• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's stable, I don't care about 30 v 60. I think most gamers don't care about hitting 60FPS so most developers are going to go for prettier games at 30 v less graphical power but at 60.

If you want 60 as a "standard" you should go PC

Oct 27, 2017
I never used to be particularly bothered about 60fps, until I got a dedicated gaming PC. Now most of the games I play are 60. I recently played through Uncharted: Lost Legacy on PS4 Pro and the drop to 30fps was really, really jarring.

Nov 14, 2017
Given that next gen is going for 4k, I reckon they'll push the eye candy and do 4k30. If a machine can do 4k30, it should do 1080p60.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics will have priority over frame rate. Its easier for the average joe to measure and console manufacturers aren't going to enforce 60 fps on their games either.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It would be great to have but it just is NOT happening. As long as devs have the 30fps with better graphics option they are going to use it.

I think next gen will have 1440p minimum with more 4K games and more 60fps games or ones with that option but in no way are we getting every game released at 4k60

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah curse those 'filthy casuls' for ruining gaming by not being cultured and sophisticated enough to appreciate the necessity of 60fps in EVERYTHING.
/s

bunch of fucking wankers.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
You prioritize framerate over resolution, others don't. You are not right or wrong, different tastes.
In a perfect world we would have both, but sometimes devs need to choose.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
If you have standards for how you'd like to play your games, don't expect a closed-platform's one-size-fits-all to meet it.

It doesn't really matter what those standards are. At some point a developer is going to make a decision on resolution, frame-rate, motion blur, chromatic aberration, control layout, visual trade-offs, or anything that goes against what you would do. On a closed-platform they're the dictator, and you just have to deal with it.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People say this at the start of every new gen. This time we'll get locked 60 in all games! I wish it were true.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn OP check twitter. Every major Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo exec is scrambling because you demand it. It's nice but more often than not they are absolutely going to try and aim for steady 30 fps if it means better visuals in any sense.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you want every game to play at 60fps, there's a box that will let you do that. You can even upgrade your parts whenever you want to get more frames out of your games.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Mandatory? Do you think people will protest at the devs offices if they release a 30 fps game?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It will never be standard as long as it's possible to lower performance for increased visual fidelity.

Even the N64 could have been a "60FPS Console" if Nintendo had mandated it. This is and always will be a design issue rather than a hardware issue (within certain reason).

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I personally prefer they push the envelope on graphics and world, etc, than compromising on the game to run 60 FPS on console. That's what high-end PCs will be for.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
never happening. 60 fps is nice but it's something only enthusiasts really give two shits about. stability matters more, if anything.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as long as graphics sell more games than framerate does it developers will use their resources to push graphics instead of gameplay

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just over here waiting for Bennett Foddy to release a 1 FPS game.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
On every thread I check about performance and framerates I still see people saying that "30 fps is fine" "I can't even see the difference from 30 to 60" etc.

Next gen is coming in 1 year and I really hope games will ran at 60 fps. I don't care about native 4k or RTX stuff.

All I need are 60 fps games on any resolution.. use any techniques that you need to reach even a "fake" 4k o whatever you want to do with it.. but please just secure those sweet 60 fps.
For me, it depends on the game. Turn-based RPGs/Strategy, Some Racing and Adventure, Survival, Shooters, are all fine at less than 60fps. Things where the utmost precision matters like fighting games, character action/souls-like, rhythm and platforming need high framerate unless designed around lfr.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be a mandatory frame rate, this is why I'll continue mainly playing on pc so I can optimize my games for 60fps+ (plan on going to 120 hz once i get a hdmi 2.1 tv).

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It will never be mandatory. No matter how much graphical horsepower they get, devs will always have to choose whether or not they want to sacrifice fidelity for performance.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
If I have to choose between 4k and 30 FPS and sub 4k and 60 FPS, I'll take 4k and 30 FPS. I don't play a ton of fast paced games, so I'm not as worried about frame rate. Give me that sweet, sweet resolution.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if the devs just would rather have 30? The most popular games aren't always the most visually impressive and 30fps.
If it doesn't look visually impressive, its kinda going to be a hard sell to the consumer. If they're on PC, they can have both and play with mods along the way.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah curse those 'filthy casuls' for ruining gaming by not being cultured and sophisticated enough to appreciate the necessity of 60fps in EVERYTHING.
/s

bunch of fucking wankers.

giphy.gif

Literally no one in this thread has expressed any such sentiment. Calm down.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
On every thread I check about performance and framerates I still see people saying that "30 fps is fine" "I can't even see the difference from 30 to 60" etc.

Next gen is coming in 1 year and I really hope games will ran at 60 fps. I don't care about native 4k or RTX stuff.

All I need are 60 fps games on any resolution.. use any techniques that you need to reach even a "fake" 4k o whatever you want to do with it.. but please just secure those sweet 60 fps.

Why is the word "mandatory" in your title?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
60 as an enforced standard won't happen but I'm optimistic for more games having performance modes tailored for VRR displays.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't super care about 60. 30 Hz is good for me as long as its rock solid.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I want the devs to make those choices. I would prefer for them all to be in 60fps but if they can't hit that because of some reason then that's ok too.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
60 fps will happen more often on games that don't use the extra horsepower due to budget or multiplatforms (like now), but flagship console stuff ends up being 30 fps because its harder to sell graphics if you target higher frame rates as the games will look less impressive than if you didn't by default. I never worry about it on consoles besides having a stable framerate without drops and stuttering. I got my PC for the 144hz stuff.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know that's what they do.. but with all the new horse power on the next gen consoles.. are we really gonna get 4k native games running at sub par 30 fps or even with bad frame pacing?
Yes. How is this even a question? No amount of "horsepower" in these machines will make every game next gen a solid 60 FPS.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't ever go to consoles for good graphics standards. I say that as someone who has owned both consoles and PCs for the last 2-3 decades.

Also graphics = frame rate for those still confused.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I can confirm I'm one of those people and FPS has never bothered me unless the game is visibly running like a slide show.
To me, 30 FPS feels almost like a slide show. 24 FPS is fine for movies, but in gaming, no way. I primarily play on PC and I drop all settings to low until I have 100+ FPS. If I don't have 100 FPS, I file it into a category where I will play it once I upgrade my hardware. I make exceptions for turn-based games and games where there's generally not a lot of motion. Also, I might make exceptions for shitty ports of great games if it's one of those "locked at X framerate" type of ports. I will begrudgingly play console exclusives at lower framerates but there's always an uncomfortable adjustment period.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
devs can barely get games to run at 30 locked most of the time with how far they push graphics. 60 is a pipedream.
it still remains pathetic to me that 60 isnt even a target most of the time considering how much it improves how a game looks and feels to play.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think you're the only one that believes that, OP. Pure wishful thinking. I'd like for every game to be 60fps as much as the next guy, but some developers will always prioritize fancier graphics.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I can't believe 30 FPS is still allowed."

*30 fps game comes out that you find yourself liking*

source.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I obviously like 60 fps game better but next gen isn't going to be the 60 fps gen. I've been hearing this every new console and it never happened, and it never will.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see 60fps mandated in my lifetime. Either in a literal sense as a manufacturer policy or a mandate from consumers.