• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does PS Plus provide value to you?

• Yes, I use all its benefits

Votes: 479 35.0%
  • No, Its a waste of money (even if I do use it)

Votes: 469 34.3%
  • I use it for multiplayer

Votes: 338 24.7%
  • I use it for the free games

Votes: 417 30.5%
  • I use it for the discounts

Votes: 288 21.1%
  • I use it for cloud saves

Votes: 305 22.3%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2017
While I know everyone has different gaming habits, and some may find a lot of value in this service, I am not entirely sure I see value in PS Plus. Its become a service that I sub to every year to play one game that came out that has multiplayer. For years I have questioned whether or not it has any actual value. This year, I finally remembered to turn off auto renew.

For $70 CAD a year, you get:

• Two free games a month
  • Online multiplayer
  • Some game discounts
  • Cloud Saves

Two free games a month sounds amazing, and at some point during the early years of this service I thought it provided good value. However, I often find no interest in most of the games now, or I have played them.

Online multiplayer is an artificial value that got stuffed into it so they could come up with a reason to charge you. Why is multiplayer for payed games locked behind a subscription service? This model also doesn't seem to make as much sense anymore with the abundance of F2P games, battle passes, and additional transactions.

The discounts don't really stand out out to me, and I barely make use of them.

I cant remember the last time I used a cloud save.

This is a service that relies on keeping MP locked away so you will invest in it and earn them some extra cash. It is an outdated service that doesn't stand on its own anymore, especially with the rise of game pass, xcloud, and PS Now. They should allow free MP, and merge the member discounts with PS Now. However, the the only reason why this service has any value is because they keep MP behind a paywall, so I doubt we will see that happen.

What do you think about PS Plus? Does it still make sense with the rise of other services? Should they make adjustments to their services? Do you find value in it?

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
No point in having it when I play most MP games on PC with free online.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever paid full price for it, but it has been worth it for 1 or 2 free games a year that I actually play and the discounts.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Discounts alone pay for my PS+ every year, but I do get the free games every month even if I don't play them as much and I also play stuff like Monster Hunter online. But yea, buying about 3 games a year with a discount pays for my year, since I buy years at a discount.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I rarely play the free games as I usually buy games I want long before they reach Plus and I play online... occasionally. It's definitely not worth full price, but I haven't paid full price for the service in a long, long time.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes. I play multiplayer. I am all digital. I've bought multiple years for $30-ish dollars so ~$2.50 a month is not even something I think about at this point.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed Sony have been pushing more multiplayer games lately for IGC. Seems like a good push for PS+.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
It gives me...
online multiplayer
cloud save
exclusive discount
~3 worthwhile games a year
So it's okay

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Very much so, I get free games I can play and I get to Play the multiplayer games I love. I mean I'd rather pay nothing to play online, but oh well.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I typically pay ~$30 a year and with that, I have used discounts and gotten plenty of free games. Well worth it for those two benefits alone.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely.

It virtually pays for itself and I save way more than the subscription fee is. Even more so when I don't pay full price for it..

Plus obviously the 24 games you get annually.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Meh. I've gone off MP and would prefer to play my backlog. Most of the Plus games that I don't already have are meh, and I could do without. I'll probably still re-up if I can get it for half price though.

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
Fall Guys, and random other games that pop up with multi are great with friends.

Yeah that and Rocket League were nice surprises.

Discounts alone pay for my PS+ every year, but I do get the free games every month even if I don't play them as much and I also play stuff like Monster Hunter online. But yea, buying about 3 games a year with a discount pays for my year, since I buy years at a discount.

Thats smart, how do you get PS Plus at a discount?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's an alright value. It gives me cool games more often than not and the discounts are nice... and unfortunately I'd pay them even if the benefits were worse simply because I play online a lot.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

This was the case for myself all the way back when it first started on the PS3, where online was free. There were so many discounts and the free games, I had to sign up.

Last edited:

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Like someone else said up-thread, the discounts alone cover the cost of it for me and then some, the free games are actually a bit extraneous for me, becaue I almost always own most of them already by the time they come up in the rotation, but it's a nice way to find out about new games I might have missed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. I play MP with my bud, so I guess. Realistically I only play one or two of the PS Plus games a year, it's usually stuff I don't care about, or have long since purchased and played already

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I buy my games digitally, so I use a lot of the Plus discounts.

I don't play most of the offered free games, because I already have a huge backlog, but sometimes there is some cool stuff there.

And I play multiplayer online, so I can't dodge Plus.

It's worth paying for it, at the end of the day.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
For me yes. I was on it even before the PS4 with the introduction of instant game collection on ps3. I use all the benefits and the discounts are great. Even free to play games usually have bundles and such which is an added bonus.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah. I have SO many fucking games from PS+ alone. I have yet to play lol

Coltd99

Nov 1, 2017
Playing online, cloud storage, discounts, and free games. The discounts really do add up over time. I have saved hundreds if not over a thousand bucks over the years thanks to PS plus. Cloud storage has also saved me from losing big saves when my PS4 needed to be factory reset.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah that and Rocket League were nice surprises.

Thats smart, how do you get PS Plus at a discount?

PS+ generally goes on sale around Christmas here in Canada, but you can find deals throughout the year. Since it generally costs north of $70 CADhere for a year of PS+, you can get it on sale for anywhere between $35-$50 if you keep your eyes open. Usually via digital code but sometimes retailers have physical code cards instead.

The last time there was a sale I loaded up on three or four years of plus, I'm pretty sure I'm good until 2023.

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped Plus a couple years ago, but I bought a year's worth to activate when I get the PS5. There are several games in the collection I don't own, and I figure maybe the first year of a console might be when Sony tries to put their best foot forward with the free games. We'll see.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, saved plenty through it. Though found the discounts to have gotten pretty weak vs a couple years ago.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The value for me comes from the random games that it gives, which are games that i usually dont buy so its a nice surprise every month even if its still bullshit that the multiplayer is gated by it. Also with the discounts throughout the year it definitely justifies the cost at least

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
No, discounts being tied to subs aren't really much of a saving, the free games got worse over time by the time I stopped subs not sure how it was now but I got into Ps+ well before online was mandatory, don't think there's really much value in paying for online experience. The good thing is that there's a lot more F2P games now and that's not behind a paywall.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I use it for the free games. But also it's a waste of money. I don't use it for online play and to tell the truth I rarely play the free games, so I'll probably let my subscription lapse.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I always reup my subscription when it's on sale and I probably get back most of that on discounts. So I kind of see it as $20-30 a year for two random games a year which is fine I guess. Fall Guys alone gave me enough value for an entire years worth. However I don't see online multiplayer and cloud saves as value though.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's the discounts. I get each year of PS+ for $30 thanks to those cards that go on sale all the freaking time, and I definitely get more than $30 in discounts over the course of the year. I don't play multiplayer on PS, but the cloud saves and free games are definitely nice perks.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Had it for years and only keep for cloud saves and the free games.
Honestly there hasn't been a free game in st least 2 years that I either didn't already own or had 0 interest in.
I don't consider it a good value for me personally but I'm stick with it I guess...

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Multiplayer and the discounts are significant for me.

I rarely give a crap about the free games

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, I use it to play multiplayer with my wife. Additionally the discounts are great. The 'free' games are a bonus.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Having to pay to play online is one of the worst things Microsoft should be admonished for by introducing this to the gaming landscape. From the inception point of xbox live and by extension PS plus and to this day it is terrible value.

Since we are already bending over for them i guess it's nice that they are able to lube us up by monthly games, discounts and features (cloud saves).

What is especially strange is that there are some free to play games which get around this paywall somehow, I'm not sure what kind of deal there is but clearly it doesn't need to be behind a paywall to access multiplayer online.

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
This was the case for myself all the way back when it first started on the PS3, where online was free. There were so many discounts and the free games, I had to sign up.

Edit-

It happens various parts of the year now, that I don't think it's needed to stack anymore... can get deals from $30-$40.. ($40 one's are from more commercialized places though, so I just get those instead.. and hell I think Sony has sales for BlackFriday or I might be misremembering)
Sony and retailers have promos.

Personally I get them cheaper through my job, staff pricing.
PS+ generally goes on sale around Christmas here in Canada, but you can find deals throughout the year. Since it generally costs north of $70 CADhere for a year of PS+, you can get it on sale for anywhere between $35-$50 if you keep your eyes open. Usually via digital code but sometimes retailers have physical code cards instead.

The last time there was a sale I loaded up on three or four years of plus, I'm pretty sure I'm good until 2023.

I will have to keep an eye out this year at retailers. I usually only see it go to $50 or $55 CAD on PSN, so maybe I haven't seen some of the better sales. Though that isn't that bad anyways.

Oct 30, 2017
I have reliably been purchasing it for $30 for a few years now.

Fall Guys, a $20 game has provided me with dozens of hours of fun. The PS+ offerings are solid pretty often, too.
The discounts are nice, too.

It's a pretty solid service with a fair amount of value. And the fact that it is not required for F2P is also very fair.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I basically only use it to play Street Fighter. I almost never get the free games.

I think that it's a rip-off.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the PS3 days it was amazing. Since PS4 the quality of the games (and the fact you only get two now) means it only just edges out its worth. Usually 1-2 games a year only from Plus that I play and don't own. I probably make up the rest in discounts, though who to say without PS+ existing those discounts wouldn't be the same?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is a heavy user of PSN sales and promos, PS+ particulary at the discounted rate I pick up codes for pays for itself every year.