents as a desperate appeal to potential customers about why they must have the Xbox over the PlayStation or PlayStation over the Xbox. It's literally just "here's what we are doing," at slightly different paces of info reveals. We're no longer in 2013 where the fans are buying into hostile messaging between the two, and in fact it generally hasn't felt like a stronger sense of unity between platform holders than I've ever witnessed in my life... It's only fans of either over the other that are trying to stoke up some shit right now.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't liked either so far, but I think it's way too early to know. Need to see the rest of the year play out.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee you, once Sony reveals a date for their event and then once it happens, this forum will go crazy. I personally think the drip feed is the best way to go for new generation news because of the massive amount of news you have to absorb but Sony's way is still just as good. Should be exciting to watch.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked up when Apple announced and released iPhone 11.

Announce: September 3rd (it seem?)
Release: September 20th

Yeah... I doubt Sony will reveal then release PS5 in the same month, but it won't kill them if they did. It's not iPhone popular, but it's the most popular console brand right now.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't help but think of that E3 when Sony announced the PS4 price on a PowerPoint slide right after Microsoft's price reveal. I'm still convinced that was a last minute call, and they were waiting to see Microsoft's price. Wouldn't be surprised if they wait this gen too.

Oct 28, 2017
They have different things to prove so you see different strategies. Xbox always struggled with transparency in their comminication, so now they over-communicate which is working great for them.

Sony is maintaining the same strategy that always worked for them, which is drip-feed info to create buzz, then drop a big unveiling to ride that hype into the release of the thing.

I think both are very successful in achieving their goals here: Microsoft is changing the perception of Xbox, Sony is wetting everyone's appetite.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Too bad my time-turner only works 6 hours max in each direction so cannot tell you.

As for the staggered, drip-feed announcements, I can't have an opinion until the whole thing is finished and we understand the entire picture. I personally am not too invested in knowing everyrhing as soon as possible.

Sony still have big games to sell on PS4 so perhaps not in their interest to divert the conversation from that until the last moment. MS isn't as tied to their platforms so they have more waggling room.

I am just amazed that Sony has kept the console design from leaking until now. I suppose they haven't yet sent anything for mass production and no patent applications yet. I wonder if they got more careful after the dev kit fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.