• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With MS reportedly going with just a 4 tflops console, it's likely they will be launching it for $299. The PS5 is sure to cost at least $499 with its ray traced hardware, supposedly the fastest SSD on the market, and a 10+ tflop GPU thats faster than anything AMD currently has on the market.

Would they blink and downgrade their specs? It was pointed out to me in the next gen thread that Lockhart was in MS's plans up until last year while Sony was designing this powerful console so clearly they didnt care back then. So why would they care now that MS is reviving it a year later.

That said, does era think Sony will still allow MS to launch with a console $200 cheaper than their next gen console? The Switch went down to $199 and sold almost a million units in a single weekend. Cheap consoles sell. Surely Sony knows this.

Does Sony react? Downgrading the specs this late might not be possible but SSD size, RAM amount and other features might get cut to reduce costs. Do they launch at $399?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony doesn't plan to introduce a serious alternative to GamePass, then I guess they don't need a digital only, cheaper console.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Next-gen should be about moving forward with the best hardware possible at the time, not holding things back. Sony absolutely shouldn't do what MS is doing (if they do it).

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
With MS reportedly going with just a 4 tflops console, it's likely they will be launching it for $299. The PS5 is sure to cost at least $499 with its ray traced hardware, supposedly the fastest SSD on the market, and a 10+ tflop GPU thats faster than anything AMD currently has on the market.

Would they blink and downgrade their specs? It was pointed out to me in the next gen thread that Lockhart was in MS's plans up until last year while Sony was designing this powerful console so clearly they didnt care back then. So why would they care now that MS is reviving it a year later.

That said, does era think Sony will still allow MS to launch with a console $200 cheaper than their next gen console? The Switch went down to $199 and sold almost a million units in a single weekend. Cheap consoles sell. Surely Sony knows this.

Does Sony react? Downgrading the specs this late might not be possible but SSD size, RAM amount and other features might get cut to reduce costs. Do they launch at $399?
Who knows how many of those 99$ xbox's have sold now, but I'd reckon this will be a large difference for a lot of people to buy the new Xbox because of the price mainly.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
christ, I thought something had been revealed and I had missed it.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
They will be fine at the start but they won't be able to ignore it forever hence why they were changing PSNow recently.

Nov 23, 2018
Xbox is an ecosystem while PlayStation is a console (as of today). Doesn't match their *current* vision. They'll do the PS5 and then PS5 Pro several years later.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
(1) Not a revival.
(2) Without PS Now matching GamePass for third party content at the least, there's no reason for a digital only console.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, lockhart isn't even competing with the same PS5 market since it doesn't play physical media, they automatically lost a big chunk of consumers with that, if they really feel threatened they can take a bigger loss on PS5 than planned, downgrading specs though? Fuck that.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
If Sony doesn't plan to introduce a serious alternative to GamePass, then I guess they don't need a digital only, cheaper console.
Its not being digital only that makes it cheaper, sony could make a cheaper console and with the extra 10$ add a driver.
Sony needs to react to game pass and to lockhart. In this moment Sony is loosing clients to Xbox and Switch.

Coma Ecliptic

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Personally I react to every rumor ever. I would expect no different from a multibillion $ corporation with portfolio planning for years, possibly decades.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Lockhart is not confirmed, how should sony react to something that maybe is not happening?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft DID revive that project, Sony has known about it far longer than we have.

Microsoft has never been good at surprising the world - their stuff always leaks out early. And if WE hear about something, it's basically guaranteed that their starkest competitor heard about it way before we did and has either adjusted their plans accordingly or decided not to.

Nov 11, 2017
Sony tends to let Microsoft lead the way with large changes like this, I'm sure if they react they will when they feel comfortable doing so.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
God I hope not. Next gen being held back by weak consoles would be a horrible decision.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
No, they should keep their baseline specs higher so their first party developers can concentrate on true next gen experiences, not worrying about supporting inferior specs.

They should continue to make PS4 cheaper and push that as their Lockhart competitor.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
User Banned (1 week): Console wars, history of similar behaviour
LOL
Sony react to this?

You dont think Sony knew about this ahead of time?
Sony doesn't need to react to anything MS does. MS isnt in the position to make anyone react.

The funny thing about this is that The ps4 was $100 cheaper than the xbox one for 5-6 months. since then the xbox one has been cheaper, and it didnt help not one bit.
Gamepass isnt making xbox's fly off the shelves. When people say Sony needs to react to MS i just laugh so hard. There is nothing to react to when you have a 3rd system selling 100 mill, and most of your exclusives are selling 10 million +. People are actually buying their games, unlike what people where doing with the xbox one.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That would be kind of a PS3 launch move. I am not sure they care to revisit that strategy.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Maybe try to come in at $399 if the prices of Lockhart and Anaconda are lower and higher than PS5.

I don't think they'll do an additional sku. Hell, Lockhart could be portable. That would blow my mind.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully not.

At most i could see them start giving a damn about the japanese market again with a kind of switch-like 5G tablet (cheap, for streaming ps now and from your ps4/5).

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They remain steady with their original intention going into the next generation.
However years from now I can see them trying to either introduce a PS5 Streambox similar to Lockhart or a PS5 Go, similar to Switch Lite.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sony will have already been fully aware about Microsoft's flip-flopping on whether to launch a lower specced console or not. I doubt yesterdays Kotaku article would have caught them off guard or anything.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Jim Ryan is on the phone today getting a PS5 Slim ready because of this rumor.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound like they don't have Scarlett in the mix at all and it's a choice between a 4tb machine vs a 10tb machine

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Launch at £400 - £470 add some Sony quality exclusives and that should be enough to cut through the noise.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think you answered your own question - if they were unmoved before, why now.

Since Pro was revealed, Sony has been pretty consistent in what they've said about generations, step-changes in baselines as a positive for the industry, etc. Things could change of course but there's no indication to date that they have or will.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any company that bows every time the wind blows is not going to get very far. They should stick to their vision.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't need to do anything.

Developers need to push back on it though.