• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Because of my profession I'm on the road alot, and all this time I had forgotten that PS4 has a remote play function. To those that use this feature, does it work well? Do you need a decent PC/laptop to use it? For my laptop (which is what I take with me to travel) these are my specs:

GPU: GTX 1060
CPU: i7-8750H
RAM: DDR4 SDRAM 16 GB

My home internet is AT&T Uverse, I think the 50mbps package. I plan to use this feature from hotel wi-fi and whatnot.

My questions are

1.) Does this work just like a desktop PC? I just remote in and I can move around on the UI just as I normally could if I was on the actual PS4 itself?
2.) What restrictions are there as far as playing games and save data? Accessibility to DLCs and such?

And I guess answers to anything important that I may be overlooking would help greatly as well. Thanks in advance everyone

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
My only experience was using my vita, and it was pretty laggy even just a room away. Haven't tried with my laptop yet, kinda curious myself now.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remote play 90% of my time on PS4. Once properly set up, it plays like a dream. I can be 40 ft away and still get 60fps in games that have it. I've played it enough to not even notice input lag. I've never had much success with the PC remote play, since my vita always worked so damn well. Even when I was 30+ miles away from home, I can play Monster hunter and gta online with ease. It's easily my favorite feature of this gen.

If you take the time to have it set up correctly, and it's amazing. Problem is, every home network is different, and require different settings.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I remote play 90% of my time on PS4. Once properly set up, it plays like a dream. I can be 40 ft away and still get 60fps in games that have it. I've played it enough to not even notice input lag. I've never had much success with the PC remote play, since my vita always worked so damn well. Even when I was 30+ miles away from home, I can play Monster hunter and gta online with ease. It's easily my favorite feature of this gen.

If you take the time to have it set up correctly, and it's amazing. Problem is, every home network is different, and require different settings.
The thing is I'm probably gonna be a few hundred miles away from my console...so I'm worried that my experience with it might be poor..

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The weak link will likely be the wifi connection where you are accessing from.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
I used it heaps on my VITA using my iphone as a tether and it was fine 80% of the time. Chews through data of course. But I played and finished Destiny 2 with it fine.
Wouldn't recommend multiplayer games, but single-player is pretty decent.
I'm based in Australia too where the internet is two tin cans connected by string.

When I use it at home so I don't hog the TV it works perfectly on my PC through my home network

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
It would primarily be used for single player games...I plan to finish Persona 5 and maybe play some Bloodstained

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It works great for me. I usually use it within the household, I have cat7 across the home and 1.5 gigabit internet, so I can also stream pretty well outside the home as well, albeit with some latency.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The thing is I'm probably gonna be a few hundred miles away from my console...so I'm worried that my experience with it might be poor..
I played remotely from over 70 miles away in a log cabin in the mountains. It worked great. Probably not for precise games like Street Fighter but most games worked well for me.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Possibly, but if your home network has a solid upload, and you get a good connection there, I imagine anywhere you go with good internet should be fairly decent. Likely not 60fps buttery smooth, but enough to play most games. Good luck with the setup

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would primarily be used for single player games...I plan to finish Persona 5 and maybe play some Bloodstained
Bloodstained won't be an easy game to play with the sort of input latency you're going to run into. And in my experience, Persona 5 - specifically - doesn't work as well with Remote Play as many other games do. I've noticed that some games perform better than others when played via RP, and Persona 5 wasn't a particularly smooth experience.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
I use remote play app with my crappy laptop 4GB Intel Celeron. PS4 on wi-fi and laptop on wi-fi works pretty good at night, during the day is a little laggy. Hard wired PS4 and Laptop perform like I am not even streaming and registers really well.

I have the benefit that I am close to one of their data center servers though.

Never use college wi-fi, airport wi-fi or fast food wi-fi will not work.

Try having a good hotspot plan or a hardwire connection.

Remote play works really well.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodstained won't be an easy game to play with the sort of input latency you're going to run into. And in my experience, Persona 5 - specifically - doesn't work as well with Remote Play as many other games do. I've noticed that some games perform better than others when played via RP, and Persona 5 wasn't a particularly smooth experience.
Damn....oh well I have Steam installed on my laptop and I have my Switch if its that bad

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I use remote play app with my crappy laptop 4GB Intel Celeron. PS4 on wi-fi and laptop on wi-fi works pretty good at night, during the day is a little laggy. Hard wired PS4 and Laptop perform like I am not even streaming and registers really well.

I have the benefit that I am close to one of their data center servers though.

Never use college wi-fi, airport wi-fi or fast food wi-fi will not work.

Try having a good hotspot plan or a hardwire connection.

Remote play works really well.
Well my laptop doesn't have a built in ethernet port so I'd have to get a USB to Ethernet. As far as gaming in a hotel goes...I may end up getting a portable hotspot device if they still sell those

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
It's just decent. Streaming on Steam is much better imo plus you are not forced to be on wifi. To game on a stream platform is great for slower based games like strategy/turn based rpgs and visual novels. At least for my experience.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Well my laptop doesn't have a built in ethernet port so I'd have to get a USB to Ethernet. As far as gaming in a hotel goes...I may end up getting a portable hotspot device if they still sell those

if the hotel offers a decent connection it should work well. I tried it once while on vacation didn't play anything high demanding though.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Damn....oh well I have Steam installed on my laptop and I have my Switch if its that bad
My experience is completely different. I used it mostly to play Persona because it was on my phone and didn't require much in terms of quick action so touchscreen controls didn't bother me. The game worked well for me.

Oct 26, 2017
I tried using Remote Play a handful of times on my laptop but, man, it always worked horrendously for me. Like the same game on a phone with pure touch screen controls would be a better experience in my eyes than Remote Play

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Works great on PC. Barely notice any input lag actually play Mortal Kombat on it sometimes.

I also use it to take screenshots in Persona 5 seeing as the capture feature is disabled in game. So I have it on my TV and the computer at the same time and I can't perceive any delay. I love it tbh.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Mileage varies. Some people say they can use it over the internet no problem at work. Meanwhile I can barely keep a connection at home 8 ft from my PS4. Both Steam Remote Play and Xbox Remote Play has worked pretty consistently (and well) for me so I don't know what's up.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
I have the Vita TV up in the bedroom and PS4 in the basement all on the same wifi and it works great. Never tried it from miles away, but would assume if both have strong networks then it will work fine.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did Spain to UK remote play a couple years ago using hotel WiFi, it worked fine. As others said though, stay away from MP or games with strict input timing.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I have a pretty standard setup, with PS4 wired directly to the router and Vita/laptop on wifi.

Never given me any major problems. I avoid it for competitive online and games that require strict reactions, etc.
But for sims (like Elite Dangerous) and "looser" action games (like Monster Hunter World) it works great.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
you do not need a beefy pc...just need a good stable network (that is hopefully devoid of 'noise').

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the entirety of The Last of Us Remastered via Vita remote play from New York to a console in Virginia. I have fiber and my friend had cable, not sure if his machine was on wifi or not at the time. When it was good it was very good, but there were many many times when I would just lose connection and have to ask him to reset the console because I couldn't connect anymore. Still got through the game and did multiple play through, it was tolerable but I dunno if I could stand it long term.

I feeeeel like there were some restrictions about going into the console settings but I can't remember specifically. It mostly behaved like you were playing locally. If someone's in the room they can even watch.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's really good for turn-based games.

I played most of Persona 5 on my Vita and it was a godsend. Not sure I would have finished it without the ease of a portable to go through all of the grinding and dialogue.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's completely unusable six foot away from my PS4, which is wired via ethernet even. Can barely maintain a connection for more than a minute at a time.

Experiences with it vary wildly, and there's next to no useful diagnostic information.

Your experience will vary.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Ive used it on both my vita and wired on my laptop. Wired have worked flawlessly(Ive even played Apex Legends without issues) while over wi-fi it can be a bit spotty but still playable.

The laptop ive used is from 2014 so you definitely dont need a good PC to use remote play well.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remote play On IOS work much better than my
Laptop or my vita

Can't wait for DS 4 to be compatible with iOS and have a real remote play device

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Remoteplay PC -> PS4 is great. I played about 300h of Monster Hunter World this way. At home, on the road, at work.
Remoteplay Phone App -> PS4 is very good if you have a PS4 controller to pair with the phone.
Remoteplay Vita -> PS4 is not recommended.

Things to take care of:
Wire the PS4 directly to your router.
Set the Remoteplay to 60fps in the PS4 settings locally. You can't change this during Remoteplay.
Keep PS4 in rest-mode or it wont turn on if you start the app.