• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
The Anthem demo has a lot of outlets lukewarm on the game and now Apex Legends has released the same month. Do you think the hype for Anthem as fizzled and the game won't meet EA's expectations?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they'll have that much of an influence on eachother..1 is a PvP only game, the other is PvE only.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
That demo and Bioware's current reputation have done enough damage on their own I'd say.
Agreed. That was not a great first impression and the section of game they chose to showcase isn't going to win them any new fans. Beyond that, I don't think there's as much overlap between fans. BR is its own monster.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Both gameplay are widely different and the public targeted is not the same at all.
So, no.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Anthem has no multiplayer
The people playing Apex are not the same people interested in Anthem

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem has no multiplayer
QchFA2q.png

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
It did for me. I was going to play Anthem simply because it was the new kid on the block. Now I can wait for a sale.

Since it's PVE only, it's not like starting later will mater.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, the both of them are time sinks.

OP
OP
RobotVM

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
It did for me. I was going to play Anthem simply because it was the new kid on the block. Now I can wait for a sale.

Since it's PVE only, it's not like starting later will mater.

I feel the same as you. Yes, Anthem is a totally different type of game, but now I will be spending more time playing Apex so I can wait for Anthem to drop in price.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
I would say minimal but not a negligible impact. Demo and EA's reputation overall has more of an impact on Anthem sales, on the downside imo.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with people saying they're both different games and won't effect each other. They're both large-scale multiplayer GaaS shooters. Yes, Apex is BR and Anthem is a PvE loot game, but people have limited time and if Alex is the hot game during Anthem's release window and it's free then it will make things difficult for Anthem.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a totally different genre and purely pvp. So it's very doubtful that it would impact Anthem in any way that matters.

Anthem own demos are likely to have done far more to impact it's sales negatively

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No different genres and very different gameplay. Also one is free. Its not that people now spend 60 bucks on Apex and then say "i already spend my 60 bucks, Anthem needs to wait"

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No? One is a F2P battle royale, the other is a $60 loot shooter with mechs that has no PVP. There's no overlap whatsoever.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Nah, I don't see it. Anthem isn't going to bring in the PvP crowd. It's going to bring the MMO and co-op crowd. There might be some overlap (like me, for instance), but I'll be playing both.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it does if you're strictly comparing game to game, but I think in the grand scheme of things:

1) Hearing about cool new free to play game that people are liking
doesn't help
2) Hearing about how bad Anthem demo is that for a game that isn't free and that most people aren't liking

So while I don't think one really cancels out the other, the fact is, there are good games out there right now and there's Anthem, which has to earn its way into people's homes.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
No. They are not the same game. Sure there might be some overlap in players but Anthem has no PvP so it would not be scratching that itch no matter what.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not a direct competitor, but I do think Apex Legends along with the Anthem demo have taken the winds out of Anthem's sails.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, people don't realize there's a huge overlap between these games' populations. One being PvE and the other PvP is a factor, but games nowadays are fighting for relevance and player engagement schemes. Battle passes, seasonal events, grinds as opposed to real money payments... the strategy for games like PUBG, Fortnite, Rocket League, League Of Legends, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4, Destiny, Anthem and now Apex Legends is to keep the players engaged, have them log in every day or almost every day, make them play constantly so that they don't have to open their wallets to buy the unlocks - make them feel their time is worth a lot in the games. This is important because it's very difficult for a player to be involved with more than 1 or 2 such games. I consider myself a very frequent gamer and already as is I can barely keep up with two such service-based games like Rocket League and Black Ops 4, barely even making the dailies in the former just because I lose out on too much otherwise.

Apex Legends went for the undercut on both Anthem and The Division 2. Sure, different games, but those who enjoy shooters in general will give this one a shot for free, and if they're addicted, it inevitably hurts those other games. It's a gamble, of course, because it could go the opposite way: people try out Apex Legends, enjoy it, but then they get caught up with Anthem or something and just "forget" Apex Legends, never really going back as newer and hotter games will lure their attention away. But there's absolutely no doubt that a major triple-A multiplayer FPS dropping mere days before another triple-A multiplayer (co-op) shooter arrives is going to have consequences. I don't think EA was smart with the dates at all, but if Apex Legends wasn't ready before, the more they wait the less space there can be in the BR scene. Oh, and it's been discussed to death already, but EA is also undermining their own Battlefield BR, also supposedly dropping in a couple weeks now for a game that already sold relatively poorly and to somewhat mixed reactions.

I think EA has a chance at having a hit with Apex Legends, but if that happens, it'll inevitably damage their other shooters coming out soon, and the same goes for The Division 2. Just look at games like Fortnite or PUBG: sure, they're 100 player PvP Battle Royale games, but they attracted dozens of millions of players who are now playing those games instead of playing other games in their free time. The player pool is not an infinite entity, and there's a large overlap between those who play online for the co-op and those who prefer PvP. Maybe Anthem will launch well, but I'm positive that without Apex Legends launching on its ass it would have sold better.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it will. If they weren't both EA games being promoted/sold through Origin, I could see the argument that they are different enough, but they are both multiplayer online shooters competing for peoples time and eyeballs in a very crowded February, and on one marketplace on PC. I think if Anthem would have released first, we would be asking the opposite question.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
After that initial demo, the negative press, and now a new, free game with really positive buzz dropping?

I could definitely see a world where Anthem is affected by Apex Legends.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
No it's a free2play battle royale it would not at all effect sales.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They're very different games. If anything it's a good strategy to get people to check out both. At least on PC, you'll be going to Origin and seeing promotion for both of them, then the $1 Origin Access deal, and that will probably hook you for a month.

I kinda feel like EA knew what they were doing with this.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
I think it hurt in the same way any game can potentially hurt any other game. Two games close to each other will have some convergence of audience, and people will have to decide which one they want.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. If Apex is keeping people occupied, they'll be less inclined to buy Anthem at launch.

May 1, 2018
They target completely different audiences, so I don't think so. If anything, it will hurt Battlefield V since their BR mode has yet to release. What it is doing though, is giving me just a shred of faith in the Star Wars game that Respawn is working on.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Anthem is a PvE game and Apex Legends is a BR game i couldnt give two shits about. I actually downloaded it. played one round. died on my very first firefight after collecting shit for ten minutes and deleted the game. it's like every BR game. I find it hilarious that gamers are all of a sudden ok with having to reload an entire game after dying once. i still remember how long loading times were mentioned as a negative for Battlefield games and how lack of engagement every few seconds was considered too slow.

Still, more power to people who enjoy this mode. It's just not for me. And i doubt people who find Anthem and Destiny enjoyable give two shits about BR.