• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
D6ur2-G-VUAAVIvg.jpg
First of all that's depressing as shit, even just having it open ended would have been better, second they couldn't even spell check the title card. At least TV shows like Ashes to Ashes and Lost had more definitive endings, despite them potentially not being the endings we may have wanted out of the shows. Even something like the Santa Clarita Diet which was canned without an ending at least gives us the ability to imagine what would have happened next.

This is just lazy and depressing all at the same time. Who thought this would have been good?!?

Does anyone else agree that this is probably one of, if not the crappiest ending to a TV show?

Anyone else got any others they'd like to share. I guess warn people of Spoilers.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Leap has a good ending imo, it's bittersweet that he chooses to help people forever by continuously leaping.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It was his choice, so I was fine with it.

Space: Above and Beyond has the worst ending. It's practically a middle finger to fans.

Almost all the hero characters die and stupidly.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I liked the ending. Not every story needs a 'happy ever after, all the characters settled down and lived their life in peace, their adventures completed.' He was a great, truly selfless hero that weighed up the good he had done and decided to keep doing it.

Last edited:

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
So many cancelled shows have "worse" endings.

Still mad about My Name is Earl.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
That ending was fantastic. Heartbreaking. And it was his choice. What a great show.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be alone on this but I actually think it's one of the most hopeful and theme-appropriate endings for a TV show. I don't see what's depressing in it? Sam chooses to continue to leap and save people, putting right what once went wrong. Even right now he's still out there in the timeline saving us and improving us. His altruism and love of mankind has no limit. The ending was perfectly in line with his personality IMO.

The lazy ending would have been making him just stop his life's mission and return home IMO.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
It was his choice, so I was fine with it.

Space: Above and Beyond has the worst ending. It's practically a middle finger to fans.

Almost all the hero characters die and stupidly.
To be fair they planned for 5 series but it was cancelled after 1. It was a cool concept and ahead of its time, these days it feels like it would do really well.

When the show debuted, it immediately attracted a devoted fanbase but unfortunately it did not draw a broad enough audience to count as a ratings success. Not helping matters was the fact that it was scheduled in the Sunday 7 PM EST timeslot which was typically used for family-friendly fare on ABC and NBC and that competed against ratings powerhouse 60 Minutes on CBS. Since the show was very expensive to produce (around $5 million per episode according to IMDb), FOX ended up cancelling it after only one season. The network was still trying to establish itself, and The X-Files was still a couple of years away from moving from cult status to Top 20 hit. Apparently execs decided that sticking with such an expensive series as Space: Above and Beyond that was not delivering on the ratings side was not the right strategy at that time.

The final episode ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger, but since the producers had enough notice of the cancellation, they tried to wrap up the story as best they could. The original plan was for the show to follow a five-year arc, but sadly only one year was completed. Fans lobbied for the show, but were unable to convince FOX to keep it going for a second year (foreshadowing what we would later see with Firefly)
www.cancelledscifi.com

Cancelled Too Soon: Space Above and Beyond (1995) - Cancelled Sci Fi

Why Was Space Above and Beyond Cancelled? It was scheduled in a bad timeslot and its was too expensive for its low ratings.

I thought it fit extremely well to his character and it actually made the show unforgettable for me because whenever I am out and about and see someone being helpful I always say to my self "that's probably Sam". I quite like the idea that in most of us there is a Sam.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched quantum leap so I don't have the full context of the actual quality/experience, but I strongly disagree with the sentiment that an unhappy/sad ending is a bad ending.

Rubber_Cat

Aug 30, 2019
As others said, it's a sad ending but not an awful one. It's been a while since I last watched the ending but I've always seen it as "God"/Al (or whoever he turns out to be) might have initially kicked off Sams leaping, guiding him to where he was needed in the first instance but after that it was Sam's own morals and sense of right and wrong and wanting to help folks that kept him leaping. "God"/Al tried to explain that in the last ep with his "you could go home any time" but Sam couldn't accept that and ended up never accepting that so just kept leaping. The fact he didn't have "Our"/Al to keep him going was the sad part of it all, him going on alone.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for self-sacrifice for the greater good stuff so no, it's awesome. Especially since he's not dying or taking on a life of total suffering or anything. It's similar in concept to any of the "wandering hero" stories. Western cowboys who never settle down anywhere but go from town to town bringing law to a lawless land, masterless samurai wandering the countryside protecting those who can't protect themselves, or hell, most closely to something like Doctor Who, an alien traveling through space and time and never letting themselves a chance to settle down.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a sad ending at all, Sam learned in the final episode that he can return home anytime if he wants to, the final leap we see is not like the previous ones were he leaped into random people, he chose to visit Al's fiancé, leaped there in person and not into someone else, saved her and Al's relationship and left. At that point he was seemingly in full in control of his leaps, never returning home was his choice, he had the chance to help countless people and did.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
sam is asked the ultimate question of whether or not his ego is more important than the very real, tangible work he does.

I think it'd be a bit more compelling if the show was more nihilistic or fatalistic like if the people he saved mostly fell into tragedy or shit regardless. but the show was too optimistic for that, I found it a fitting, powerful statement that he remained in a truly selfless and altruistic act.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's one of the best finales to any TV show.

Bruce McGill was also an excellent guest star for the episode.

Masterblaster

Nov 13, 2017
No its not. It's certainly not one that as a viewer I had hoped for Sam after all he had done but it fits with the character. Of course this wasn't supposed to be the final ending but since the show was cancelled this is what we got. Its bittersweet and is not the typical happy ending so it works just fine.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Quantum Leap has a good ending imo, it's bittersweet that he chooses to help people forever by continuously leaping.
This!

While I have hated that ending for years, having even seen it the night it was first show, it's grown on me.

How I Met Your Mother has the worst ending of all TV history.

And Star vs The Univese.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain. One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself, forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Mistwalker

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt it was a bit of a gut punch. It would've been easier to accept for me personally if they hadn't revealed that Sam had a wife waiting for him, who Sam (BS plot device alert) forgets exists as a result of his leaping. Bittersweet, maybe, at best. It certainly isn't a happy ending.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Typo aside, I hated it on the first airing, but have come to love it.

It's in the opening credits of each episode... Sam hoped each next leap would be the leap home. He wasn't putting things right what once went wrong purely out of altruism.

Refusing to help Al when he had the chance, because he didn't think it was the *right* person to help to make him get closer to home was telling.

When he had the chance to save his own brother, he took it, despite that costing someone else their life.

The barman is right to call Sam out for this and Sam realized he has to do good *because it's the right thing to do* and Sam never getting home isn't tragic at all because it means that he is still out there saving people, and given the weird mix of abilities and the abilities of the people he leaps into that he seemed to be able to access, he can potentially keep doing that for a long time.

It's exactly as Diipu says here:

I might be alone on this but I actually think it's one of the most hopeful and theme-appropriate endings for a TV show. I don't see what's depressing in it? Sam chooses to continue to leap and save people, putting right what once went wrong. Even right now he's still out there in the timeline saving us and improving us. His altruism and love of mankind has no limit. The ending was perfectly in line with his personality IMO.

The lazy ending would have been making him just stop his life's mission and return home IMO.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
show hints that Sam's memory was deteriorating to the extent he eventually wouldn't be aware who he was or that he was "lost"

still sad, but slightly less so

Dec 31, 2017
Pretty good ending.

Topped by Ecco:Tides of Time.

A legendary time traveling dolphin that brought a golden age to his time.

He messes with time so much he's lost and never seen again.

And it turn out the vortex, horrific xenomorphs that has been terrorizing the world for two games, are trapped in hells aquarium. Encountering predators they can't overpower. Leaving them now a part of Earth's food chain. Crustaceans of the previous games are their descendants, explaining why these regular enemies have been so hostile to Ecco for two games.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I think the wording is part of the problem. Just saying "he never returned" isn't the point. They were in a rush and could have come to the same conclusion but just presented it better.